2019-nCoV or COVID-19

Serious discussion of the novel Corona Virus outbreak.

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 2019-nCoV or COVID-19

#761  Postby Mike_L » Jul 13, 2020 8:22 am

chango369 wrote:This was tough reading for sure.

In seven patients (four female), regardless of anticoagulation status, all autopsies demonstrated platelet-rich thrombi in the pulmonary, hepatic, renal, and cardiac microvasculature. Megakaryocytes were seen in higher than usual numbers in the lungs and heart. Two cases had thrombi in the large pulmonary arteries, where casts conformed to the anatomic location. Thrombi in the IVC were not found, but the deep leg veins were not dissected.

Lancet: Megakaryocytes and platelet-fibrin thrombi characterize multi-organ thrombosis at autopsy in COVID-19: A case series

Another paper that discusses COVID-19's coagulopathy and identifies the following key points:

1. SARS-CoV-2 induces robust gene expression and functional changes in platelets.

2. Platelet hyperreactivity may contribute to COVID-19 pathophysiology through increased
platelet-platelet and platelet-leukocyte interactions

Available through link to PDf: Platelet Gene Expression and Function in COVID-19 Patients

Troubling for sure, but a good article. :thumbup:
Another one saying much the same thing...
ScienceDaily:
30 June 2020
COVID-19 causes 'hyperactivity' in blood-clotting cells

Could good-old acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin), long used as an anti-inflammatory and a coagulation inhibitor, have a role in treatment of Covid-19?
From the ScienceDaily article (link above):
(My bold)
Surprisingly, Campbell and his colleagues didn't detect evidence of the virus in the vast majority of platelets, suggesting that it could be promoting the genetic changes within these cells indirectly.

One possible mechanism is inflammation, according to Bhanu Kanth Manne, Ph.D., one of the study's lead authors and a research associate with the University of Utah Molecular Medicine Program (U2M2). In theory, inflammation caused by COVID-19 could affect megakaryocytes, the cells that produce platelets. As a result, critical genetic alterations are passed down from megakaryocytes to the platelets, which, in turn, make them hyperactive.

In test tube studies, the researchers found that pre-treating platelets from SARS-CoV-2 infected patients with aspirin did prevent this hyperactivity. These findings suggest aspirin may improve outcomes; however, this will need further study in clinical trials. For now, Campbell warns against using aspirin to treat COVID-19 unless recommended by your physician.

In the meantime, the researchers are beginning to look for other possible treatments.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#762  Postby Seabass » Jul 14, 2020 9:06 pm

:ill:

We aerosolized severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 and determined that its dynamic aerosol efficiency surpassed those of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus and Middle East respiratory syndrome. Although we performed experiment only once across several laboratories, our findings suggest retained infectivity and virion integrity for up to 16 hours in respirable-sized aerosols.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/9/20-1806_article

One asymptomatic carrier rode an elevator alone, then 71 people got Covid-19.

She did everything right. She had no symptoms, but she self-quarantined anyway after travel. She stayed in her apartment. She ordered-in food. But she became patient zero in a 71-case cluster.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12347495
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#763  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 14, 2020 11:27 pm

:this:

Not good.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#764  Postby chango369 » Jul 15, 2020 9:20 am

The lowdown: Immunity to covid-19 may be short-lived, according to a new longitudinal study of people who have caught the disease and recovered.

The study: Researchers at King’s College London repeatedly tested 96 patients and health-care workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust for antibodies between March and June. All the participants were confirmed to have had covid-19, either via a PCR test or a positive antibody test. The researchers found that levels of virus-fighting antibodies peaked about three weeks after symptoms started and then rapidly fell away. Although 60% of participants produced a “potent” antibody response while they had covid-19, only 17% had the same level of potency at the end of the three-month testing period. Antibody levels were higher and longer-lasting in people who had had more severe cases of covid-19. For some milder cases, it was impossible to detect any antibodies at all at the end of the three months. The research is published in a preprint paper in medRxiv, which means the findings have yet to be subjected to peer review.

