Shit

the ultimate probiotic

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Shit

#1  Postby Gallstones » Dec 15, 2010 5:29 pm

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -superbug/

WASHINGTON (AP) - A superbug named C-diff is on the rise, a germ that so ravages some people's intestines that repeated tries of the strongest, most expensive antibiotic can't conquer their disabling diarrhea.

Now a small but growing number of doctors are trying a last-ditch treatment: Using good bacteria to fight off the bad by transplanting stool from a healthy person into the sick person's colon.

Yes, there's a yuck factor. But reports of several dozen cases in a medical journal and at a meeting of the nation's gastroenterologists this fall suggest that with no more inconvenience than a colonoscopy, people who have suffered C-diff for months, or longer, can rapidly improve.

"This is the ultimate probiotic," says Dr. Lawrence Brandt of New York's Montefiore Medical Center, who has performed 17 of the procedures.

CONTINUES
Gallstones

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Shit

#2  Postby chairman bill » Dec 15, 2010 5:35 pm

I know some people drink urine, claiming health benefits, but are we now to see copraphagia as the next health fad? Given the shit that spews out of Gillian MacKeith's mouth on issues of nutrition, it can only be a matter of time before she advocates eating it.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Gallstones » Dec 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Copraphagia is common, especially among herbivores.
The point isn't that there are nutritional faddists, but that this treatment is effective. No artificial ingredients.

If you read the article you will see that the patients aren't eating it. Although I don't know why the organisms couldn't be cultured and processed into a product that could be eaten--like yogurt.
Gallstones

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby james1v » Dec 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Years ago, i read an article about how bacteriologists in the then USSR, were having some success against many bacterial diseases, by fishing out bacteria from sewerage treatment plants. They looked for bacteria, that more or less fed on the harmful bacteria. These were then cultivated and injected into patients, with a good rate of success.

It said this technique was far cheaper than developing new treatments.

unfortunately,i cannot for the life of me remember where i read it. :scratch:

Edit: I was wrong, it was bacteriophages (viruses) they were fishing for. Heres an article that is quite similar to the one i read, though the one i read was earlier than this one....

http://www.biotech-monitor.nl/3905.htm

:cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mantisdreamz » Dec 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Interesting. If it works, I guess that's all that matters. They probably just transplant little amounts anyway...
ImageImageImage
Mantisdreamz

Name: Krystal
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby ZedTheLiberator » Dec 18, 2010 5:56 pm

They really need to make sure the official acronym for this treatment actually is S.H.I.T. Might require some work though.
ZedTheLiberator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ironclad » Dec 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I will never eat a turd, ever never. Thank you.

Unless she has a pert bottom and makes really cute noises as she squats over my fa...
*sits up quickly, rubs eyes*
" If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"We all feed on death, even vegetarians" - Mr Spock
Ironclad

Name: Irradiant Troglodyte
Male

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Steve » Dec 18, 2010 7:58 pm

I understand in terms of cell count a human system is 90% bacteria. In terms of DNA content it is 99% bacteria. They don't ride on us, we just think they do. They made us. And now they are going to make us eat shit. And just to make sure of it, it's for our own good. Smart little fuckers...
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 19, 2010 2:02 am

Cultivating bacteria that are part of our natural gut flora to replenish lost ones isn't a bad idea. I have a sneaking feeling that the 7 years I spent taking antibiotics for repeat instances of tonsillitis probably knocked out all my Oxalobacter formigenes, and this is why I have kidney stones. I'm willing to bet that if someone came up with an Oxalobacter yogurt culture and I ate it, I'd kiss goodbye to kidney stones without having to drink like a fish.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby ZedTheLiberator » Dec 19, 2010 5:24 am

I'm sure you're dead on. I jest about some of this, Steve's comment really just illuminates that the whole field of 'probiotics' is not just viable, but in certain ways we're still in the dark ages as far as medicine. Instead of treating the body, we should be treating the bacteria.
ZedTheLiberator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Paul1 » Dec 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Note that the article suggests that there is "no more inconvenience than a colonoscopy" - that all happens through the anus, no turd eating is involved.

Gallstones wrote:Copraphagia is common, especially among herbivores.
The point isn't that there are nutritional faddists, but that this treatment is effective. No artificial ingredients.

If you read the article you will see that the patients aren't eating it. Although I don't know why the organisms couldn't be cultured and processed into a product that could be eaten--like yogurt.

I agree, or taken as a suppository (to prevent break down in the stomach?) I'd much prefer to have an entire yoghurt shoved up my ass than someone else's poop.

It's been treated like a scientific breakthrough in a very technical way - but it amounts to shoving someone else's healthier shit into your ass.
Not really keen on the Islamic religion, personally indifferent about this
Paul1

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Delvo » Dec 20, 2010 2:07 am

Where do we get our particular species of bacteria from in the first place when we're very young, and why doesn't it work for elephants?
Delvo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mac_Guffin » Dec 20, 2010 3:23 am

Ironclad wrote:I will never eat a turd, ever never. Thank you.

Unless she has a pert bottom and makes really cute noises as she squats over my fa...
*sits up quickly, rubs eyes*

I'd take it in a pill form as long as it's not like fish oil pills that give you an aftertaste. :yuk:
I came into this world like a puzzled panther. Wanting to be caged, but something stood in the way. I was never quite tamed.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher Ockman
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 07, 2011 4:26 pm

The first time I heard about "fecal transplants" it was in this article which quotes parents instructing how to DIY (which involves cake decorating tools.....) and suggesting it may cure autism due to that non-existent link between autism and gut health Wakefield "discovered".

/me barfs
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Lance » Dec 13, 2011 2:07 am

I would regard this as a temporary expedient. Scientists still have an incomplete knowledge of what bacteria are useful, and so eating shit would be to give the full dose.

The downside is that human shit also contains lots of pathogens, so this could make you quite sick - above and beyond the revulsion, that is! Our repugnance for human turds has good cause.

A much better approach, once science has a bit more complete knowledge, is to culture the necessary bacteria, and put them into a form for ingestion (like that yoghurt), which would give the helpful little beggars while excluding the cholera and its mates.
Lance

Name: Lance Kennedy

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine