What's with those trendy words and empty fillers?

Discuss various aspects of natural language.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: What's with those trendy words and empty fillers?

#61  Postby Alan B » Nov 12, 2016 5:12 pm

In my 'teens I worked as a lab assistant with some other lads. Often one of the old lab workers (he must have been at least over 30 :whistle: ) used to engage us in conversation and his favourite expression was: "I mean ter say...". So, one day me and another lad decided to count how many times he said this phrase, We counted 17 times in about 2 or 3 minutes. We told him. He never spoke to us after that. I wonder why? :scratch:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 12, 2016 6:19 pm

There is one phrase that Moroccans when they learn Dutch use so often it is quite irritating but apparently in their own version of Arabic is very acceptable. Culture differences?

The phrase is btw "you know" and in Dutch "weet je" which is pronounced 'veet je'. The 'w 'is a hard 'v'.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#63  Postby tuco » Nov 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Well, Dutch sounds like pig's snore so .. I dunno what your point is.
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Linguistics