Riemann Hypothesis

Michael Atiyah has a go...

Discuss the language of the universe.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Riemann Hypothesis

#1  Postby newolder » Sep 24, 2018 11:59 am

Rumours that Prof. Atiyah has a proof. The paper is available here and probably elsewhere.

A cautionary note from Lubos Motl here.
Nice try but I am now 99% confident that Atiyah's proof of RH is wrong, hopeless...

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Title edited for spelling. kiore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Reimann Hypothesis

#2  Postby Thommo » Sep 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Have to admit I can't follow the paper in enough detail.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Sep 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Join the club. There must be someone around here to help, I'll just wait... Motl seems to claim the proof is intelligible to an undergrad. maths bod. Any volunteers?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby i have no avatar » Sep 25, 2018 4:23 am

Well, I'm certainly no mathematician, especially not a number theorist, but here is what a respected member of a math forum that I am somewhat active on has to say about it:

There is a preprint of his paper out now and he gave his lecture a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, as many people feared, he does not have a proof. Its even worse in fact. The paper and his talk are evidence that he has lost quite a bit of mental faculty.

Most of the paper discusses "weakly analytic functions" which he defines in a way that seems meaningless. His definition automatically implies analyticity. It was also pointed out by someone else that his "proof" does not use any properties of ζ which means he seems to have proved that every analytic function has zeros only on the critical line.

Its quite sad that somebody allowed this event to happen. One hopes it does not tarnish his legacy.

source

Note: Sir Michael Atiyah is 89 years old. (Phhhst, the can of worms has been opened).
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am

Further bad news for these efforts, I fear...

Sean Carroll’s take on the “Fine structure constant” paper* where he notes that the constant, α, is actually a function. It’s a function of momentum and only becomes a constant in the limit, momentum -> 0.

Since Atiyah isn’t even trying to derive a function for α, the remainder of the paper is thus some irrelevant numerology.

Sigh.

* http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blo ... -constant/
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby i have no avatar » Jan 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Unfortunately, Dr. Atiyah has passed away.

NY Times article
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Mathematics