Catenary Problem

All help appreciated!

Discuss the language of the universe.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Catenary Problem

#1  Postby Calilasseia » May 05, 2017 2:20 pm

I've been trying to solve a little problem involving catenary curves, and it's driving me nuts.

According to the standard derivation of the catenary curve, formed when a uniform heavy chain is supported above ground, the chain forms a curve of the form:

y = c cosh(x/c)

where c is a constant equal to T0/σg - here, T0 is the value of the tension in the chain at the bottom (where the tangent angle θ is zero), σ is the mass per unit length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

I've been considering a problem, illustrated by this image:

Catenary Problem Image.jpg
Catenary Problem Image.jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

Here, a heavy chain of constant mass per unit length, is suspended from two supports, both of height h, each support being a distance d from the y-axis. I'm interested in knowing what happens when L, the length of the chain, is increased, whilst h and d are kept constant.

Now in the original derivation of the catenary curve, the coordinate system used assumes that at x=0, y=c. In the above setup, this no longer holds, and instead, the curve is more properly considered to be:

y = k cosh(x/k) + Q

where Q is a vertical scaling constant that moves the curve so that when x=0, y=c, regardless of the value of k (k now being the value that is genuinely equal to T0/σg). Since cosh(0) = 1, we have:

c = k + Q, therefore Q = c - k [1]

Therefore our actual equation for the curve in the above setup is:

y = k cosh(x/k) + c - k [2]

We also take note of the fact that the arc length of the curve is given by:

s = k sinh(x,k) [3]

and we therefore have the following results:

L/2 = k sinh(d/k) [4]

h = k cosh(d/k) + c - k [5]

I am interested to find out what happens when L is increased, while keeping d and h constant, until the point where the curve touches the ground (this limiting value of L I shall refer to as Lmax).

Now, from an elementary geometrical standpoint, in a Euclidean space, any curved arc connecting two points has an arc length that is longer than the straight ling segment connecting those two points. Therefore, in the limiting case for Lmax, we expect ½Lmax to be greater than the length of the line joining (0,0) to (d,h), which, of course, is given by the elementary Pythagoras relation as (d2+h2)½. Therefore (d2+h2)½ constitutes a lower bound on ½Lmax. Let's refer to this lower bound condition as Lemma 1.

So, I now try to find a relationship between L and c, so that I can determine what happens to L as c vanishes in the limit - as L increases, so c diminishes. This is where matters become annoying in the extreme.

We now take advantage of the hyperbolic identity:

cosh2z - sinh2z = 1 [6]

Reworking [5] to give:

(h - c + k) = k cosh(d/k) [7]

we now take [6] and [7] together, and derive:

(h - c + k)2 - (L/2)2 = k2 [8]

Expanding the term (h + c - k)2, we have:

(h + c - k)2 = h2 + 2ch - 2hk +c2 - 2ck + k2 [9]

Substituting [9] into [8], eliminating terms and rearranging gives:

h2 + (2h - c)(k - c) - ck = (L/2)2 [10]

Letting c->0 in the limit gives us that Lmax/2 = h, which is in clear violation of Lemma 1, and therefore untenable as a result.

So just what have I missed above, in order to arrive at this contradictory result?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Catenary Problem

#2  Postby newolder » May 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Letting c->0 in equation [10] yields:
h2 + 2hk = (Lmax/2)2
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » May 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Bloody obvious now I see it! Thanks!

EDIT: what you're seeing above is what happens when I try doing mathematics at 2am while drifting off to sleep in bed :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » May 05, 2017 6:22 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm wide awake and I thought you had a Fringillidae issue.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » May 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Happy to be of help. My own brain fades are more frequent than just before bedtimes and can last for extended periods these days. Heigh ho.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Macdoc » May 05, 2017 8:57 pm

hmmmmph....almost glad I didn't go for astrophysics...

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Mathematics