This almost scary

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

This almost scary

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jun 05, 2017 3:53 am

Universal cancer test that detects tumours 10 years before they become dangerous is being developed

5 JUNE 2017 • 12:01AM
The simple blood test promises to revolutionise survival rates by catching cancers at their earliest stage CREDIT: ANDREW BROOKES

A universal cancer test that can detect tumours 10 years before they become dangerous is being developed, scientists have announced.

The simple blood test promises to revolutionise survival rates by catching cancers at their earliest stage.

Researchers told the world’s largest oncology conference in Chicago they had successfully trialled the technology on more than 120 patients with breast, lung or prostate cancers.

more

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... dangerous/
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: This almost scary

#2  Postby zulumoose » Jun 05, 2017 11:38 am

I don't understand.

How can a cancer be present for 10 years before becoming dangerous? Isn't it the rapid growth of cancer cells that make them dangerous in the first place? So the first 10 years of rapid unchecked growth isn't dangerous and can go undetected?

Does not compute. What am I missing? The whole article cannot be read without subscription.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jun 05, 2017 3:06 pm

yeah - needs some chasing and clarification.....consider the source as well...
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby zoon » Jun 05, 2017 3:35 pm

zulumoose wrote:I don't understand.

How can a cancer be present for 10 years before becoming dangerous? Isn't it the rapid growth of cancer cells that make them dangerous in the first place? So the first 10 years of rapid unchecked growth isn't dangerous and can go undetected?

Does not compute. What am I missing? The whole article cannot be read without subscription.

Googling cancer on Wikipedia here, it appears that cancers often happen as a result of a series of mutations in the affected cells and their descendants, they can start slowly and become more invasive as the mutations accumulate. The more actively multiplying cells are, by definition, more likely to have descendants which then acquire even more mutations for uncontrolled growth. It's natural selection in action, undoing over months or years the mechanisms which evolved over millions of years to prevent the runaway multiplication of body cells. I suppose the hope is to catch them very early. Quoting from the Wikipedia article:
The errors that cause cancer are self-amplifying and compounding, for example:

A mutation in the error-correcting machinery of a cell might cause that cell and its children to accumulate errors more rapidly.
A further mutation in an oncogene might cause the cell to reproduce more rapidly and more frequently than its normal counterparts.
A further mutation may cause loss of a tumor suppressor gene, disrupting the apoptosis signaling pathway and immortalizing the cell.
A further mutation in the signaling machinery of the cell might send error-causing signals to nearby cells.
The transformation of a normal cell into cancer is akin to a chain reaction caused by initial errors, which compound into more severe errors, each progressively allowing the cell to escape more controls that limit normal tissue growth. This rebellion-like scenario is an undesirable survival of the fittest, where the driving forces of evolution work against the body's design and enforcement of order. Once cancer has begun to develop, this ongoing process, termed clonal evolution, drives progression towards more invasive stages.[70] Clonal evolution leads to intra-tumour heterogeneity (cancer cells with heterogeneous mutations) that complicates designing effective treatment strategies.

There is another article here, which is not behind a paywall, about the news in the OP,
zoon

Print view this post

#5  Postby zulumoose » Jun 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks Zoon, now I understand not only this, but also how exposure to carcinogens decades before a cancer diagnosis is not irrelevant.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6  Postby felltoearth » Jun 08, 2017 8:49 pm

That's an interesting point. Say you're an asbestos abatement worker. Taking this test often could give you the base line you need if you have an illness claim against a company.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Jun 08, 2017 8:51 pm

Maybe it's quantum or something. Quantums are very scientific, IIRC.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Macdoc wrote:yeah - needs some chasing and clarification.....consider the source as well...

Maybe you should think before you post, Macdoc, especially if it's a newspaper article!
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Macdoc » Jun 15, 2017 12:09 am

Maybe you should either put up or shut up. You contribute NOTHING to the conversation except a personal attack which will be reported.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Fallible » Jun 15, 2017 10:52 am

Woops, was someone not 100% in agreement with you again? There is no personal attack there. Calm down.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine