Type One diabetics take heart

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Type One diabetics take heart

#1  Postby Macdoc » Mar 21, 2022 1:29 am

INSIGHT
The diabetes cure: A century after Banting and Best’s ‘message of hope,’ science is actually close
Several “very, very promising” biomedical trials suggest that a full cure for diabetes is in sight, 100 years after Frederick Banting and Charles Best announced the discovery of insulin.

Sernova says the first two patients in the study, amazingly, no longer need insulin.

My son is a Type One and this is very good news - hoping to get him into a trial if his brain cancer does not get in the way . Poor kid.... :waah:

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/20 ... close.html
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Type One diabetics take heart

#2  Postby Bestiola » Mar 21, 2022 6:39 pm

:(
VAE VICTIS Motherf*ckers
Bestiola

Female

Print view this post

#3  Postby hackenslash » Mar 21, 2022 7:05 pm

Macdoc wrote:
INSIGHT
The diabetes cure: A century after Banting and Best’s ‘message of hope,’ science is actually close
Several “very, very promising” biomedical trials suggest that a full cure for diabetes is in sight, 100 years after Frederick Banting and Charles Best announced the discovery of insulin.

Sernova says the first two patients in the study, amazingly, no longer need insulin.

My son is a Type One and this is very good news - hoping to get him into a trial if his brain cancer does not get in the way . Poor kid.... :waah:

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/20 ... close.html

That's fantastic if it bears out. I'll be doing the sceptics' version of keeping my fingers crossed for your boy.

Is Genes4Life still at Princess Margaret?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Mar 21, 2022 10:01 pm

Thanks

Genes4 not sure ...it's a hotbed of research in the area. Remarkable times.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby hackenslash » Mar 21, 2022 10:02 pm

I know they did a research fellowship there (I went and had dinner with them when they were in Tronno), and I think it was extended at least once, but I dropped off the map and haven't seen anyone for maybe two years before coming back here.
Last edited by hackenslash on Mar 22, 2022 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Beatrice » Mar 22, 2022 1:22 am

Genes4Life's pronouns are she/they.
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby hackenslash » Mar 22, 2022 5:04 am

Oh, shite. I'm sorry, A, my dear friend.

Thank you, Beatrice.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 22, 2022 9:14 am

Sorry to hear about your son, Macdoc! That's really shitty! :(

And if you are in contact with Genes4Life, Beatrice, would you do me the favour of sending them my love. They've been gone from here a long time, but I still remember their posts fondly as I learned an awful lot from them!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Beatrice » Mar 23, 2022 1:21 am

Spearthrower wrote:Sorry to hear about your son, Macdoc! That's really shitty! :(

And if you are in contact with Genes4Life, Beatrice, would you do me the favour of sending them my love. They've been gone from here a long time, but I still remember their posts fondly as I learned an awful lot from them!

I can certainly do that.

Macdoc: I'm sorry your son has to go through this.
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Mar 27, 2022 3:49 am

Thanks all ...kids had a rough go from early on....still recall him red faced and wailing when only a month old or so he had to have small operation to correct a ureter defect, then Type One at 9 which he handled maybe better than expected for boys ( girls are anal about their sugars ...boys careless and run into problems.)
Recall one time his sugars would not come down and I had to take him in....was feeling bad and the staff asked me how often he had to go to hospital and I said once and got this huge congrats ...made me feel better.

Once he got the insulin pump it was easier but still not perfect. One scary but ultimately funny situation.
He was in his teens and a big guy ...riding motorcycle and his confidence well up.

He usually had snacks in his bedroom and some of the high intensity sugar liquid ,,,,glucose maybe but was feeling low and decided to go down for a snack instead.
I was in my bedroom and the damn house shook with this huge thud. :what:
Scrambled down to the kitchen and here is laid out on the floor with blood all over, milk all over and him out cold :o

This the kind of stupid bad luck he gets at times. He was fine getting to the fridge, taking a plastic mug out and pouring the milk when the fucking bottom of the mug let go .....when does a mug fall apart in your hand ????!!!!!...so the startle just tipped into a low sugar faint and he hit his nose on the counter going down.

Now at this point I had no idea what was up other than my rather large teen is out cold on the kitchen floor with lots of milk and blood all over.
Fortunately there is a medic station around the corner so within 5 minutes two rather large medics were crowded into the kitchen attending him..
I explained the diabetic issue ( I didn't know whether he was high or low at that point ) and they tested had him around right quick with some of the fast sugar stuff they use and which I never had to use. Checked everything and aside from a groggy "wha happened" when he came around it all turned out fine ....but jeez ...the damn bottom of the cup just let go when the cold milk hit it. :scratch:

Good few years, him working, we took a couple long distance motorcycle trips ...he'd been riding since 14...and decent diabetes management.
Hindsight is 20-20 ......around 2017 he lost interest in riding :shock: and was having an issue with concentration and keeping a job....diabetes is called the invisible disability as it has odd impacts on mental and physical health so we just put it down to that.

Then In January 2020 just when covid was emerging he had a siezure and lucky his mum was visiting as he could have died if left alone.
Ambulance called ....no sugar issues ....WTF ....brain tumour ( good size )and of course with treatment he's crazy at risk from covid. He has a gem of a partner and we took turns running him to hospital for radiation etc. Can't work and no long term disability pension tho one bright spot was the Covid support which is now running out....hard luck kid. :whine:
Will see him in October for a few weeks when I get back from Oz and he's got a new treatment that is helping...hoping he can work again....have something lined up for him if he is up for it. Fingers crossed.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 02, 2022 10:22 pm

Meanwhile, you can add this to the list of welcome developments in the field ... :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Macdoc » Apr 03, 2022 5:44 am

Thanks - he has continous monitoring and a pump but don't think they are linked.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine