GAC 2012

13 - 15 April 2012

List your event or idea to invite your local forum members.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: GAC 2012

#201  Postby podblack » Mar 29, 2012 1:55 am

Lion IRC wrote:What is it with GAC New Atheism and comedy, comedy, comedy, comedy, comedy? Julian Morrow, Craig Reucassel, Lawrence Leung, Stella Young, Mikey Robins, Ben Elton, Tom Ballard, Sue-Ann Post, Mr Deity, Catherine Deveny (eye candy? No thanks)

You're getting played.

Firstly, possibly because the Melbourne Comedy Festival is on at the same time (Lawrence is gigging around the convention and so are others). Performers have to make a living after all... I don't see why they can't kill two birds with one stone? Mind, people clearly aren't attending just for comedians. I know a few people who are going just to catch up with friends!

In general, I've asked Tim Minchin and Stephen Fry about why skepticism, atheism and comedy, comedy, comedy:

Tim Minchin: It can be very funny watching people respond with absolute clarity and skepticism to strange ideas that are so passionately scatter-gunned—the delivery of them can be so wild and enormous and evangelical... But I get letters saying things like “bashing religion isn’t funny or interesting and it’s boring,” and I got one that tried to say “You think you’re cool bashing religion but it’s been done,” and that’s a really interesting thing to me too — because I agree. We shouldn’t be having this discussion anymore all these years later.

Stephen Fry: Comedy is always about the real world. Philosophers or religionists will make a pompous, abstract statement and a comedian will say, “Is that true on a Wednesday?” Comedians want a cut and dried example of the facts of the world. Because comedy is about observation—as is science—it’s about repeatable patterns, and it’s testing some statement that may be preposterous or may be true. Statements made of grandeur and abstract truth are always tested by comedians, so in that sense, comedy is a very good way to get the credulous onside, if you like. Because it says “Is that true? Is it really true? Let’s see!”
podblack

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#202  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 29, 2012 1:57 am

Hi PB, long time no see. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#203  Postby podblack » Mar 29, 2012 2:05 am

Made of Stars wrote:Hi PB, long time no see. :cheers:

Hello! :grin: I popped in because a student I met at a local uni is trying to sell her ticket (they scheduled her big law exams on the Friday and Monday and she's devastated but can't toss the ticket in the bin if there's a chance that someone else might want to buy it) and checked in here to see if there was another 'tickets for sale / wanted' section! :) The topic of "why atheism and comedy" would make a great thread on it's own, IMHO. Wish I saw Eddie Izzard out himself as an atheist at the recent Reason Rally!
podblack

Print view this post

#204  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 29, 2012 2:17 am

podblack wrote:...Eddie Izzard out himself as an atheist at the recent Reason Rally!

Now there's a surprise... :smug:

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Lion IRC » Mar 29, 2012 4:51 am

podblack wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:What is it with GAC New Atheism and comedy, comedy, comedy, comedy, comedy? Julian Morrow, Craig Reucassel, Lawrence Leung, Stella Young, Mikey Robins, Ben Elton, Tom Ballard, Sue-Ann Post, Mr Deity, Catherine Deveny (eye candy? No thanks)

You're getting played.

Firstly, possibly because the Melbourne Comedy Festival is on at the same time (Lawrence is gigging around the convention and so are others). Performers have to make a living after all... I don't see why they can't kill two birds with one stone? Mind, people clearly aren't attending just for comedians. I know a few people who are going just to catch up with friends!

In general, I've asked Tim Minchin and Stephen Fry about why skepticism, atheism and comedy, comedy, comedy:

Tim Minchin: It can be very funny watching people respond with absolute clarity and skepticism to strange ideas that are so passionately scatter-gunned—the delivery of them can be so wild and enormous and evangelical... But I get letters saying things like “bashing religion isn’t funny or interesting and it’s boring,” and I got one that tried to say “You think you’re cool bashing religion but it’s been done,” and that’s a really interesting thing to me too — because I agree. We shouldn’t be having this discussion anymore all these years later.

Stephen Fry: Comedy is always about the real world. Philosophers or religionists will make a pompous, abstract statement and a comedian will say, “Is that true on a Wednesday?” Comedians want a cut and dried example of the facts of the world. Because comedy is about observation—as is science—it’s about repeatable patterns, and it’s testing some statement that may be preposterous or may be true. Statements made of grandeur and abstract truth are always tested by comedians, so in that sense, comedy is a very good way to get the credulous onside, if you like. Because it says “Is that true? Is it really true? Let’s see!”

Thanks for the links.

podblack wrote:
...Hello! :grin: I popped in because a student I met at a local uni is trying to sell her ticket (they scheduled her big law exams on the Friday and Monday and she's devastated but can't toss the ticket in the bin if there's a chance that someone else might want to buy it) and checked in here to see if there was another 'tickets for sale / wanted' section! :) The topic of "why atheism and comedy" would make a great thread on it's own, IMHO....

There's a few threads about the place which touch on the theme.

I got banned (without explanation) from richarddawkins.net shortly after I posted something about the link between atheism and comedy in one of their Tim Minchin threads.

And of course a have a post about atheist eye-candy, Cathrine Deveny, still awaiting moderation at http://www.atheistconvention.org.au/201 ... ed-spirit/

Catherine Deveny's Twitter comedy routine about Rove McManus (a recent widower at the time) having sex with the underage daughter of Steve Irwin (recently deceased) was a CLASSIC.

She will do a great job cheering up the folk at GAC 2012.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#206  Postby Durro » Mar 29, 2012 5:34 am

So Lion, are we going to see you there for a beer ?
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#207  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 30, 2012 4:05 am

podblack wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:Hi PB, long time no see. :cheers:

Hello! :grin: I popped in because a student I met at a local uni is trying to sell her ticket (they scheduled her big law exams on the Friday and Monday and she's devastated but can't toss the ticket in the bin if there's a chance that someone else might want to buy it) and checked in here to see if there was another 'tickets for sale / wanted' section! :) The topic of "why atheism and comedy" would make a great thread on it's own, IMHO. Wish I saw Eddie Izzard out himself as an atheist at the recent Reason Rally!

Tell the law school concerned that they are ignorant fucks with tiny penises! The idea of not letting a student go to a reason fest is retarded beyond belief. :evilgrin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#208  Postby ginckgo » Apr 01, 2012 4:18 am

Still haven't bought tickets - I wish I had this depression under control
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#209  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 01, 2012 5:24 am

Perhaps buying tickets will help. ;)

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Durro » Apr 01, 2012 6:32 am

ginckgo wrote:Still haven't bought tickets - I wish I had this depression under control

Mate, meeting you and going on your informal museum tour was one of the highlights of the last GAC. I was hoping to meet up with you again, if only to say thanks in person yet again.

:beer:
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#211  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 01, 2012 7:07 am

Durro wrote:
ginckgo wrote:Still haven't bought tickets - I wish I had this depression under control

Mate, meeting you and going on your informal museum tour was one of the highlights of the last GAC...

Yes, I'm sorry I missed that. :(

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#212  Postby ginckgo » Apr 01, 2012 7:33 am

Made of Stars wrote:
Durro wrote:

Mate, meeting you and going on your informal museum tour was one of the highlights of the last GAC...

I was actually thinking of offering something similar this time, or maybe a tour of our relatively new evolution gallery (a lot of what I showed last time is probably on display now, including the 'giant' fossil squid that I tried to get PZ to come and see). Maybe on the Friday, and then head straight to the opening night.
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#213  Postby Durro » Apr 01, 2012 8:20 am

*Puts on best Oliver Twist begging voice*

Please sir, may I have another ?

:)
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#214  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 01, 2012 3:03 pm

ginckgo wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:
Durro wrote:

I was actually thinking of offering something similar this time, or maybe a tour of our relatively new evolution gallery (a lot of what I showed last time is probably on display now, including the 'giant' fossil squid that I tried to get PZ to come and see). Maybe on the Friday, and then head straight to the opening night.

Please Sir, I missed the last one! If it comes to pass, BDB + Mrs DBD are keen. :thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#215  Postby podblack » Apr 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Lion IRC wrote:Catherine Deveny's Twitter comedy routine about Rove McManus (a recent widower at the time) having sex with the underage daughter of Steve Irwin (recently deceased) was a CLASSIC.

Incorrect:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainme ... 5861776586
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/ ... -u6si.html
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 890384.htm

I remembered the controversy - where she did insult both Bindy and Rove, but not in the way you describe - and I remember that Deveny was sacked from The Age. It was a month after the GAC.

Personally, if I'm not keen on an act (and I have attended conferences in the past where I have not attended sessions for personal reasons), I walk out and have a break. Or just not attend the conference at all and write (not via a noise-heavy forum board but via official feedback form or email) to the convention organisers to say so.

People did support boycotts for appearances of Richard Dawkins at conventions, after "Elevatorgate" - and I remember people saying at the last GAC that they'd walk out on Dawkins appearing after the closure of the RD forum board?

(Personally, I'm more surprised that people continue to support Kyle Sandilands in any way, shape or form.)
podblack

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#216  Postby ginckgo » Apr 02, 2012 12:31 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
ginckgo wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:
Durro wrote:

Please Sir, I missed the last one! If it comes to pass, BDB + Mrs DBD are keen. :thumbup:

If it weren't for the likelihood that they're too busy just before the GAC, I'd love to get a few of the presenters to come as well. Stella Young used to work at Melbourne Museum, maybe she holds some sway?
Cape illud, fracturor

ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#217  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 02, 2012 12:18 pm

podblack wrote:I remember people saying at the last GAC that they'd walk out on Dawkins appearing after the closure of the RD forum board?

I don't recall anyone actually doing so, and there were several jilted mods and numerous jilted members in the room. Your words were very well received BTW, but I'm guessing The Dawk himself wasn't there to hear them.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#218  Postby ginckgo » Apr 03, 2012 1:43 am

Got responses from PZ and Kylie Sturgess indication that thery're interested, depending on timing.
Cape illud, fracturor

ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#219  Postby Durro » Apr 03, 2012 6:06 am

That's way cool gingcko.

:beer:
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#220  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 03, 2012 8:44 am

Don't tell PZ I''m coming, I am still banned on his forum for demanding he look at the evidence [ie testimony from all the mods and admins] before automatically siding with Dawkins and Josh about the reasons for the RDF forum meltdown.
:ill:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Events