Dutch university researchers look into miracle cures

following prayer - such a waste of money

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Dutch university researchers look into miracle cures

#1  Postby Papa Smurf » Dec 29, 2016 11:25 am

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... ng-prayer/

www.dutchnews.nl wrote:Researchers at Amsterdam’s VU University are working on a project to examine examples of miracle healing, Trouw said on Thursday.
Kruijthoff told the paper he is not out to prove if faith healing works. ‘By far most people who are prayed for see no significant change,’ he said.
‘But there are cases in which someone appears to have recovered and which cannot be ascribed to pills or other medical treatment. I have already mapped some of these and hope to do more.’
Kruijthoff, himself a Christian, began researching miracle cures several years ago after a patient of his who had been in a wheelchair for 17 years could walk again after visiting a faith healer.

Such a waste of money. There will always be a few recoveries that cannot (yet) be explained. No doubt the devout will proclaim God did it.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Re: Dutch university researchers look into miracle cures

#2  Postby Shrunk » Dec 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Yes. Does he not understand why clinical trials include a control group?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Dec 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Although if he manages to finally find an example of an amputated limb regrowing, that would be noteworthy.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Yep another xtian idiot trying to prove the unprovable by wasting public money.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Shrunk wrote:Yes. Does he not understand why clinical trials include a control group?

Not required when god is involved.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Oooo! I cannot WAIT to see his findings confirm that miracles do happen.... So much unknowns here to put me I'm on the edge of my seat! Will he reveal the news on Monday? Or maybe on Friday? Will he be wearing a lab coat or jacket and tie? Will he publish his findings in Answers Research Journal or hold a press conference an a church altar? Who knows? :dunno: It's all anyone's guess!

Finally! Someone with definitive (or is it divinitive?) proof!

:lol:
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 12:46 pm

I would not hold my breath Penny.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Shrunk » Dec 29, 2016 4:57 pm

PensivePenny wrote:Oooo! I cannot WAIT to see his findings confirm that miracles do happen.... So much unknowns here to put me I'm on the edge of my seat! Will he reveal the news on Monday? Or maybe on Friday? Will he be wearing a lab coat or jacket and tie? Will he publish his findings in Answers Research Journal or hold a press conference an a church altar? Who knows? :dunno: It's all anyone's guess!

Finally! Someone with definitive (or is it divinitive?) proof!

:lol:

That doesn't seem to be his game:

Of the 15 cases Kruijthoff has looked at so far, 11 have already been explained. The four remaining cases will be further researched. These include someone with terminal cancer who recovered, he said. ‘We are going to talk to these people to find out exactly what they experienced.’

Kruijthoff told the paper he does not suggest there is a direct link between prayer and healing. ‘You will never be able to demonstrate a causal link,’ he said. ‘We can establish that healing took place around the prayer and that the situation is different before and after. But we will never be able to say it happened due to prayer.’

IOW: "Look how sciency I am being! I've actually eliminated most of the cases. And of the cases where we have been unable to identify non-Divine reasons for the miracle cures, well, we still can't say for certain that Jesus cured them." (Nudge, wink.)
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

He has found a gravy boat with a bit government gravy in it. The next revue and his gravy will be gone.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine