Restroom or bathroom?

Where do you see the man about the dog?

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#21  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 7:15 am

The_Piper wrote:
Fallible wrote:I am unable to understand how either word actually describes a toilet. You don't go there to rest, and it doesn't have a bath in it.

Bathrooms in homes usually do have bath tubs or shower stalls. Restrooms at buildings other than homes usually don't, but if you call it a bathroom, usually no one gets pedantic about it, they know what you mean. You can call it a shitter too, and a slew of other slang words work, but that's usually among non-strangers. I'm not going to ask the secretary at a real estate officce where the hopper is, for instance. I could, but their face may turn red.
some people call it the toilet as well, but not me, because a. I'm civilized, and b. it's a room containing a toilet. I could just call it the sink and be on just as firm ground. Why not call it the windowfucking sill?


Toilet is the civilized word here. Possibly the only more civilized word is lavatory, but no one says that. Makes more sense to me to name the room after something that's actually in it, rather than something that's only sometimes in it, and after the thing that people usually want to use when they ask where it is. I would say most people here call it a loo, supposedly from the French exclamation (gardez l'eau) to get out of the way down below, because I'm chucking my shit and piss out into the street. Very civilized, I'm sure you agree.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#22  Postby zoon » Jun 10, 2016 7:35 am

Both toilet and lavatory originally referred to washing rather than excretion. Perhaps euphemisms need to be reinvented every hundred years or so?
User avatar
zoon
 
Posts: 3230

Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#23  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2016 7:37 am

Over here it's called the toilet.
The bathroom is where you take a shower/bath. Most have a toilet as well, but it's not the main attraction so to speak.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31087
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#24  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2016 7:38 am

Fallible wrote:I am unable to understand how either word actually describes a toilet. You don't go there to rest, and it doesn't have a bath in it.

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31087
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#25  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2016 7:40 am

scott1328 wrote:In my area, it is called "bathroom" if the room with the toilet has a shower or tub in it. It is called a "powder room" if the room with the toilet in it has a sink and mirror in it, but no shower or tub. If the toilet is alone in small room it is called a "water closet" or WC

That's the other common name over here for toilet stalls.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31087
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#26  Postby NineBerry » Jun 10, 2016 8:51 am

Fallible wrote:I am unable to understand how either word actually describes a toilet. You don't go there to rest, and it doesn't have a bath in it.


toilet (n.) Look up toilet at Dictionary.com
1530s, earliest in English in an obsolete sense "cover or bag for clothes," from Middle French toilette "a cloth; a bag for clothes," diminutive of toile "cloth, net" (see toil (n.2)). Toilet acquired an association with upper class dressing by 18c., through the specific sense "a fine cloth cover on the dressing table for the articles spread upon it;" thence "the articles, collectively, used in dressing" (mirror, bottles, brushes, combs, etc.). Subsequent sense evolution in English (mostly following French uses) is to "act or process of dressing," especially the dressing and powdering of the hair (1680s); then "a dressing room" (1819), especially one with a lavatory attached; then "lavatory or porcelain plumbing fixture" (1895), an American euphemistic use.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sea ... rch=toilet

:dunno: :dunno:
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#27  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 9:21 am

Yes, doing one's toilet or being at one's toilet used to mean doing one's ablutions and getting dressed in the past. And yet when I say I'm having a new toilet put in, or that my toilet is blocked, no one thinks I'm getting a new dressing table or that my usual daily wig powdering ritual has been prevented. Everyone knows I'm getting, or am having trouble with, a porcelain receptacle designed to hygienically dispose of human waste products, because the word 'toilet' now means that. Even people who call it a bathroom don't say they're getting a new bath when they get a new toilet, and even people people who call it a rest room don't say their rest is blocked when their toilet is.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#28  Postby Sendraks » Jun 10, 2016 9:31 am

I'm going to the toilet or I'm going to the loo.

If I'm at home and the home has the toilet located in the bathroom, then I might say I'm going to the bathroom because, factually, that is the room I am going to in order to use the toilet.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#29  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2016 9:38 am

Sendraks wrote:I'm going to the toilet or I'm going to the loo.

If I'm at home and the home has the toilet located in the bathroom, then I might say I'm going to the bathroom because, factually, that is the room I am going to in order to use the toilet.

We still say toilet in that situation because that's the aspect of the room we'd be using.
But I see your point.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31087
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#30  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 9:47 am

Yep, I would still say I'm going to the toilet or the loo (I mean if I'm with people I know well I might say I'm going for a wee, but that's TMI in most situations. Something that's a hangover from childhood is that if anyone was going to do a shit, they'd say 'I'm going to THE loo', as opposed to just 'the loo', which I occasionally still say now :tehe: ).
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#31  Postby Sendraks » Jun 10, 2016 10:00 am

Sometimes I don't really know until I'm there what the nature of the business in question will be. You think it is going to be a brief visit but upon arrival it turns out some reading material is necessary.

And sometimes the reverse is true.

Either way, I've never really felt the need to give any special emphasis to the purpose of my visit.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#32  Postby Evolving » Jun 10, 2016 10:15 am

Fascinatingly, in Italy you go to the bagno (bath).
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
User avatar
Evolving
 
Name: Serafina Pekkala
Posts: 11993
Female

Country: Luxembourg
Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#33  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 10:18 am

Sendraks wrote:Sometimes I don't really know until I'm there what the nature of the business in question will be. You think it is going to be a brief visit but upon arrival it turns out some reading material is necessary.

And sometimes the reverse is true.

Either way, I've never really felt the need to give any special emphasis to the purpose of my visit.


Your ways are unfamiliar to me. Oh, to be of such a free and easy disposition as to simply visit the convenience and be at peace with whatever eventuality presents itself at that juncture. Alas, I am always aware in advance, although I do find this to be advantageous to my sensibilities, given that a specific mode of visitation always necessitates a more lengthy ritual concerning the immersion of my person entire within some form of head-to-toe cleansing receptacle. I have gathered over the course of my tenure within this shroud of flesh and bone that this time-consuming and thorough habit renders me fit to bear the epithet 'fussy', or 'OCD'. I maintain that it is simply hygienic, which is, to my mind, a quality for which it is perfectly appropriate to strive. For all souls know that cleanliness is next to godliness.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#34  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2016 11:10 am

Sendraks wrote:Sometimes I don't really know until I'm there what the nature of the business in question will be. You think it is going to be a brief visit but upon arrival it turns out some reading material is necessary.

And sometimes the reverse is true.

Either way, I've never really felt the need to give any special emphasis to the purpose of my visit.

I don't either, but if someone does ask where I'm going, or if I need to interrupts someone, I'd say I would be going to the toilet, not the bathroom.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31087
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#35  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 10, 2016 11:19 am

Some of us have enough self-control that we need never visit these rooms and perform the sinful act of leaving.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 18769
Age: 34
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#36  Postby Sendraks » Jun 10, 2016 11:25 am

Fallible wrote:Your ways are unfamiliar to me. Oh, to be of such a free and easy disposition as to simply visit the convenience and be at peace with whatever eventuality presents itself at that juncture.


I wouldn't describe it as being "free and easy" and more one of being inconveniently caught out by the demands of my internal workings. It is not helpful to think you're nipping quickly to the loo (maybe something is on the stove) and discovering that your visit is going to be longer than intended. Nor do I appreciate finding that my intention to engage in robust business is thwarted and I leave feeling that the task is going to be carried forward to a less convenient time.

Free and easy this ain't.

Especially when operating outside of the confines of what I consider to be safe environs. Finding myself needing to do some heavy lifting in an unfamiliar lavatory, maybe at someone else's house, is a terrifying circumstance.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#37  Postby The_Piper » Jun 10, 2016 11:35 am

Fallible wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Fallible wrote:I am unable to understand how either word actually describes a toilet. You don't go there to rest, and it doesn't have a bath in it.

Bathrooms in homes usually do have bath tubs or shower stalls. Restrooms at buildings other than homes usually don't, but if you call it a bathroom, usually no one gets pedantic about it, they know what you mean. You can call it a shitter too, and a slew of other slang words work, but that's usually among non-strangers. I'm not going to ask the secretary at a real estate officce where the hopper is, for instance. I could, but their face may turn red.
some people call it the toilet as well, but not me, because a. I'm civilized, and b. it's a room containing a toilet. I could just call it the sink and be on just as firm ground. Why not call it the windowfucking sill?


Toilet is the civilized word here.
Well yeah, that's because you guys speak a less civilized version of my language. Sheesh. :teef:
Fallible wrote:
Possibly the only more civilized word is lavatory, but no one says that. Makes more sense to me to name the room after something that's actually in it, rather than something that's only sometimes in it, and after the thing that people usually want to use when they ask where it is. I would say most people here call it a loo, supposedly from the French exclamation (gardez l'eau) to get out of the way down below, because I'm chucking my shit and piss out into the street. Very civilized, I'm sure you agree.
Back from the bedpan days possibly. Maybe I wouldn't be a slight germophobe if I lived back then. I'm also a slight smellophobe, when it comes to human waste. :yuk:
Thank Mr. Woodchuckles for flush toilets! :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28546
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#38  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 10, 2016 11:38 am

Sendraks wrote:
Fallible wrote:Your ways are unfamiliar to me. Oh, to be of such a free and easy disposition as to simply visit the convenience and be at peace with whatever eventuality presents itself at that juncture.


I wouldn't describe it as being "free and easy" and more one of being inconveniently caught out by the demands of my internal workings. It is not helpful to think you're nipping quickly to the loo (maybe something is on the stove) and discovering that your visit is going to be longer than intended. Nor do I appreciate finding that my intention to engage in robust business is thwarted and I leave feeling that the task is going to be carried forward to a less convenient time.

Free and easy this ain't.

Especially when operating outside of the confines of what I consider to be safe environs. Finding myself needing to do some heavy lifting in an unfamiliar lavatory, maybe at someone else's house, is a terrifying circumstance.

Can certainly empathise with the above.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31087
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#39  Postby The_Piper » Jun 10, 2016 11:42 am

Evolving wrote:Fascinatingly, in Italy you go to the bagno (bath).

Hmm, it's not batho?
Il batho di poopi.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28546
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#40  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 11:44 am

Ah well, discovering that one has need of the facilities really quite urgently is a bane upon the existence of us all.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Linguistics

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest