Biofeedback: Efficacious or Woo?

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Biofeedback: Efficacious or Woo?

#1  Postby Sityl » Jan 06, 2011 7:50 pm

I've just heard about it from a nurse practitioner at my work who says she also runs a biofeedback clinic. She also mentioned people seeing auras, which makes me assume it's likely to be woo, but I have never heard of it. How does it relate in terms of efficacy to say, modern medicine, chiropracty, and homeopathy?

Thanks.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Biofeedback: Efficacious or Woo?

#2  Postby Weaver » Jan 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Woo.

Probably about as effective as homeopathy (i.e. not), less dangerous than chiropracty, doesn't hold a candle to medicine (otherwise do you really think people would shell out money for blood pressure medicine?)
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 06, 2011 8:00 pm

My uninformed reaction is woo. You never see biofeedback wings in hospitals. I'm thinking there's a reason for that.
Last edited by The_Metatron on Jan 06, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sityl » Jan 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Weaver wrote:Woo.

Probably about as effective as homeopathy (i.e. not), less dangerous than chiropracty, doesn't hold a candle to medicine (otherwise do you really think people would shell out money for blood pressure medicine?)

I generally assumed as much. She seems to be obsessed with sociopaths and whether or not they can be converted (or whether it matters for them), and I actually saw her eye twitching when an innocent comment made her chain-of-thought into a rage about how rampant marijuana and alcohol use is in college kids.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mantisdreamz » Jan 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Just did a quick read on it. It looks like the point of it is for a person to learn to regulate their own body. High blood pressure was brought up -- and that someone can learn to reduce their heart rate, say through relaxation techniques and mental training.

So it said it seems to work well for conditions that can be brought on by stress. Because stress is something that you can regulate. At least that's what I got from it.

It sounds pretty plausible... though, I don't know about that aura bit.
ImageImageImage
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mantisdreamz » Jan 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Sityl wrote:... and I actually saw her eye twitching when an innocent comment made her chain-of-thought into a rage about how rampant marijuana and alcohol use is in college kids.

:lol:

Maybe she's just a woo-ish person.
ImageImageImage
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby LIFE » Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm

There seems to be some weak evidence in favour of its efficacy from what I'm reading right now.
Doesn't look too convincing though.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby ramseyoptom » Jan 06, 2011 8:25 pm

A quick check on NHS Evidence Health Information Resources (ex NHS Library) reveals 47 references to biofeedback treatment. There are some meta-analyses and DARE reviews.

It appears to be useful in headaches, migraine and high blood pressure. Though all the meta-analyses on its use in stroke victims indicate that it has no effect.

The only reference on auras was 'Do some antiepileptic drugs cause auras?', though I suspect that may not be what your nurse practitioner had in mind.

FYI the NHS Library is open to the public.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine