New Type 2 Diabetes Treatment

Derived from Gila Monster venom

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

New Type 2 Diabetes Treatment

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 03, 2016 2:02 am

Scientists at the Scripps Research Institute have alighted upon a new treatment for Type 2 Diabetes, that shows a huge amount of promise. A non-technical review of the development can be read here.

It transpires that there are now dozens of scientific papers covering the molecule in question, known as Exendin-4. A sample paper is this one:

Effects Of Exenatide (Exendin-4) On Glycaemic Control Over 30 Weeks In Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Treated With Metformin And A Sulphonylurea by David M. Kendall, MD, Matthew C. Riddle, MD, Julio Rosenstock, MD, Dongliang Zhuang, PHD, Dennis D. Kim, MD, Mark S. Fineman, BS and Alain D. Baron, MD, Diabetes Care, 28(5): 1083-1091 (May 2005) doi: 10.2337/diacare.28.5.1083 [Full paper downloadable from here]

Kendall et l, 2005 wrote:Abstract

OBJECTIVE—This study evaluated the effects of exenatide, a novel incretin mimetic, in hyperglycemic patients with type 2 diabetes unable to achieve glycemic control with metformin-sulfonylurea combination therapy.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS—A 30-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was performed in 733 subjects (aged 55 ± 10 years, BMI 33.6 ± 5.7 kg/m2, A1C 8.5 ± 1.0%; means ± SD) randomized to 5 μg subcutaneous exenatide b.i.d. (arms A and B) or placebo for 4 weeks. Thereafter, arm A remained at 5 μg b.i.d. and arm B escalated to 10 μg b.i.d. Subjects continued taking their dose of metformin and were randomized to either maximally effective (MAX) or minimum recommended (MIN) doses of sulfonylurea.

RESULTS—Week 30 A1C changes from baseline (±SE) were −0.8 ± 0.1% (10 μg), −0.6 ± 0.1% (5 μg), and +0.2 ± 0.1% (placebo; adjusted P < 0.0001 vs. placebo), yielding placebo-adjusted reductions of −1.0% (10 μg) and −0.8% (5 μg). In the evaluable population, exenatide-treated subjects were more likely to achieve A1C ≤7% than placebo-treated subjects (34% [10 μg], 27% [5 μg], and 9% [placebo]; P < 0.0001). Both exenatide arms demonstrated significant weight loss (−1.6 ± 0.2 kg from baseline each exenatide arm, −0.9 ± 0.2 kg placebo; P ≤ 0.01 vs. placebo). Mild or moderate nausea was the most frequent adverse event. The incidence of mild/moderate hypoglycemia was 28% (10 μg), 19% (5 μg), and 13% (placebo) and appeared lower with MIN than with MAX sulfonylurea treatment.

CONCLUSIONS—Exenatide significantly reduced A1C in patients with type 2 diabetes unable to achieve adequate glycemic control with maximally effective doses of combined metformin-sulfonylurea therapy. This improvement in glycemic control was associated with no weight gain and was generally well tolerated.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine