Cancer silver bullet ...mebbe

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Cancer silver bullet ...mebbe

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jan 21, 2020 3:43 am

Immune discovery 'may treat all cancer'
By James Gallagher
Health and science correspondent

A newly-discovered part of our immune system could be harnessed to treat all cancers, say scientists.
The Cardiff University team discovered a method of killing prostate, breast, lung and other cancers in lab tests.
The findings, published in Nature Immunology, have not been tested in patients, but the researchers say they have "enormous potential".
Experts said that although the work was still at an early stage, it was very exciting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51182451

snip

The Cardiff team discovered a T-cell and its receptor that could find and kill a wide range of cancerous cells in the lab including lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells.
Crucially, it left normal tissues untouched.
:popcorn:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Cancer silver bullet ...mebbe

#2  Postby Thommo » Jan 21, 2020 3:46 am

Sounds too good to be true. It would be amazing if it was.

Some of the research that's taking place is truly staggering, and indeed the advances that have quietly taken place in cancer treatement in the last couple of decades are a wonderous thing. Let's keep some fingers and toes crossed.
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jan 21, 2020 4:41 am

Yes and I was a beneficiary of one ..my type of cancer went to 60% percent survival after 5 years ( cure ) from 30% thanks to one of those.

The potential for broad type treatment is remarkable and one wonders about proactive prophylactic vaccine.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Jan 21, 2020 5:00 am

I didn't know you'd had cancer, but I'm very glad to hear that you were the beneficiary of some of this type of amazing research.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Jan 21, 2020 5:32 am

Walked into a walkin clinic and fell down the rabbit hole.
Doc didn't like what he felt.
Songram and blood work same day and urologist the next day. He liked even less and surgery the next Tuesday. 6 months of the whole meal deal ( my oncologist has a sense of humour ) chemo, spinal chemo and radiation and no more lymphoma,

He said you might be back to see me for cancer but it won't be this one.

This was the big jump in survival rate

How Rituximab Works:
Rituximab is classified as a monoclonal antibody. Monoclonal antibodies are a relatively new type of "targeted" cancer therapy.

Antibodies are an integral part of the body's immune system. Normally, the body creates antibodies in response to an antigen (such as a protein in a germ) that has entered the body. The antibodies attach to the antigen in order to mark it for destruction by the immune system.

To make anti-cancer monoclonal antibodies in the laboratory, scientists analyze specific antigens on the surface of cancer cells (the targets). Then, using animal and human proteins, they create a specific antibody that will attach to the target antigen on the cancer cells. When given to the patient, these monoclonal antibodies will attach to matching antigens like a key fits a lock.

Since monoclonal antibodies target only specific cells, they may cause less toxicity to healthy cells. Monoclonal antibody therapy is usually given only for cancers in which antigens (and the respective antibodies) have been identified already.

Rituximab works by targeting the CD20 antigen on normal and malignant B-cells. Then the body's natural immune defenses are recruited to attack and kill the marked B-cells. Stem cells (young cells in the bone marrow that will develop into the various types of cells) do not have the CD20 antigen. This allows healthy B-cells to regenerate after treatment.

http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug- ... ximab.aspx

Take away...you feel a bump ...get it checked. ( it's what the doc is looking for when he checks you lymph nodes )

Too bad breast cancer has not seen the progress but maybe the approach above will provide some.

Ontario medical system can perform very well in acute circumstances. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby felltoearth » Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm

I’m not sure they are saying they can actually cure cancer in all individuals. It seems what they are saying is that individualized approaches to treatment of different cancers may be replaced by a single approach. That doesn’t infer that someone with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer will be cured.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Macdoc » Jan 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Certainly don't see that inferred claim anywhere from them or anyone else nor would it be justified. Treating is a long ways from a cure. A variety of cancers responding to a single approach is the breakthrough to be explored.

Not yet in human trials and who knows if the side effects ( speaking from experience ) will be tolerable.

Chemo is a process of poisoning yourself in search of killing cancer cell with a cocktail of drugs including other drugs to offset the poisoning...fun ..not.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby felltoearth » Jan 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Macdoc wrote:Certainly don't see that inferred claim anywhere from them or anyone else nor would it be justified. Treating is a long ways from a cure. A variety of cancers responding to a single approach is the breakthrough to be explored.

That’s pretty much what I wrote.

The inference is in the treatment being a “silver bullet” i.e. it can kill the seemingly unkillable, or that which is impervious to being killed. At least that’s how I understand the phrase.

ETA people often conflate the words “treatable” and “curable.”
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Macdoc » Feb 17, 2020 1:37 am

Harnassing the patients immune system to kill any cancer is the silver bullet and in this case ...after all hope exhausted ...that's exactly what occurred.

07.25.2019 07:00 AM
How Scientists Built a ‘Living Drug’ to Beat Cancer
Researchers didn’t know if it would work, but they had little to lose when they tried a new drug—a living cell reprogrammed to recognize and kill leukemia—on a dying 6-year-old.

ELENA LACEY
IN 2010, EMILY Whitehead was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, a cancer of certain cells in the immune system.

This is the most common form of childhood cancer, her parents were told, and Emily had a good chance to beat it with chemotherapy. Remission rates for the most common variety were around 85 percent.

It would be 20 months before they’d understand the shadow behind that sunny statistic, and the chilling prospect of volunteering their daughter as patient zero for the world’s first living drug.

good read - wonderful outcome ...not nearly universal yet but big time clinical trials.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-scienti ... dium=email

Possible cure for my son, newly diagnosed with Level 2 brain cancer tho he is responding well to existing chemo and radiation....it's a type that likes to come back. Very much wait and see but the diagnosis a couple weeks back sure explained some symptoms over the past two years. Just knowing the cause is a relief and he is responding to chemo/radiation daily treatments. It's got a decently long survival rate and with targetted treatments like the above that could turn into a cure.
Poor kid, got the short straw twice ....type one diabetes and now this. :what:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby eduardo » Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Macdoc wrote:Certainly don't see that inferred claim anywhere from them or anyone else nor would it be justified. Treating is a long ways from a cure. A variety of cancers responding to a single approach is the breakthrough to be explored.

Not yet in human trials and who knows if the side effects ( speaking from experience ) will be tolerable.

Chemo is a process of poisoning yourself in search of killing cancer cell with a cocktail of drugs including other drugs to offset the poisoning...fun ..not.

It is long and difficult and I wish you the best. You will have the knowledge that you apoptosis system for fighting the disease is compromised which means that you need to be extra careful.
eduardo

Name: Eduardo

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Briton » Feb 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Thommo wrote:I didn't know you'd had cancer, but I'm very glad to hear that you were the beneficiary of some of this type of amazing research.

I was listening to a science podcast and the were discussing this and apparently they weren't even researching cancer treatment, they were working on tackling bacteria, and kind of stumbled upon this 'breakthrough'.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Macdoc » Feb 17, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks Eduardo ...I'm now long cured. My onco said you might be back to see me but it won't be for this particular cancer. But the experience is helping a bit dealing with my son's which is more dangerous than mine was.

Briton
Stumbling into breakthroughs?...yeah fortune favours the prepared mind. There have been a number where serendipity plays a role...anti-biotics for one.
Even the girl in article ...her doctor had a cross discipline experience to allow him to seek a solution. My partner works in the auto-immune field ( lupus, RA, etc ) and told me of some cross fertilization into the cancer realm. The main ingredient in my chemo - Rituximab- she uses all the time in her work in smaller doses. She was part of the world wide effort doing clinical trials on biologics when she was doing research and running trials at her hospital. They stopped as the bureaucracy became daunting.

My prognosis would have been far worse without Rituximab around...and it was not many years since that CHOP-R formula was concocted before my run in with lymphoma. The headache with the biologics is cost to the health-care system.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Fallible » Feb 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Briton wrote:
Thommo wrote:I didn't know you'd had cancer, but I'm very glad to hear that you were the beneficiary of some of this type of amazing research.

I was listening to a science podcast and the were discussing this and apparently they weren't even researching cancer treatment, they were working on tackling bacteria, and kind of stumbled upon this 'breakthrough'.

There are apparently tens of non-cancer drugs which may be beneficial also to cancer patients...I think they are busy researching this at the moment. Metformin is one. Can’t come soon enough.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine