Do hands get bigger as you age?

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Do hands get bigger as you age?

#1  Postby Emmeline » Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

I tried to put on a bangle this morning and it wouldn't go over my hand. I haven't worn it for about 5 years and my hands aren't fat. It got stuck on the knuckle bones. So are my hands getting bigger due to ageing? (I'm in my 50s).
Emmeline

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Do hands get bigger as you age?

#2  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 10, 2010 11:41 am

Topsy wrote:I tried to put on a bangle this morning and it wouldn't go over my hand. I haven't worn it for about 5 years and my hands aren't fat. It got stuck on the knuckle bones. So are my hands getting bigger due to ageing? (I'm in my 50s).

Um dunno, cobber! Ears and noses do grow. Could be a bit of swelling from a touch of arthritis maybe??
DBD is a fun username. I do not imagine myself as a reincarnation of T.H. Huxley, and with respect, neither should you.
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#3  Postby thomasac13 » Mar 10, 2010 3:58 pm

I don't know if this is correct since endocrinology would be my subject only in the next year, but since you're already over the 50s, it's pretty safe to assume you're a menopause, and men do have bigger hands than women, perhaps the recent rises in androgen makes that enlargement of the bones of your fingers and presumably, as well as the bones of your hand, is my assumption correct, topsy?
thomasac13

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sphynxcat » Mar 10, 2010 4:01 pm

If it means that my cock ain't shrinking, then yeah, I'd go with my hands getting bigger...
Author of 'Dreamshade', one weird and wild fantasy epic: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15916
Sphynxcat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby natselrox » Mar 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Unlikely. The ossification of almost all the bones end by the age of 23.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 10, 2010 4:11 pm

It's a well known relationship. Big hands, big gloves.

My high school class ring still fits just right. High school class ring. What a stupid idea it was to buy that thing, as if it has any meaning to anyone now.

Feet? I had to throw away a ten year old pair of boots recently. Too short. My toes were jammed into the toe box. They were not always so.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Oeditor » Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm

I'd go for a touch of arthritis too. My knuckles swelled a bit quite suddenly, long after they'd ossified. I can't remember how old I was but I'd guess above 40. They haven't changed since.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Elena » Mar 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Topsy :)

Couple questions for a differential diagnosis:

- is the problem with the bangle limited to one side? i.e. are your right and left hands and knuckles similar in size?

- has your hand grown, overall? Can you wear old gloves? If they can't fit beyond your knuckles, how is the gloves' size when superposed to your hand on a flat surface? Are the gloves smaller?
Elena
RS Donator

Female

Print view this post

#9  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 14, 2010 5:46 am

Sphynxcat wrote:If it means that my cock ain't shrinking, then yeah, I'd go with my hands getting bigger...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but... :evilgrin:

But seriously, I've had to re-arrange a couple of rings I was wearing recently, but that's just because I gained weight... :shifty:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby nar » Mar 15, 2010 5:00 am

I don't know about hands, but feet do increase by half or more in size after about 60 +/-. Podiatrists can confirm this, and they should know. One theory is that the arches droop somewhat and the feet spread laterally and longitudinally.

nar
nar

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Emmeline » Mar 15, 2010 9:01 am

Elena wrote:Hi Topsy :)

- is the problem with the bangle limited to one side? i.e. are your right and left hands and knuckles similar in size?

- has your hand grown, overall? Can you wear old gloves? If they can't fit beyond your knuckles, how is the gloves' size when superposed to your hand on a flat surface? Are the gloves smaller?

My hands are about the same size as each other - the bangle won't fit over either (and it used to). I don't have any old gloves to try on so I can't tell if it's the overall size. It feel like I can't close my hand as much as I could - ie when you close your hand to slip on a bangle - it's sounding like a touch of athritis in my knuckles but I don't get any pain.

Interesting to read above that ears and noses get bigger as we age - why is that?
Emmeline

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 15, 2010 9:13 am

Topsy wrote:
Elena wrote:Hi Topsy :)

My hands are about the same size as each other - the bangle won't fit over either (and it used to). I don't have any old gloves to try on so I can't tell if it's the overall size. It feel like I can't close my hand as much as I could - ie when you close your hand to slip on a bangle - it's sounding like a touch of athritis in my knuckles but I don't get any pain.

Interesting to read above that ears and noses get bigger as we age - why is that?

Neoteny basically. Humans retain juvenile features when they become reproductive. But eventually, the adult features come as we age. Neoteny [or pedomorphism] was strongly selected for [we suppose] because its a great way of adding relative brain size. And the resultant difficult births make the "grandmother effect", so we live a bit longer for our body size.
DBD is a fun username. I do not imagine myself as a reincarnation of T.H. Huxley, and with respect, neither should you.
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#13  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 15, 2010 10:08 am

Topsy wrote:Interesting to read above that ears and noses get bigger as we age - why is that?

Bones stop increasing in length when the growth plates 'freeze', but cartilage keeps on growing. This raises interesting questions over what people would look like if we did manage to increase our lifespan to 200 years. :ask:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby twistor59 » Mar 15, 2010 10:15 am

Osteoarthritis can certainly cause the knuckles to enlarge (Google "Bouchards Nodes and Heberdens Nodes). There doesn't have to be any pain involved.
Feel your body melt Mum to mud to mad to dad
Dad diddley office Dad diddley office.....you're all full of ball
Dad to dam to dum to mum
Mum diddley washing Mum diddley washing.....you're all full of ball
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Agrippina » Mar 17, 2010 5:39 am

Defiitely, my feet are still 'small' according to my kids but I've definitely gained a couple of shoe sizes since 60. And my hands are bigger,And don't start about ears, noses and chins, and arse, and gut. No wonder people died at 40 years ago, old age was just too freaking ugly. :shock:
Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature.
Michael Faraday
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 17, 2010 5:41 am

My mum just had to get her wedding ring re-sized--arthritis has made her knuckles giant, and working with her hands all day hasn't helped any.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Agrippina » Mar 17, 2010 6:16 am

mmmcheezy wrote:My mum just had to get her wedding ring re-sized--arthritis has made her knuckles giant, and working with her hands all day hasn't helped any.

Yep I've done that as well, had my favourties resized. The rest can just sit in a jewellery box for a grand daughter to inherit.
Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature.
Michael Faraday
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Berthold » Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Neoteny basically. Humans retain juvenile features when they become reproductive. But eventually, the adult features come as we age.

Aldous Huxley used the idea in fiction:
When Dr Obispo finally finds the Fifth Earl of Gonister again in Europe, still alive at 200, the Earl has fully matured from the juvenile ape that man really is. Apparently, Huxley is referring to man as an immature, not fully grown ape.
Berthold

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#19  Postby ConnyRaSk » Mar 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Agrippina wrote:Defiitely, my feet are still 'small' according to my kids but I've definitely gained a couple of shoe sizes since 60. And my hands are bigger,And don't start about ears, noses and chins, and arse, and gut. No wonder people died at 40 years ago, old age was just too freaking ugly. :shock:

:rofl:

I passed on my beautiful leather gloves on to our daughter (which she promptly managed to lose :waah: ) because my hands had grown wider.
Anybody know by how much do one's ears grow? (percentage wise) -and i always thought they grew because we begin to lose our sense of hearing ( :shifty: jk)
Literature, fiction, poetry, whatever, makes justice in the world. That’s why it almost always has to be on the side of the underdog. ~Grace Paley
ConnyRaSk

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Agrippina » Mar 22, 2010 6:01 am

ConnyRaSk wrote:
Agrippina wrote:Defiitely, my feet are still 'small' according to my kids but I've definitely gained a couple of shoe sizes since 60. And my hands are bigger,And don't start about ears, noses and chins, and arse, and gut. No wonder people died at 40 years ago, old age was just too freaking ugly. :shock:

:rofl:

I passed on my beautiful leather gloves on to our daughter (which she promptly managed to lose :waah: ) because my hands had grown wider.
Anybody know by how much do one's ears grow? (percentage wise) -and i always thought they grew because we begin to lose our sense of hearing ( :shifty: jk)

I don't know. I'm lucky in that I've always had tiny ears so they've not grown too much. I saw my sister last week, she'd just had a hair cut and for some reason the stylist cut it off right above her ears and they are enormous. :shock: I think if mine do get bigger, I'll just keep them covered, I don't want to look like Dumbo. :lol:
Michael Faraday
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine