Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

The answer is "yes, probably"

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

#1  Postby trubble76 » Feb 28, 2012 1:41 pm

A few relatively short bursts of intense exercise, amounting to only a few minutes a week, can deliver many of the health and fitness benefits of hours of conventional exercise, according to new research, says Dr Michael Mosley. But how much benefit you get from either may well depend on your genes.

When I first read studies which suggested that I could make significant and measurable changes to my fitness by doing just three minutes of exercise a week, I was incredulous.

But this apparently outrageous claim is supported by many years of research done in a number of different countries including the UK, so I decided to give it a go.

My guide into the world of High Intensity Training (HIT), was Jamie Timmons, professor of ageing biology at Birmingham University.

Jamie assured me that by doing just three minutes of HIT a week for four weeks, I could expect to see significant changes in a number of important health indices.

Continues here.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?

#2  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I would have thought it depended not just on your genetic make-up, but also your diet, and how much incidental exercise you get from the other 10077 minutes in the week.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Pulsar » Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Starts now on BBC2.
Science is a dialogue between the free play of ideas — theorizing — and the harsh constraints of empiricism — experimental data. Theories are a lever, data are a fulcrum, and between them we can move the world. - Sean Carroll
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby 210karman » Feb 28, 2012 9:20 pm

We have a health campaign at work just now and they been advising something similar - 4 minute intensive bursts of exercise (at approx 80% of your recommended maximum heart rate) with a minutes rest. Reasonably fit people should try to repeat this four times in one session. Number of days per week is up to the individual. Anyway, I'm doing this on my spinning bike at home and combining it with normal cycling to work and will see how it goes. For me it's much more about weight control than fitness although I do feel much better generally whilst I'm doing plenty of exercise.

Three minutes a week to keep fit ? I'm pretty sceptical on that. Unfortunately I'll have to try to watch the programme later as the wife is watching (cringe) Big Fat Gypsy Weddings. :yuk:
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
210karman
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Feb 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Does running to the local shop to stock up on fags and beer before it shuts count?

:ask:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Feb 28, 2012 9:32 pm

This is exactly my life. I don't have to do shit. Brilliant!
With regard to heretics two points must be observed (heretic and Church).. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death.

- Aquinas.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Feb 28, 2012 9:37 pm

:lol:

We must be super fit!

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Doubtdispelled » Feb 28, 2012 10:09 pm

campermon wrote:Does running to the local shop to stock up on fags and beer before it shuts count?

Yes, definitely! Oh but wait, don't you have to do that more than once a week? :angel:
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Feb 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
campermon wrote:Does running to the local shop to stock up on fags and beer before it shuts count?

Yes, definitely! Oh but wait, don't you have to do that more than once a week? :angel:

Foiled!

:lol:
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby trubble76 » Mar 01, 2012 11:27 am

I decided to give it a go. 40 seconds of gentle cycling followed by 20 seconds of mental quick-as-you-can cycling, repeated twice. 3 minutes in all.
The first session was yesterday, I felt sick. I mean really sick, it took me an embarrasingly long time to recover but I shall persevere. Hopefully I will survive tomorrow's session.

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 01, 2012 1:18 pm

What is this? I am under the impression you had given up the smokes. Beer, on the other hand? I'd hang on to that.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby trubble76 » Mar 02, 2012 10:24 am

The 2nd session was a bit better. I didn't think my death was imminent this time. Perhaps that means I'm on my way to superfitness? :think:

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby MedGen » Mar 03, 2012 10:38 am

trubble76 wrote:The 2nd session was a bit better. I didn't think my death was imminent this time. Perhaps that means I'm on my way to superfitness? :think:

Or you won the genetic lottery and you're a super-responder, you jammy bugger.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby campermon » Mar 03, 2012 11:37 am

The_Metatron wrote:

What is this? I am under the impression you had given up the smokes. Beer, on the other hand? I'd hang on to that.

I've fell off the wagon a couple of times.... :oops:
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Doubtdispelled » Mar 03, 2012 5:18 pm

campermon wrote:I've fell off the wagon a couple of times....

I've never managed to climb on it except for once, for three weeks, many years ago. I fell off spectacularly when my then hubby was rushed into hospital. Unless, that is, you count the odd day or two when I swear that I'm going to give up, after just one more cigarette....

Tobacco, tobacco I hate you I do
Like Venus I'd look if it wasn't for you
But I'll give up the habit
I will even yet......
When I've had just one more cigarette
Throw the packet away, away
Fifty times in a week I'll say
When I've had just one more cigarette....
Oh nail in my coffin so pale and so thin
I am a fool to keep knocking you in
But I'll give up the habit
I will even yet.......
When I've had just one more cigarette.
Fifty times in a week I'll say
When I've had just one more cigarette....
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 03, 2012 5:29 pm

campermon wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:

I've fell off the wagon a couple of times.... :oops:

Well, you just get right back on that fucker, then!
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby 210karman » Mar 03, 2012 10:13 pm

I gave up smoking in 1996. I have many friends (and not least the missus :heart:) who smoke. I gave up because I felt a bit disturbed by it. If you are a smoker and you don't feel disturbed by it then just carry on. If it ever starts to get to your brain then it could be time to give up. I found that bragging about my ability to give up helped. The yearning for the smokes ended up being less of a fear than the humiliation of failure. (Remember, if you give up and then start again, you threw the uncomfortable times you spent down the drain. :think: )

ps My wife's father is 83, been smoking since he was 14 and is a credit to our species so....it's not the worst thing to do. :cheers:
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
210karman
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Stagman » Mar 04, 2012 1:13 am

I think the emphasis here is on getting and being fit and not so much whether or not you smoke tobacco products.
Put it this way - you can do all the physical exersise you want, but your chances of dieing prematurely are near if not higher than 50% if you also smoke. Three minutes might make you feel better now, but is pretty much negated by that one fag afterward.

I do a fair bit of High Intensity Training, more than 3 minutes each week. It sure helps. As times passes I notice my physical condition and fitness is increasing dramatically.
Stagman

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby AlohaChris » Mar 07, 2012 2:59 am

Tabata workouts have been around for years and can be very effective in producing fitness. :thumbup:

Screen shot 2012-03-06 at 7.55.54 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-03-06 at 7.55.54 PM.png (102.11 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Screen shot 2012-03-06 at 7.56.20 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-03-06 at 7.56.20 PM.png (97.87 KiB) Viewed 881 times
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Lance » Mar 08, 2012 7:29 am

Any exercise is better than no exercise, even three minutes.

But no. It will not make you fit. Lots of researchers have come up with the general conclusion that 20 minutes three times a week is a reasonable minimum.
Lance

Name: Lance Kennedy

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Medicine