Sweet Video of Deaf Girl Hearing Her Own Voice

..for the first time ever

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Sweet Video of Deaf Girl Hearing Her Own Voice

#1  Postby Ironclad » May 03, 2012 2:36 pm

I was born deaf and 8 weeks ago I received a hearing implant. This is the video of them turning it on and me hearing myself for the first time

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOo3jzkhYA[/youtube]

I thought this was a very touching moment.

Science brings joy. :thumbup:
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"We all feed on death, even vegetarians" - Spock

"Sometimes you just have to bow to the absurd" - Picard
Ironclad

Name: Irradiant Troglodyte
Male

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sweet Video of Deaf Girl Hearing Her Own Voice

#2  Postby orpheus » May 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Bookmarking
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mattthomas » May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Saw this a few months ago... she's also hot :)

In fact it was what I was referring to in that thread about why football is wank :coffee:
Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just don't quit!
mattthomas

Name: Matt
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Ironclad » May 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Matt, you really know how to spoil the moment pal. :sigh:

Ironclad

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby LIFE » May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Ah yes, I remember that video. Touching, but I was a bit saddened to read she gives her god all the credit and not enough to the scientific achievement (and of course the doctors!) who made this all possible.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ironclad » May 03, 2012 3:00 pm

FFS, god & Mattwilson buggering it all up. Bastards! :rage:

Ironclad

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby mattthomas » May 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Ironclad wrote:Matt, you really know how to spoil the moment pal. :sigh:

She is hot though, I felt it needed pointing out :naughty2:
Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just don't quit!
mattthomas

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 03, 2012 5:51 pm

With all those tattoo's?
Myths in islam Women and islam

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#9  Postby orpheus » May 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Just watched the video. That was awesome. Very moving.

:clap:
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Shrunk » May 04, 2012 12:15 am

Thanks for sharing that. It reminds me of this well-known image of a young boy named Harold Whittles hearing for the first time thru a hearing aid.

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Matt8819 » May 04, 2012 1:48 am

That made me have happy tears. :awesome:
Matt8819

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Made of Stars » May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

:waah:

Oh, and she speaks REALLY well for someone who's been deaf all her life. :shock:

Oh2, and very cute. :)
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby r.c » May 04, 2012 5:16 pm

How is she able to understand and talk? Isn't she hearing the words for the first time?
" By virtue of being old, nothing necessarily is good; nor is anything unacceptable by virtue of being new; The wise accept only after examining, while the fools go by others' understanding."
r.c

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Mr.Samsa » May 06, 2012 6:24 am

r.c wrote:How is she able to understand and talk? Isn't she hearing the words for the first time?

She's not deaf in the complete deaf sense - she was 'clinically deaf' in that she had some hearing, but well below what is necessary for functioning hearing. She used hearing aids and similar devices for most of her life, which allowed her to learn how to speak etc, but hearing through hearing aids and being able to hear are two completely different things. It's like wondering why someone is impressed with seeing a sunset for the first time, when they've spent their whole life looking at a black and white picture of the sunset taken with a pinhole camera.

Also, not all deaf people have noticeable speech impediments, or any at all for some people.
Mr.Samsa
Suspended User

Print view this post

#15  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2012 9:36 am

... Therefore, perhaps the different reactions of the young woman and the little boy are because the young woman knew what it was like to hear, because she was not completely deaf, whereas the little boy had no idea what it was like until he was given the hearing aid. The young woman's joy was probably because of the ending of years of frustation, frustration possibly not felt by the little boy.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Mr.Samsa » May 06, 2012 10:50 am

DavidMcC wrote:... Therefore, perhaps the different reactions of the young woman and the little boy are because the young woman knew what it was like to hear, because she was not completely deaf, whereas the little boy had no idea what it was like until he was given the hearing aid. The young woman's joy was probably because of the ending of years of frustation, frustration possibly not felt by the little boy.

Maybe.. but I imagine it's more likely that the woman was experiencing pure joy at this amazing new sensation; hearing. Like I mentioned above, hearing aids can give you a vague impression of what hearing is like, and technically you are "hearing", but it's qualitatively nothing like actually hearing. She would never have heard what her own voice sounds like, for example, with hearing aids. She would have heard enough to differentiate words, but she would have no idea about pitch or timbre or anything like that.
Mr.Samsa
Suspended User

Print view this post

#17  Postby John P. M. » May 06, 2012 11:16 am

Strangely (to those of us who can hear anyway), there's been and is still a controversy over this in the 'deaf community'.
There's this weird thing going on there, with 'deaf culture' being "threatened". It's a whole world I was unaware of not too long ago. I know a girl who have gotten this type of implant, and I've seen her having to defend herself on a Facebook page for deaf people.

As an aside, she only had what sounded like a slight speech impediment before the implants, like the girl in the video.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#18  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2012 11:17 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:Maybe.. but I imagine it's more likely that the woman was experiencing pure joy at this amazing new sensation; hearing.

No doubt she was, at the greatly improved quality of her new hearing experience, but she had something to compare it with. The little boy, on the other hand, could not have had any idea what it was like. Being very young, he might not have even realised until then that he had actually had a problem. He would have had to work out, by watching those around him carefully, that there was something he was missing, although he would not have known what exactly it was. Therefore, he would not have missed it much, IMO, because you don't miss what you know nothing of. The boy suddenly being able to hear would be more like you or I suddenly being given "bat-vision" - amazement, rather than relief.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mr.Samsa » May 06, 2012 11:30 am

John P. M. wrote:Strangely (to those of us who can hear anyway), there's been and is still a controversy over this in the 'deaf community'.
There's this weird thing going on there, with 'deaf culture' being "threatened". It's a whole world I was unaware of not too long ago. I know a girl who have gotten this type of implant, and I've seen her having to defend herself on a Facebook page for deaf people.

Yeah the girl in the video was attacked and harassed by the Deaf community because they feel that she was lying as she wasn't "really" deaf. Basically, for people like this girl, you are stuck in no man's land, where you aren't functional enough to fit in with the people who can hear, and you're not deaf enough to fit in with the people who have a whole culture with sign language, etc. Then when this girl makes a breakthrough and manages to finally fit in somewhere, the Deaf community attack her because she calls herself, and correctly so, 'deaf'.

It's very messed up and disgusting that parents could actively choose to let their kid be disabled when it is easily fixable, and just as bad when they attack others for not wanting to be disabled.
Mr.Samsa
Suspended User

Print view this post

#20  Postby Ironclad » May 06, 2012 1:09 pm

Is this absolute, that she had a degree of hearing? From the video, it's all I have of her, she speaks very little anyway, barely enough to make this sort of mean judgement.

Also, [wiki] "cochlear implants are an affront to their culture". Like, seriously!? How pathetic.

Ironclad

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Medicine