Restroom or bathroom?

Where do you see the man about the dog?

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#41  Postby Evolving » Jun 10, 2016 11:46 am

I was in Estonia once and saw a sign on a door saying "Tualet". If you read it out loud you realise what it means. (I wonder what they used to call it before that posh foreign word came in.)
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
User avatar
Evolving
 
Name: Serafina Pekkala
Posts: 11993
Female

Country: Luxembourg
Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#42  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jun 10, 2016 12:35 pm

What's a Latin word, which means "place wherein things-we-wish-not-to-speak-about-for-one-reason-or-another are done"?

Really, it's another of the fun subject areas where the complexities and absurdities of human interactions with themselves and each other are cacophonously illustrated.
User avatar
igorfrankensteen
 
Name: michael e munson
Posts: 2114
Age: 67
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#43  Postby Sendraks » Jun 10, 2016 12:45 pm

igorfrankensteen wrote:What's a Latin word, which means "place wherein things-we-wish-not-to-speak-about-for-one-reason-or-another are done"?


Parliament? ;)
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#44  Postby felltoearth » Jun 10, 2016 12:45 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Bathroom or washroom.


This. But I do remeber being in Eatons with my mom when I was a lad and I was tired, and pointing to the sign asked to go to the restroom.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14076
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#45  Postby The_Piper » Jun 10, 2016 1:13 pm

That's right, in American English, the toilet refers to the old Yankee stadium. The new Yankee stadium is referred to as the new toilet.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28572
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#46  Postby don't get me started » Jun 10, 2016 1:20 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Fallible wrote:I am unable to understand how either word actually describes a toilet. You don't go there to rest, and it doesn't have a bath in it.

Bathrooms in homes usually do have bath tubs or shower stalls. Restrooms at buildings other than homes usually don't, but if you call it a bathroom, usually no one gets pedantic about it, they know what you mean. You can call it a shitter too, and a slew of other slang words work, but that's usually among non-strangers. I'm not going to ask the secretary at a real estate officce where the hopper is, for instance. I could, but their face may turn red.
some people call it the toilet as well, but not me, because a. I'm civilized, and b. it's a room containing a toilet. I could just call it the sink and be on just as firm ground. Why not call it the windowfucking sill?


Oh, this is in language in the way we poor humans deal with reality. Calling the room after its main feature (a toilet) is entirely logical and unambiguous. It's metonymy.

Consider another aspect of English... 'Door'.
If you say " He knocked on the door" you mean he banged his knuckles on a movable panel, maybe made of wood, metal, glass or whatever, and maybe opening on hinges or sliding on rollers or whatever."
But if you say " he walked through the door." you mean he transited the space that can be occupied by the aforementioned panel, while it is in the position generally accepted as open, NOT he passed through the physical material of the panel.
More properly, we should say " he walked through the door hole." but, of course nobody says this, We understand intuitively the difference between the referent 'door' in 'close the door' and 'walk through the door'.
Similarly, we understand the meaning of 'go to the toilet' as 'go to the room where the toilet is located'.

As an adendum, my students are often amused when I tell them that my name can refer to:
a) a toilet
b) a prostitute's customer
C) an unidentified dead body
don't get me started
 
Posts: 1143

Country: Japan
Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#47  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 1:40 pm

:lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#48  Postby Alan B » Jun 10, 2016 3:21 pm

I don't have a name for this room where the lavatory, shower and sink are kept.

It is simply 'I'm going to the loo' or 'I'm going to have a shower'' There's no need to get all twee and prissy with stupid names like 'Bathroom' or 'Restroom'.

:doh:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#49  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 10, 2016 5:30 pm

I only ever hear them referred to as bathroom and restroom: bathroom for homes (because they usually have bathtubs) and restrooms for public places (because you need a rest after holding it in all day :tongue: )
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14645
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#50  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 5:35 pm

I'm assuming that like here, you sometimes have toilets on the ground floor of a 2-storey house in addition to the one or more upstairs, and am wondering what you would call that.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#51  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm assuming that like here, you sometimes have toilets on the ground floor of a 2-storey house in addition to the one or more upstairs, and am wondering what you would call that.

I'd still call it a bathroom, because it's in a house. Because you could always expand the room and add a bath, whereas the restoom at Applebee's is unlikely to do so. As you can see, my reathoning ith impeccable.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14645
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#52  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 5:41 pm

:lol: OK.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#53  Postby monkeyboy » Jun 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm assuming that like here, you sometimes have toilets on the ground floor of a 2-storey house in addition to the one or more upstairs, and am wondering what you would call that.

Call them what you like but be clear on their purpose. Our downstairs loo has a timer light switch. You click it, it goes off after 2 mins. Ample time to urinate, wash hands and leave. There is no reading material as can be found upstairs. The window is permanently open and the radiator doesn't work, ever.

For it has been said, "we have a downstairs wc, into which we do not pass solids!"
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
User avatar
monkeyboy
 
Posts: 5475
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#54  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 6:22 pm

:rofl:

Do you also have a toad collection?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#55  Postby monkeyboy » Jun 10, 2016 6:31 pm

There is a sizeable basement here.........hmmmm
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
User avatar
monkeyboy
 
Posts: 5475
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#56  Postby laklak » Jun 10, 2016 6:37 pm

I generally use euphemisms when in polite company. I might, for example, say "excuse me, but where might I go to drain the lizard?" or perhaps "I need to take a dump, where's the Little Boy's Room?" "Pinch a loaf" is another polite phrase, or "have a slash".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#57  Postby felltoearth » Jun 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Drop off the kids.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14076
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#58  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 8:48 pm

:lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#59  Postby monkeyboy » Jun 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Drop anchor in poo bay.

Need to go, I'm touching cloth/I've got a turtles head situation/monkey's arm

Depth charge fuses are set.

Off to walk the dog/release the hounds

Lose some weight

Remind the toilet who's the daddy!
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
User avatar
monkeyboy
 
Posts: 5475
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Restroom or bathroom?

#60  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 10, 2016 9:23 pm

Bomb the porcelain harbor is my favorite.

Also, gotta go boom-boom.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14645
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Linguistics

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest