Any groups or regular meet ups in Sydney?

List your event or idea to invite your local forum members.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Any groups or regular meet ups in Sydney?

#1  Postby sydneyberlin » Jul 06, 2010 5:57 am

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if there are any atheist groups worth joining here in Sydney as I would love to get in touch with more like-minded people. Unfortunately, most groups' websites look rather uninviting and I'm not sure if any are worth my time. Any suggestions, is anyone part of any?

I am asking because I've been to the convention in Melbourne earlier this year and was amazed by the diversity of people who I came across there and had little chats with. As diverse as they were, one thing they seemed to have in common, they were mostly open-minded, smart and interesting to talk to. Exactly the kind of people I'd like to meet more of and pretty much the opposite of all those people I have to endure at my work place :doh:
sydneyberlin

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Any groups or regular meet ups in Sydney?

#2  Postby CookieJon » Jul 06, 2010 6:27 am

sydneyberlin wrote:Hey everyone,

I am wondering if there are any atheist groups worth joining here in Sydney as I would love to get in touch with more like-minded people. Unfortunately, most groups' websites look rather uninviting and I'm not sure if any are worth my time. Any suggestions, is anyone part of any?

I am asking because I've been to the convention in Melbourne earlier this year and was amazed by the diversity of people who I came across there and had little chats with. As diverse as they were, one thing they seemed to have in common, they were mostly open-minded, smart and interesting to talk to. Exactly the kind of people I'd like to meet more of and pretty much the opposite of all those people I have to endure at my work place :doh:

Where do you work? :think:
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby xrayzed » Jul 06, 2010 6:35 am

I'd be interested in finding out if there are any Sydney based groups as well. Like sydneyberlin I met some great people at the atheist convention, very strong on science, rationality, evidence-based thinking, skepticism, and so on. A group that was interested in the same kinds of areas would be great, but so far the groups I've seen on the web haven't really appealed to me.
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby sydneyberlin » Jul 06, 2010 6:44 am

CookieJon wrote:

Where do you work? :think:

In a big pharmaceutical company. Selling evidence-based medicine seems to influence what kind of people are working there less than being located out West. Most of them are very conservative and very narrow-minded, unfortunately.

Even more a reason to spend my free time with people who have brains! :cheers:
sydneyberlin

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby redwhine » May 23, 2012 4:15 pm

http://www.meetup.com/AustSkeptics/

...if anyone's still interested! ;) :lol:
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Return to Events