Thyroid issue and Veggies

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Thyroid issue and Veggies

#1  Postby Voltage » Aug 24, 2014 5:21 pm

My brother has thyroid issue ..( still waiting for results) so until then he's trying to limit how much greens he eats cause apparently it messes with your thyroid function...He probably read somewhere Does anyone know if this is true OR can someone explain what is all about
Voltage
Banned User

Name: owen

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Thyroid issue and Veggies

#2  Postby Weaver » Aug 24, 2014 6:55 pm

If he is hypothyroid - or has a thyroid which is functioning at too low a level - then he does need to avoid some foods which have effects of further slowing thyroid function.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/co ... thyroidism

Nutrition and Supplements
Following these nutritional tips may help reduce symptoms:
Eat foods high in B-vitamins and iron, such as whole grains (if no allergy), fresh vegetables, and sea vegetables.
Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens.
If you take thyroid hormone medication, talk to your doctor before eating soy products. There is some evidence soy may interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone.
Taking iron supplements may interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone medication, so ask your doctor before taking iron.
Eat foods high in antioxidants, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell pepper).
Avoid alcohol and tobacco. Talk to your doctor before increasing your caffeine intake, as caffeine impacts several conditions and medications.

Source: Hypothyroidism | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/co ... z3BKs4JF7n
University of Maryland Medical Center
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

This isn't to say the foods listed need to be avoided entirely - cooking veggies well destroys enzymes, which can allow moderate consumption.

Above all, he should follow his doctor's advice.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Voltage » Aug 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Thank you weaver.. Yeah, definitely follow Dr's advice. I'm doing more research on it too.
Voltage
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby THWOTH » Aug 25, 2014 12:34 am

The foods listed by Weaver are predominantly brassicas, which many people have no difficulty avoiding. I must admit though, a raw cabbage heart is one of my favourite snacks.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Voltage » Aug 26, 2014 8:04 am

Does Iodine help with Thyroid issues?
Voltage
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mike_L » Aug 26, 2014 11:30 am

Voltage wrote:Does Iodine help with Thyroid issues?

Only if iodine deficiency is the cause of the problem in the first place. It must be said, though, that iodine deficiency is a rare occurrence in First World countries... mostly because of national health programmes under which iodine is added to table salt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodised_salt
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby THWOTH » Aug 26, 2014 12:09 pm

:this: Though the relationship between Iodine and the Thyroid is rather complicated, there are a number of possible causes of thyroid disorders and a simple causal relationship between a particular nutritional element and the disease is not always easy to pin down. Nonetheless the most common, and readily treatable, disorders are over- and under-active thyroid (hyper- and hypothyroidism), and there's some good info on those here...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thyroid-un ... ction.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thyroid-ov ... ction.aspx
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby jaydot » Sep 01, 2014 8:12 pm

if poor thyroid function is the result of dietary deficiency, (as it is in my case) then potassium iodide tablets may help. i was able to stock up in germany. in britain the tablets are not available, but tincture of iodine can make a reasonable substitute. four drops per day taken in apple juice made it palatable.

no doctor will sanction the above. you have to suck it and see. works for me.

all other forms of thyroid malfunction need to be looked at by hexpertz.
jaydot

Print view this post

Return to Medicine