thou and thee

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

thou and thee

#1  Postby nunnington » Dec 23, 2011 11:07 am

I grew up in a part of Yorkshire (East Riding) where 'thou' and 'thee' were commonly used. I am talking about the 50s and 60s. Thus, my grandfather would say, 'wesh thi mucky face', (wash your mucky face), 'face' incidentally with a diphthong, as in Geordie, sort of 'fey-ass'. 'Ast tha getten tooith-wark?' (have you got tooth-ache).

I just wondered if thou and thee still survive anywhere, in the UK, or elsewhere? It had a very nice feel to it, sort of intimate.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: thou and thee

#2  Postby mattthomas » Dec 23, 2011 11:10 am

Well, I use them, but from a faux medieval linguistic fetish I have, dost thou approve?
mattthomas

Print view this post

#3  Postby don't get me started » Dec 23, 2011 11:17 am

I can remember my Uncle using 'thou' and 'thee' back in the 1970's in Cumbria.
I thought it was grand!
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#4  Postby nunnington » Dec 23, 2011 11:24 am

mattwilson wrote:Well, I use them, but from a faux medieval linguistic fetish I have, dost thou approve?

Yes, I use them all the time. It's a mixture of irony and affection I suppose. But then today you find people using an incredible mixture of dialects, text-speak, and so on, partly ironically, and I suppose just playfully.
nunnington

Print view this post

#5  Postby nunnington » Dec 23, 2011 11:26 am

don't get me started wrote:I can remember my Uncle using 'thou' and 'thee' back in the 1970's in Cumbria.
I thought it was grand!

Now, in some parts of Yorkshire, that would 'I thowt it were grand'.
nunnington

Print view this post

#6  Postby Just A Theory » Dec 23, 2011 11:26 am

Thou & Thee refer to second person singular and have been largely replaced by a catch-all 'you'. Thee, however, has been replaced by 'youse' in the vernacular, I know of no substitute for 'thou' unfortunately.
"He who begins by loving Christianity more than Truth, will proceed by loving his sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."

Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834
Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby nunnington » Dec 23, 2011 11:31 am

Just A Theory wrote:Thou & Thee refer to second person singular and have been largely replaced by a catch-all 'you'. Thee, however, has been replaced by 'youse' in the vernacular, I know of no substitute for 'thou' unfortunately.

That's brilliant. In scouse (Liverpool dialect) 'youse' is used for the plural I think. Also found in other dialects obviously, e.g. in the US. 'Youse guys'.
nunnington

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Just A Theory » Dec 23, 2011 11:36 am

I can't take credit for the revelation, Steven Pinker alerted me.
"He who begins by loving Christianity more than Truth, will proceed by loving his sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."

Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby mraltair » Dec 23, 2011 11:42 am

In Corby they use 'youse' for plural of 'you' and also as a replacement to 'thee'. Which I would guess they do the same in Scotland too?

I've never heard thou or thee in my short 22 years. Then, I am a midlander and we speak properly. :british:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Just A Theory » Dec 23, 2011 11:48 am

I do know that Chinese (Mandarin) uses the construct "ta de" to signify the second person singular. Thing is that it can also refer to third person singular too.

Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby mattthomas » Dec 23, 2011 11:50 am

mraltair wrote:In Corby they use 'youse' for plural of 'you' and also as a replacement to 'thee'. Which I would guess they do the same in Scotland too?

I've never heard thou or thee in my short 22 years. Then, I am a midlander and we speak properly. :british:

I'm a midlander too, and I can attest to the truth in this statement. We do indeed speak properly. :british:

Except those from:
Dudley
Birmingham
Cannock
Walsall
Wolverhampton
et al
mattthomas

Print view this post

#12  Postby don't get me started » Dec 23, 2011 11:50 am

I was at a conference last year and Michael Swan was giving a talk and mentioned this. He mentioned that English seems to be trying to separate single and plural 'You', simultaneously in different regions of the anglosphere.
'Youse' or variants thereof, north of a line in Britain roughly from the Humber to the Mersey, and 'Y'all' in the American south, with 'You guys' elsewhere in America and Canada. I'm not sure what our antipodean cousins are up to regarding this...bound to be something colorful!!

Another pronominal feature of Cumbrian dialect is 'yersel', 'mesel', etc, appended much more frequently than the reflexive pronouns in other varieties of English.

"Come in and sit yersel down." (Directly parallel to German 'Setzen Sie sich.)
"I don't know, mesel, like."
Last edited by don't get me started on Dec 23, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#13  Postby mraltair » Dec 23, 2011 11:52 am

mattwilson wrote:
mraltair wrote:In Corby they use 'youse' for plural of 'you' and also as a replacement to 'thee'. Which I would guess they do the same in Scotland too?

I'm a midlander too, and I can attest to the truth in this statement. We do indeed speak properly. :british:

Except those from:
Dudley
Birmingham
Cannock
Walsall
Wolverhampton
et al

Indeed sir, you are quite correct.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Just A Theory » Dec 23, 2011 11:53 am

To be fair, 'youse' is similar in construction to 'ya'all' which is common in the American South.

Just A Theory

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby nunnington » Dec 23, 2011 11:57 am

don't get me started wrote:I was at a conference last year and Michael Swan was giving a talk and mentioned this. He mentioned that English seems to be trying to separate single and plural 'You', simultaneously in different regions of the anglosphere.
'Youse' or variants thereof, north of a line in Britain roughly from the Humber to the Mersey, and 'Y'all' in the American south, with 'You guys' elsewhere in America and Canada. I'm not sure what our antipodean cousins are up to regarding this...bound to be something colorful!!

Another pronominal feature of Cumbrian dialect is 'yersel', 'mesel', etc, appended much more frequently than the reflexive pronouns in other varieties of English.

"Come in and sit yersel down." (Directly parallel to German 'Setzer sie sich.)

In some parts of Yorkshire, 'sit yoursen down', but it may have died out. Around Manchester, 'I'm going there, me', is common, a sort of emphatic tag, also found in French, I think.

Interesting about plural you, yes, 'you guys' is catching on in the UK.
nunnington

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Corneel » Dec 23, 2011 12:18 pm

nunnington wrote:Interesting about plural you, yes, 'you guys' is catching on in the UK.

"You guys" is almost identical to how the current second person plural was formed in Dutch. Ghi/ji was originally the second person plural (as was you in English), then became used for both singular and plural, and then the distinction was made by adding "lieden" for the plural, which was later contracted to "jullie". So were just one step ahead of you guys.
The original second person singular "du" (equivalent of thou) is still found in some dialects.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#17  Postby THWOTH » Dec 23, 2011 12:25 pm

I was taught that thees and thous represented the informal and formal second person singular. An equivalent in German is du and zu I believe. Of course, that does not account for 'thy' and 'thine.' :whistle:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Evolving » Dec 23, 2011 12:33 pm

don't get me started wrote:
"Come in and sit yersel down." (Directly parallel to German 'Setzer sie sich.)

"Sit down" is reflexive in all languages that I know apart from English:

siediti (sedetevi, si sieda)
assieds-toi (asseyez-vous)
setz dich (setzt euch, Setzen Sie sich)
Last edited by Evolving on Dec 23, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#19  Postby katja z » Dec 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Corneel wrote:
nunnington wrote:Interesting about plural you, yes, 'you guys' is catching on in the UK.

"You guys" is almost identical to how the current second person plural was formed in Dutch.

Something similar happened in Spanish and Catalan with "vosotros"/"vosaltres" and "nosotros"/"nosaltres" (literally "you others" and "we others", respectively), although the reason there is less clear, as these languages have kept the singular/plural distinction.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby kiore » Dec 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Youse is used :mrgreen: in New Zealand as well.
I grew up being taught the 'thee' pronunciation of 'the' although at home we used 'thugh' caused all sorts of confusion when reading aloud the KJV or Shakespeare..
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Next

Return to Linguistics