Baby born with tail

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Baby born with tail

#1  Postby DoctorE » Mar 08, 2010 12:59 pm

I want a tail on the back also... :naughty2:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3705821.html

Surgeons in China have operated to remove a five inch tail from a four-month-old baby girl.
The little girl, called Hong Hong, was born with the tail but it had since doubled in size, reports the Anhui Market Daily.

Her father, Hou, of Lixing town in eastern China's Anhui province, said he had been "shocked" to see the tail at birth.

"I wanted to cut it off when she was born, but doctors suggested we wait some time, as a newborn is too weak to take such a surgery," he said.

He checked the tail each day, hoping it would get smaller but instead it just "grew bigger and bigger", he added.

Doctors at the Anhui Provincial Children's Hospital said they too had been surprised by the case.

"It's very rare, about one in a million. We have never seen anything like this before," said Dr Sun Jun.

X-rays had shown that the tail was connected to a fatty tumor within the spinal column.

Dr Sun said the surgery had been successful, but it was still too early to say whether further treatment would be necessary.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Baby born with tail

#2  Postby Broiled Jogger » Mar 09, 2010 4:14 am

In the distant past I've read that more people are born with tails than is commonly thought. They're removed soon after birth and most people who were born with tails don't even know it.
Broiled Jogger

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby GreatApe » Mar 09, 2010 4:41 am

Between the cases of babies born with tails and babies that are born hermaphroditic, it's no wonder religious people are so damn confused! After all, those cases are rarely publicized and the surgeries to "repair the problem" is typically completed at such a young age that it soon becomes a "non-issue" and is forgotten. Parents born with hermaphroditic children are quick to decide the child's "true sex" and, again, you rarely hear stories of parents openly discussing the issue (although there are some pretty interesting documentaries out there).

It seems to me that this allows religious people to gloss over, forget, or even deny the existence of these births as found in Nature. As if that is all not strange enough, some religions decided they needed a special ceremony to perform to remove things that their God apparently screwed up when he created us all in the first place!

I can live without a tail, but I want my foreskin back -- DAMMIT! LOL ... --G
---------------------------------
"Quiero Saber" : Gipsy Kings
GreatApe

Name: GreatApe
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby econ41 » Mar 09, 2010 6:31 am

It looks like this is not a tail, rather an outgrowth of a tumour which is shaped and located somewhat like a tail.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby theye1 » Mar 09, 2010 10:02 am

econ41 wrote:It looks like this is not a tail, rather an outgrowth of a tumour which is shaped and located somewhat like a tail.

That makes it even more disturbing.
“An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.”
― Charles Darwin
theye1

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Propagangster » Mar 09, 2010 11:35 pm

It's quite a rare occurance, but a certain number of babies are born with tails. We still have the genes required to form one, it's just that they are dormant or inactive in the vast majority of human beings. In the early stages of development, an embryo will begin to grow a tail; it is noticeable at around 4 weeks after conception; though it usually disappears another three to four weeks later. In some rare cases like this one, the tail remains.

This is only evidence that, earlier in our evolutionary line, our ancestors had tails (and that in some random individuals, the genes required are sufficiently activated for them to be born with one). Looking at an embryo's development actually provides a fountain of information in regards to our evolution, as does looking into the dormant genes found in the human body.
Propagangster

Name: François
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby econ41 » Mar 10, 2010 12:50 am

Propagangster wrote:It's quite a rare occurance, but a certain number of babies are born with tails. We still have the genes required to form one, it's just that they are dormant or inactive in the vast majority of human beings. In the early stages of development, an embryo will begin to grow a tail; it is noticeable at around 4 weeks after conception; though it usually disappears another three to four weeks later. In some rare cases like this one, the tail remains.

This is only evidence that, earlier in our evolutionary line, our ancestors had tails (and that in some random individuals, the genes required are sufficiently activated for them to be born with one). Looking at an embryo's development actually provides a fountain of information in regards to our evolution, as does looking into the dormant genes found in the human body.

Genetic history and embryology aside this one is reported to be a tumour, not a genuine tail. The gross morphology appears to support that from the published photo.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby james1v » Mar 10, 2010 12:53 am

Hope the baby is ok. :(
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby week15 » Mar 10, 2010 1:02 am

Tumor or not in this case, what would the implications of having a fully formed tail be? I'm not talking social issues. Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to the feature?
week15

Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 10, 2010 3:29 am

week15 wrote:Tumor or not in this case, what would the implications of having a fully formed tail be? I'm not talking social issues. Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to the feature?

In modern human society? No advantag - we don't need an extra appendage for balance.

It's more like to be disadvantage in terms of finding a mate as many peoples around the world still think deformities are supernatural in origin.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby xsmooth_criminalx » Mar 10, 2010 3:31 am

Aaah, that's downright creepy! D:
You've been HIT by, you've been STRUCK by, a Smooth Criminal~
xsmooth_criminalx

Name: Christelle
Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#12  Postby GenesForLife » Mar 10, 2010 5:40 am

Another Atavatism that'll have the fundies crying :mrgreen:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby econ41 » Mar 10, 2010 6:40 am

james1v wrote:Hope the baby is ok. :(

That is the worry point. The tumour reported to extend from the spinal chord.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby natselrox » Mar 10, 2010 8:07 am

GenesForLife wrote:Another Atavatism that'll have the fundies crying :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#15  Postby ConnyRaSk » Mar 21, 2010 7:48 pm

While a student at university, a friend told me his father, an obstetrician, had just had the 2nd baby in a month that was born with a tail. With my friend we did some research right away to find out how often this happens. In one book on obstetrics we read it was one in 800,000 births. The book recommended that the tail be snipped off, the parents not told. In another book meant for paediatricians, there was the same advice given as was in a manual for midwives!.
In the foto of the OP, i knew right away this was not a proper tail, because it was too far above the buttocks of the child. When humans are born with a tail it is usually 2 to 3 extra small bones or cartilage after the coccyx.

(edit for typo)
Last edited by ConnyRaSk on Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Literature, fiction, poetry, whatever, makes justice in the world. That’s why it almost always has to be on the side of the underdog. ~Grace Paley
ConnyRaSk

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#16  Postby crank » Mar 21, 2010 9:07 pm

week15 wrote:Tumor or not in this case, what would the implications of having a fully formed tail be? I'm not talking social issues. Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to the feature?

My imagination can come up with so many things, some of them are not even obscene.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Varangian » Mar 21, 2010 10:11 pm

GenesForLife wrote:Another Avatarism that'll have the fundies crying :mrgreen:

Corrected. :tongue:

I hope the baby will be OK.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine