Why don't we vaccinate against chickenpox?

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Why don't we vaccinate against chickenpox?

#1  Postby mrjonno » Mar 10, 2010 11:31 am

Unlike the MMR vaccine where there is zero credible argument against bar complete child killing lunatics the chickenpox vaccination is a bit more complicated.

Chickenpox rarely causes long term health issues but is unpleasant and economically costly. Would 1 person dying out of 50 million who were vaccinated justify saving billions for nation. Also vaccinating children may indirectly lead to shingles a more unpleasant disease in old people . So protecting economically active people may cause harm to other groups?.

Its a news story in the UK today so I hope it belongs in current affairs.

Almost tempted to support on the principle that it would piss of the Daily Mail but while that feels good its not particuarly rational

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8557236.stm
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why don't we vaccinate against chickenpox?

#2  Postby noncredo » Mar 10, 2010 7:47 pm

My daughter was vaccinated for chicken pox. The doctor that did my daughters vaccine didn't even offer the MMR vaccine, and from what I gathered, most immunologists have replaced the MMR with the MMRV. I can't be sure of this since I only went to one doctor for the vaccination, but that's what he said.
Trump 2020
noncredo

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why don't we vaccinate against chickenpox?

#3  Postby kiore » Mar 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Some countries have the varicella vaccine as part of their child immunization programs, as an adult you could get vaccinated for this if you have never had it, usually you have a blood test first to see if you had perhaps had a sub clinical case and are already protected. Basically though there are so many more lethal infections to squeeze into vaccination programs that decisions have to be made from a population health perspective on where efforts are best spent. It is not just about vaccine costs, but the effort costs. Previously as a vaccine provider I saw a remarkable number of people picking vaccines for themselves or their children based on the number of 'jabs' rather than the benefit conferred. Currently as a public health educator I advise people to prioritize and not have 'unnecessary' vaccines and skip the necessary ones.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Return to Medicine