Immunity to covid-19 could disappear in months, a new study suggests
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#765  Postby minininja » Jul 15, 2020 9:28 am

theropod_V_2.0 wrote::this:

Not good.

RS

Yeah that's going to be a massive problem for the UK as we move towards winter. So many homes and offices here have no real ventilation other than opening windows, designed to stay warm by keeping the air in. I wonder how much of the reduction of spread we've seen so far has been because of the hot weather, people keeping windows open, and how rapidly that could change when it gets cold. If I catch this thing it's almost certainly going to be from one of my housemates.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#766  Postby Svartalf » Jul 15, 2020 9:58 am

chango369 wrote:
The lowdown: Immunity to covid-19 may be short-lived, according to a new longitudinal study of people who have caught the disease and recovered.

The study: Researchers at King’s College London repeatedly tested 96 patients and health-care workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust for antibodies between March and June. All the participants were confirmed to have had covid-19, either via a PCR test or a positive antibody test. The researchers found that levels of virus-fighting antibodies peaked about three weeks after symptoms started and then rapidly fell away. Although 60% of participants produced a “potent” antibody response while they had covid-19, only 17% had the same level of potency at the end of the three-month testing period. Antibody levels were higher and longer-lasting in people who had had more severe cases of covid-19. For some milder cases, it was impossible to detect any antibodies at all at the end of the three months. The research is published in a preprint paper in medRxiv, which means the findings have yet to be subjected to peer review.

Immunity to covid-19 could disappear in months, a new study suggests

Not surprised at all, the best know manifestation of covid infestation (the virid family, not 19) is part of the cold spectrum... and we all know that you can't make a working vaccine for that, or the laboratories would be making more gold with people wanting to avoid the inconvenience.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#767  Postby NineBerry » Jul 15, 2020 11:51 am

You could make vaccines for the Coronaviruses that cause some of the common cold. We just don't do it because no one would be willing to pay for that.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#768  Postby Mike_L » Jul 16, 2020 9:04 am

An ancient drug shows promise against severe Covid-19

There's new evidence that a 2 000-year-old medicine might offer hope against a modern scourge: Covid-19.
The medication, called colchicine, is an anti-inflammatory taken as a pill. It's long been prescribed for gout, a form of arthritis, and its history goes back centuries. The drug was first sourced from the autumn crocus flower.

Doctors also sometimes use colchicine to treat pericarditis, where the sac around the heart becomes inflamed.

Now, a team of Greek researchers reporting in JAMA Network Open said their small trial suggests colchicine may indeed help curb severe Covid-19.

Significant clinical benefit

The trial involved 105 Greek patients hospitalised in April with Covid-19. Besides receiving standard antibiotics and antivirals (but not remdesivir), half of the participants got daily doses of colchicine for up to three weeks, while the other half did not.

The results "suggest a significant clinical benefit from colchicine in patients hospitalised with Covid-19," according to the team led by Dr Spyridon Deftereos, a cardiologist at Attikon Hospital in Attiki, Greece.

Specifically, while the condition of seven of 50 patients who didn't get colchicine "clinically deteriorated" to a severe stage (for example, requiring mechanical ventilation to survive), this was true for just one of the 55 patients who did receive colchicine, the researchers said.

Writing in a journal editorial, a group of US physicians agreed that the study has limits, but applauded the Greek team for "showing us that an old drug may still have new life".

...its effects on certain blood markers of heart function – as observed in the new study – suggest that colchicine has anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting effects that could help limit the cardiovascular damage wreaked by Covid-19.

