The Reason For The Proscription Against Division By Zero

This IS a TEST; Do you know the ACTUAL reason division by zero is not permitted?

Discuss the language of the universe.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Reason For The Proscription Against Division By Zero

#181  Postby The_Piper » Nov 10, 2018 2:58 pm

BlackBart wrote:Dividing a number by zero is the same as not dividing it by anything therefore...

A/0 = A

A/1 also equals A

Therefore 1 is equal to 0

Take that atheists!!

It's as simple as the bolded part. What follows the bolded blew my mind. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#182  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 3:02 pm

The_Piper wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Dividing a number by zero is the same as not dividing it by anything therefore...

A/0 = A

A/1 also equals A

Take that atheists!!

That's too bad, as what's in red can't be performed.

Now you need a new mind and you threw it all away on a big fat error.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#183  Postby laklak » Nov 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Isn't it a proof by contradiction? Assume you can divide by zero, which leads to the contradiction 1 = 0.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#184  Postby scott1328 » Nov 10, 2018 3:29 pm

scherado wrote:This post left intentionally blank.

[I first encountered this technique of identifying an empty page when I worked for IBM. I thought it was silly until I learned that the publications departments were required to write their manuals using no higher than grade-8 reading level.]
Significantly altering a post is a violation of forum rules, especially if it has received replies. I have asked a moderator to restore the original comment.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#185  Postby The_Piper » Nov 10, 2018 4:16 pm

scherado wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

A/0 = A

A/1 also equals A

Take that atheists!!

This basket has 6 apples. I would like to divide them between Jimmy and Johnny. So I divide 6 by two people. Jimmy and Johnny each get 3 apples.
This basket has 11 apples. I would like to divide the apples between no one. 11 apples divided by no people equals 11 apples.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#186  Postby newolder » Nov 10, 2018 4:20 pm

If it left, where did it go? :ask:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#187  Postby scott1328 » Nov 10, 2018 4:47 pm

The_Piper wrote:
scherado wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

A/0 = A

A/1 also equals A

Take that atheists!!

This basket has 6 apples. I would like to divide them between Jimmy and Johnny. So I divide 6 by two people. Jimmy and Johnny each get 3 apples.
This basket has 11 apples. I would like to divide the apples between no one. 11 apples divided by no people equals 11 apples.

And to how many people can you give no apples? 0? 6? 7,000,000,000? In fact every day I give more than 7,000,000,000 people no apples.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#188  Postby kiore » Nov 10, 2018 4:50 pm

scott1328 wrote:

[I first encountered this technique of identifying an empty page when I worked for IBM. I thought it was silly until I learned that the publications departments were required to write their manuals using no higher than grade-8 reading level.]
Significantly altering a post is a violation of forum rules, especially if it has received replies. I have asked a moderator to restore the original comment.

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
The content of the edited post was submitted again in the next post. Schredo please do not alter your posts significantly once submitted like this as at the least this is disruptive to replies in this discussion. Your edit introduced different content and this is disruptive to discussion. You are advised not to do this.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#189  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Fallible wrote:

Not sure why. The post you did submit starts off with the same comment you made previously before you deleted it.

Do you think it's related to not being able to delete a post? What I did was combine two posts into one instead of having two, but, as you can see, two remain because I can't delete a post.

Capeesh?
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#190  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Schredo? That's not even close.

I never should have bothered to consolidate the two posts, reminding us all that "no good deed goes unpunished."

THE EXACT CONTENT WAS MOVED INTO THE POST THAT FOLLOWED IT.
Last edited by scherado on Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#191  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 10:26 pm

scott1328 wrote:

What's the original comment? Has the moderator restored the original comment?

The original comment was in the post in question less than 5 minutes. I doubt that anyone responded. I will now make that determination.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#192  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Here is the content that WAS in the post that now contains "left intentionally blank" and that was consolidated into the post that follows it. (I am having trouble determining what is "disruptive" about this.)

Evolving wrote:What a jocular thread this has become.

Ain't infinity wonderful?!?!?! And let's give some credit to Zero for being a big fat nothing.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#193  Postby scott1328 » Nov 10, 2018 10:47 pm

scherado wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

The original comment was in the post in question less than 5 minutes. I doubt that anyone responded. I will now make that determination.

That just proves you don’t pay attention to what people you are interacting with have to say. You are merely here trolling, just as you do on the science forum you also troll.

I responded to your comment and you STILL can’t find it?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#194  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 11:02 pm

The_Piper wrote:...

I appreciate that. I thank you for the attempt to explain.

When you decided that you would like to "divide the apples between no one," you decided to do NOTHING. No operation is performed. There is a great difference between the classroom and real world. This: "11 apples divided by no people equals 11 apples" never occurred.

Would you fill out a withdrawal slip to get money out of your bank account and put 0 as the amount to be withdrawn? The teller would hand the slip back to you--no operation (withdrawal) is performed.

Do you know what I'm going to have to do now? I'm going to have to start a thread to "deconstruct" the old, reliable "2 + 2" violation accusation. Oh yes. If you think I've contributed nothing now, wait until you see that thread!
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#195  Postby newolder » Nov 10, 2018 11:07 pm

scherado wrote:

When you decided that you would like to "divide the apples between no one," you decided to do NOTHING. No operation is performed. There is a great difference between the classroom and real world. This: "11 apples divided by no people equals 11 apples" never occurred.

Would you fill out a withdrawal slip to get money out of your bank account and put 0 as the amount to be withdrawn? The teller would hand the slip back to you--no operation (withdrawal) is performed.

Do you know what I'm going to have to do now? I'm going to have to start a thread to "deconstruct" the old, reliable "2 + 2" violation accusation. Oh yes. If you think I've contributed nothing now, wait until you see that thread!

When you get to the Exceptional Lie group E8, let me know...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#196  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 11:15 pm

scott1328 wrote:
scherado wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

That just proves you don’t pay attention to what people you are interacting with have to say. You are merely here trolling, just as you do on the science forum you also troll.

The science forum? I do not write in another forum.

I just spent 7 days in county jail and got out yesterday (Friday). I'm doing the best I can. Further, I'm HOMELESS (since March '18) and unemployed and it's nearly bleeping WINTER here. As a matter of fact, we had snow squalls all day today. I post from my laptop at a coffee shop or the public library.

I know that you could not have known this. I am not trolling this forum. I respond when I am able.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#197  Postby scherado » Nov 10, 2018 11:17 pm

newolder wrote:
scherado wrote:

When you get to the Exceptional Lie group E8, let me know...

"If there is a hell, I'll see you there." -Trent Reznor, The Downward Spiral, Heresy.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#198  Postby scott1328 » Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm

scherado wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
scherado wrote:
scott1328 wrote:Significantly altering a post is a violation of forum rules, especially if it has received replies. I have asked a moderator to restore the original comment.

The science forum? I do not write in another forum.

I just spent 7 days in county jail and got out yesterday (Friday). I'm doing the best I can. Further, I'm HOMELESS (since March '18) and unemployed and it's nearly bleeping WINTER here. As a matter of fact, we had snow squalls all day today. I post from my laptop at a coffee shop or the public library.

I know that you could not have known this. I am not trolling this forum. I respond when I am able.

https://www.scienceforums.net/profile/132808-scherado/

You haven’t been there for a year, how fortunate for us that you started posting here.

Tell me, how does one with three whole semesters of college calculus wind up homeless and recently jailed?

My sympathies for what sounds like desperate situation, but your behavior on this forum certainly squelches most of my empathy.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#199  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Calculus credits hardly keep you out of prison.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#200  Postby OlivierK » Nov 11, 2018 12:04 am

scherado wrote:Would you fill out a withdrawal slip to get money out of your bank account and put 0 as the amount to be withdrawn? The teller would hand the slip back to you--no operation (withdrawal) is performed.

Great. After all this time not providing a correct reason for proscription against division by zero, you've moved on to making arguments for a prescription against subtraction of zero. I must admit I'm learning things my pure mathematics degree never taught me.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Mathematics