The definition of a "mental disorder."

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: The definition of a "mental disorder."

#61  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Suggestions for a better definition?

How about this - any thought or behaviour which the majority of local society considers to be maladaptive.

I said (a couple of times) to my lady friend earlier today that this redefinition is my crowning achievement to date.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 06, 2018 8:21 pm

That's incredibly sad.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 06, 2018 10:59 pm

:considers posting yet another Idiocracy clip:
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#64  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Go ahead, it'll be just as meaningless to anyone but you as all the others.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Corneel » Mar 10, 2018 12:24 am

So WTF has this to do with linguistics?
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#66  Postby John Platko » Mar 10, 2018 3:14 am

Corneel wrote:So WTF has this to do with linguistics?

:scratch: Maybe ...

lin·guis·tics
liNGˈɡwistiks/
noun
noun: linguistics
the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of morphology, syntax, phonetics, and semantics. Specific branches of linguistics include sociolinguistics, dialectology, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics, historical-comparative linguistics, and applied linguistics.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Keep It Real » Jul 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Had a thought yesterday, and this is probably as good a thread for it as any.

Is it possible for a psychopath to be an "cunt"?
Is it possible for somebody with Down Syndrome to be a "moron"?
Is it possible for somebody with Asperger's to be a "asshole"?
Is it possible for somebody with bipolar to be "nutty as a fruitcake"?
Is it possible for somebody with an IQ of 80 to be an "idiot"?
Is it possible for a pathological liar to be "full of shit"?
Is it possible for an addict to be "irresponsible"?

etc etc etc

Seems to me that once somebody is labelled as being "defective" all is forgiven, and yet in what way are non-labelled/diagnosed neural patterns which result in maladaptive thought/behaviour any more deserving of hostile and/or derogatory terminology? Beats me...
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby felltoearth » Jul 22, 2018 3:32 am

A diagnosis isn’t a label as it says nothing about the person on the whole.
A person with Aspergers can be just as much an asshole as a paraplegic. There is no measure for “asshole.” It’s an adjective not a pathology.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#69  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 22, 2018 5:35 am

Terms found in the psychological or medical literature are descriptions of conditions
while derogatory ones are more descriptions of the actual person with the condition

Calling a psychopath a cunt for example tells you absolutely nothing at all about their psychopathy
It is also unreliable as it will be based upon the subjective interpretation of the one using the term

Psychologists and psychiatrists tend to operate to a more rigorous standard of classification as they are doctors
and therefore understand the scientific method. There are for example 22 different classifications for criminal
psychopathy. There are not 22 classifications for cunt even though like many things it also exists on a spectrum
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#70  Postby zoon » Jul 22, 2018 9:03 am

Keep It Real wrote:Had a thought yesterday, and this is probably as good a thread for it as any.

Is it possible for a psychopath to be an "cunt"?
Is it possible for somebody with Down Syndrome to be a "moron"?
Is it possible for somebody with Asperger's to be a "asshole"?
Is it possible for somebody with bipolar to be "nutty as a fruitcake"?
Is it possible for somebody with an IQ of 80 to be an "idiot"?
Is it possible for a pathological liar to be "full of shit"?
Is it possible for an addict to be "irresponsible"?

etc etc etc

Seems to me that once somebody is labelled as being "defective" all is forgiven, and yet in what way are non-labelled/diagnosed neural patterns which result in maladaptive thought/behaviour any more deserving of hostile and/or derogatory terminology? Beats me...

A matter of compatibilist free will? All of us at one time or another are liable to behave in cuntish, moronic, etc ways. For those of us with normal, healthy wiring in the brain, being told we are behaving in those ways, i.e. being called names, is likely to bring about an improvement in behaviour, we are being threatened with group sanctions. Calling people names often works as a deterrent. By contrast, for people with Down's Syndrome, Asperger's etc., no amount of calling names will bring about a change in behaviour, these people have the misfortune to be incapable of the types of highly complex self-control needed to behave otherwise. As a result of their condition, people with Down's Syndrome, Asperger's etc are unlikely to achieve the high status or well-paying jobs which remain open to the normal person who changes their ways after being called names. Since calling them names doesn't work as a deterrent, it's merely pointless and cruel. ?
zoon

Print view this post

#71  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am

zoon wrote:For those of us with normal, healthy wiring in the brain, being told we are behaving in those ways, i.e. being called names, is likely to bring about an improvement in behaviour, we are being threatened with group sanctions.

Depends on who's doing it. Anyone with healthy wiring will pay no attention to some isolated, closed-off gink whose sole pleasure in life seems to be finger-wagging about other people's supposed naughtiness (or, gasp! cuntishness!)

zoon wrote:By contrast, for people with Down's Syndrome, Asperger's etc., no amount of calling names will bring about a change in behaviour, these people have the misfortune to be incapable of the types of highly complex self-control needed to behave otherwise.

One almost wishes there was a Ninth Circle of Hell and a reserved place therein for those few benighted souls whose hobby is standing on a soapbox and pointing out the obvious. Calling those people cunts doesn't really help anyone but their victims.

There are some people who used to think they had God on their side when they wagged that finger. They drop that and they're like recovering alcoholics, some of them, trying desperately to stay on the wagon.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Linguistics