Full article at:
https://www.health24.com/medical/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/an-ancient-drug-shows-promise-against-severe-covid-19-20200706-5
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#769  Postby Svartalf » Jul 16, 2020 2:44 pm

Mike_L wrote:
An ancient drug shows promise against severe Covid-19

There's new evidence that a 2 000-year-old medicine might offer hope against a modern scourge: Covid-19.
The medication, called colchicine, is an anti-inflammatory taken as a pill. It's long been prescribed for gout, a form of arthritis, and its history goes back centuries. The drug was first sourced from the autumn crocus flower.

Doctors also sometimes use colchicine to treat pericarditis, where the sac around the heart becomes inflamed.

Now, a team of Greek researchers reporting in JAMA Network Open said their small trial suggests colchicine may indeed help curb severe Covid-19.

Significant clinical benefit

The trial involved 105 Greek patients hospitalised in April with Covid-19. Besides receiving standard antibiotics and antivirals (but not remdesivir), half of the participants got daily doses of colchicine for up to three weeks, while the other half did not.

The results "suggest a significant clinical benefit from colchicine in patients hospitalised with Covid-19," according to the team led by Dr Spyridon Deftereos, a cardiologist at Attikon Hospital in Attiki, Greece.

Specifically, while the condition of seven of 50 patients who didn't get colchicine "clinically deteriorated" to a severe stage (for example, requiring mechanical ventilation to survive), this was true for just one of the 55 patients who did receive colchicine, the researchers said.

Writing in a journal editorial, a group of US physicians agreed that the study has limits, but applauded the Greek team for "showing us that an old drug may still have new life".

...its effects on certain blood markers of heart function – as observed in the new study – suggest that colchicine has anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting effects that could help limit the cardiovascular damage wreaked by Covid-19.

Full article at:
https://www.health24.com/medical/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/an-ancient-drug-shows-promise-against-severe-covid-19-20200706-5

I don't know how really effective this is against covid or other virals, but it has great potential to be a cure for just every ailment there is.

Colchicine is a very potent cardiac stimulant, and can be lethal at relatively small doses.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#770  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 16, 2020 11:51 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
DIscussion on elemental zinc moved to here: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/medic ... 56729.html

The_Metatron
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#771  Postby Alan B » Jul 17, 2020 2:55 pm

Has there been any research or correlation between the effects of Covid-19 and those who have had a regular 'flu jab and a pneumonia jab (which in the UK is a once only and permanent injection)?

Is there a possibility that having one or both could affect the death rate or severity of the illness?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#772  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 17, 2020 10:57 pm

I’ve had both shots (recently), but not looking forward to a winter with flu, pneumonia AND covid-19. My wife works at a hospital. My cardio rehab graduation dux is 6 weeks away. Hopefully I can get to fall clean. I’ll stay home, and build an air lock for the better half.

:think:

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#773  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 29, 2020 11:56 pm

Our government corona crisis advisory team has reasserted today that there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that masks are effective and should be mandatory.

*Edit. They repeated this claim, despite the fact that, based on their earlier advice, the government made wearing a mask mandatory when using public transportation.

:banghead:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#774  Postby Mike_L » Jul 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Most survivors of severe Covid-19 report symptoms many weeks after 'recovery', study shows

Even a month after hospital discharge and "recovery", a majority of patients who had survived severe Covid-19 were still dealing with fatigue, shortness of breath and other symptoms, Italian research shows.

The study tracked outcomes for 143 hospitalised patients treated in April in Rome, at the height of the Italian Covid-19 pandemic.

They'd spent an average of about two weeks under hospital care, and one-fifth had required some form of respiratory support, said a team led by Dr Angelo Carfi, of the Policlinic Foundation University Agostino Gemelli, in Rome.

Assessed an average of five weeks after discharge, few of these survivors could say that their lives and health had returned to normal. In fact, "87.4% reported persistence of at least one symptom", most typically fatigue (53% of patients) or a troubling shortness of breath (43%).

Other lingering symptoms included joint pain (about 27% of patients) and chest pain (nearly 22%), Carfi's group reported on 9 July in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Only about 13% of all of the recovering patients said they were free of symptoms at 36 days after discharge: About one-third said they had one or two symptoms and more than half (55%) said they suffered three or more.

"The harsh reality is that many patients continue to experience lingering symptoms for weeks and months after being diagnosed with and 'recovering' from Covid-19," Glatter said.
Why that happens remains unclear, he said, but "one theory is that Covid-19 leads to a state of chronic inflammation", as can happen with viral infections such as Epstein-Barr.

Full article at:
https://www.health24.com/medical/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/most-survivors-of-severe-covid-19-report-symptoms-many-weeks-after-recovery-study-shows-20200720-6?_sp=c70525a0-9f2a-4697-bbbf-63a285a4c5fe.1596134711284
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#775  Postby Alan B » Aug 02, 2020 11:19 am

Just read this in this weeks New Scientist
Does your blood type influence how susceptible you are to covid-19?

You may have heard that your blood type can protect you against covid-19, or make you more vulnerable. The science suggests that it can do both, a bit, but researchers say that it is too soon to make decisions about personal risk based on your blood group.
The idea that blood type might influence susceptibility to infection by the coronavirus that causes covid-19 began circulating in March after a team led by Jiao Zhao at The Southern University of Science and Technology in China posted some preliminary results online.
Their starting point was the fact that susceptibility to the virus behind SARS is influenced by blood group, with type O somewhat protective against catching the virus. Other viruses are also blood-group dependent; people with type A blood have been found to be more susceptible to hepatitis B and HIV.
The Chinese team blood-typed 2173 people in hospital with covid-19 and compared them with the general population. This revealed that among people in hospital there were more in blood group A and fewer in blood group O than the general population, which suggests type A was associated with a higher risk of infection and type O with a lower risk.
A few weeks later, Michael Zietz and Nicholas Tatonetti at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in New York found a similar pattern, but only among patients whose blood type was rhesus positive

It's early days, yet, but it could be interesting if shown to be true.
I'm Blood Group 'O' and Rh +ve. :dance: (Maybe!).
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#776  Postby Alan B » Aug 02, 2020 11:20 am

Double post. (There's something wrong with the 'Submit' function. I click once - nothing happens. Click again - two posts submitted. :scratch: )
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#777  Postby Fallible » Aug 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Yes, other people have been having the same issue for a while now.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#778  Postby The_Piper » Aug 02, 2020 2:54 pm

The Red Sox' 2nd best pitcher is out for the season with ongoing heart inflammation, presumably from Covid-19 which he had tested positive for recently. Not exactly a fragile elder, he's a 27 year old professional athlete in the prime of his career.
I don't think the baseball season can be completed even as it is without fans. Just in the first week, one team had 18 positives and another at least 8. They're crazy to even try and continue, imo.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/redsox/2020/08/01/eduardo-rodriguez-shut-down-season-myocarditis-covid-19-recovery/5564760002/
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#779  Postby Seabass » Aug 09, 2020 9:43 pm

Low-cost measurement of facemask efficacy for filtering expelled droplets during speech
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#780  Postby Animavore » Aug 10, 2020 11:02 am

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... pXDld5aAqw

Ireland cases spiking and now, according to the above report, set to rival the UK if allowed continue.

Interestingly a lot of comments on the Facebook post of this article are blaming the government allowing, especially American, tourists in. Though I've been critical of this myself, I think it's a rather reductive view.

When lockdown was relaxed a little lots of people seemed to be acting like lockdown was over. People have been flocking to pubs and events and the shops. I even went to the re-opened gym last week, which you have to book slots into now, to find there were allowing way more people in there than I was comfortable with. Also one of the main hotspots of this latest spike is a meat processing plant which mainly employs (I'm guessing under-payed/exploited) foreign nationals who, it's now coming to light, had social distancing concerns dismissed and told to work or leave.

spelling edit
Last edited by Animavore on Aug 10, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Medicine