X-Rays like you've never seen befpre

Understanding the basis and treatment of disease.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

X-Rays like you've never seen befpre

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jul 13, 2018 7:46 am

The World's First Full-Color, 3D X-rays Are Freaking Me Out

Andrew Liszewski
A high-contrast, black-and-white image of your bones is an effective tool for spotting fractures or breaks. But after 120+ years, x-ray imaging is getting a remarkable update with 3D, full-color images that reveal far more than just the bones inside you. These images will improve what a doctor can diagnose without cutting you open.

The traditional approach to imaging the insides of a patient involves blasting them with x-rays. This electromagnetic radiation has a shorter wavelength than visible light, so it can easily pass through soft tissue, but it has more trouble passing through harder materials like bones. On the other side of your body, a sensor, or film, produces an image based on the intensity of the x-rays that make it through, thus revealing what’s inside you.

A New Zealand company called Mars Bioimaging has developed a new type of medical imaging scanner that works in a similar fashion, but borrows technology developed for the Large Hadron Collider at CERN to produce far more detailed results. The Medipix3 chip works similar to the sensor in your digital camera, but it detects and counts the particles hitting each pixel when a shutter opens

more
https://gizmodo.com/the-worlds-first-fu ... 45304?IR=T

snip - not a sci--fi dream either

It will be years before the new Spectral CT scanner receives all the clearances and approvals it needs so that it can be used in hospitals and clinics. But it’s well past the research stages at this point, and clinical trials are expected to get underway in New Zealand in the coming months.

:thumbup:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: X-Rays like you've never seen befpre

#2  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 13, 2018 2:01 pm

I hope these are soft X-rays; otherwise, I don't want to be 'blasted by x-rays'. The cure might, as is often the case, be as bad as the disease. If you concentrate too much energy in too small a space in a living system, there may be teratogenic effects. People in doubt may roll the dice; this is no panacea.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#3  Postby surreptitious57 » Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm

I also was wondering if one would be exposed to higher doses of radiation with these x rays
Given how they are less resistant to passing through solid matter like bone I would think so
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm

It is at least going to depend on how long the exposure has to be in order to obtain enough information for the tomography.

I recently had a dental inlay done by computer imaging and computer controlled machining. The imaging of the bite surface took on the order of a couple of minutes to collect the necessary topography. Then I got to watch a computer-controlled lathe machine the ceramic for the inlay, matching the bite surface and the bottom surface of the tooth that had been drilled out. It was very exciting to see this in action, and the bite surface was perfect when it was finally glued into my existing dentition.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Jul 13, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Jul 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Any X-ray is low dose compared to the levels a cancer patient receives.

been there done that ...cancer free for 12 years or so. Feels like an internal sunburn, an itch you can't scratch.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Medicine