Global Atheist Convention - Melbourne 2010

List your event or idea to invite your local forum members.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Global Atheist Convention - Meet ups ?

#81  Postby Praxis » Mar 09, 2010 3:26 am

Goldenmane wrote:I'll even stay somewhat sober.

People, we have that in writing :shock: :lol:
The Global Atheist Convention. March 12-14 2010. I was there!!
(in case you were wondering who I am - I used to be Aesthetic Atheist :) )
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#82  Postby starr » Mar 09, 2010 3:26 am

Praxis wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
stijndeloose wrote: A wise decision that anyone can make: if you feel tempted to attack a RatSkep member, take a break.

starr
RS Donator

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 09, 2010 3:27 am

Praxis wrote:

Somewhat is such a beautiful word, expansive, and covering many ills. :mrgreen:
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#84  Postby ginckgo » Mar 09, 2010 3:34 am

Goldenmane wrote:
Praxis wrote:

Somewhat is such a beautiful word, expansive, and covering many ills. :mrgreen:

You don't have to be drunk to understand the Ediacaran - but it helps 8-)
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#85  Postby riddlemethis » Mar 09, 2010 3:40 am

xrayzed wrote:
ginckgo wrote:Not that it's strictly atheistic, but are any attendees interested in a back-of-house tour of Melbourne Museum's palaeontology collections?

I've tried emailing PZ and Richard if they were interested, but I guess it got lost in the mountain of emails they get (at least that's my consolation to being ignored :waah: )

Uh - totally?

Time is going to be an issue. I don't know how much free time there will be. I suspect not much.

Thank you very much for the offer. Extremely kind.

Oh, shit, you aren't kidding are you? I would love to come if it is at a time that I can fit it in. Any chance it could be done on Saturday (I could bring my son, it's his 8th birthday & he is dinosaur crazy! pleeeeeze, pleeeeeze). I mean I know you'd be missing convention stuff, but surely you could skip one of the bloody comedians?! Anyhow, keep us posted.
I told the priest, don't count on any second coming. God got his ass kicked the first time he came down here slumming. - Concrete Blonde

Reason is the servant of the passions - David Hume

You got to be Jesus crazy to pull a move like that. - Victor T
riddlemethis

Female

Print view this post

#86  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 09, 2010 3:42 am

riddlemethis wrote:
xrayzed wrote:
ginckgo wrote:Not that it's strictly atheistic, but are any attendees interested in a back-of-house tour of Melbourne Museum's palaeontology collections?

I've tried emailing PZ and Richard if they were interested, but I guess it got lost in the mountain of emails they get (at least that's my consolation to being ignored :waah: )

Uh - totally?

Time is going to be an issue. I don't know how much free time there will be. I suspect not much.

Oh, shit, you aren't kidding are you? I would love to come if it is at a time that I can fit it in. Any chance it could be done on Saturday (I could bring my son, it's his 8th birthday & he is dinosaur crazy! pleeeeeze, pleeeeeze). I mean I know you'd be missing convention stuff, but surely you could skip one of the bloody comedians?! Anyhow, keep us posted.

I wouldn't worry about missing one of the comedians, if I'm coming along.

I can do idiotic pratfall with the best of them.

:mrgreen:
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

Re: Australian Atheist Convention, Melbourne 12-14 March

#87  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 09, 2010 3:48 am

starr wrote:Geeez Louise! I'm going to feel like a giant next to you people! :shock:
:naughty2:

vive la différence! :naughty2: One thing my otherwise perfect genome lacks are genes for altitude! :naughty2: ;) :whistle: :lol: :lol: :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#88  Postby Witticism » Mar 09, 2010 4:20 am

Durro wrote:I believe that Sean and Suz, the Witticisms (and their little half-wit) will be joining us for lunch on Friday. I'll contact him to confirm.

:cheers:

Steve

Yep :cheers: :drunk: :hungry:

Probably last time I can check in here till we meet up. (Maybe Friday morning)

Durro and Starr have my mobs if anyone wants to contact me.

I'm going to the big smoke of Launceston this arvo for work - 2 days training then straight back to Hobart and on the plane for Mel .. yay!

Gotta motor.

See you guys soon :beercheers:
If you are not vegan, please consider going vegan. It’s a matter of nonviolence. Being vegan is your statement that you reject violence to other sentient beings, to yourself, and to the environment, on which all sentient beings depend.
Gary Francione
Witticism
RS Donator

Name: Witti
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#89  Postby ginckgo » Mar 09, 2010 4:36 am

riddlemethis wrote:
xrayzed wrote:

Uh - totally?

Sorry, I was actually kidding. I'm not allowed to give tours.
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 09, 2010 4:39 am

ginckgo wrote:
riddlemethis wrote:
xrayzed wrote:

Uh - totally?

Sorry, I was actually kidding. I'm not allowed to give tours.

You owe me a beer. :snooty:
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#91  Postby ginckgo » Mar 09, 2010 4:42 am

No really, I would love to give a collection tour to a select few (can't really do more than a dozen at a time - herding cats, and all that :))

One problem: due to our exhibition redevelopment going on, most of our best specimens are now in a temporary store that I have no access to. But there's still very cool stuff here. We don't any great dino material (not like the Yanks or the Chinese anyway), but there is lots of small bits from Dinosaur Cove etc.

Anyway, not sure what time on the Saturday you were thinking - unless you're calling PZ a comedian? I don't want to miss any of it, and it is a bit of a hike from the Melbourne Exhibition Center to the Royal Exhibition Building (they do get confused at times). Are you in Melbourne? I could organise another weekend for the Melbournian homies.
Cape illud, fracturor

ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#92  Postby ginckgo » Mar 09, 2010 4:43 am

Goldenmane wrote:You owe me a beer. :snooty:

Pints are on me!

By the end of the night I'm drenched.
Cape illud, fracturor

ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Praxis » Mar 09, 2010 4:58 am

ginckgo wrote:Dang, how did I miss this thread, my eye-sight must be devolving.

Grr, I should have booked the Friday & Saturday nights after all. Thought I had baby sitting duties, but now my parents happen to be in town, so I could have fobbed it off on them :grin: .

Anyway, I'd love to catch up with some familiar avatars here - how are we going to be recognisable? Forum Avatar name tags?

I could make it to lunch on the Friday (not that I'm gatecrashing or anything; am I? :angel: ).

You're most welcome to join us :cheers: (somewhere in this thread I think Durro has said a meet-up outside the convention centre at ... I pm ish? Something like that!

MEANWHILE: If anyone wants to make themselves a nametag, I have a stack of those plastic insert thingies with safety pins (you know the things I mean?). I wanted to buy one or two but found that they only come in boxes of a LOT!

I have 50 of the damn things! I'll bring them with me and you're more than welcome o make use of them.

They're about 4 cm x 6 cm.
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#94  Postby ginckgo » Mar 09, 2010 5:01 am

Hello? Anybody?

I was kidding about kidding: I can give tours. Really I can.

Come back everyone!
Cape illud, fracturor

ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 09, 2010 5:04 am

ginckgo wrote:Hello? Anybody?

I was kidding about kidding: I can give tours. Really I can.

Come back everyone!

:snooty:

:mrgreen: Kidding. I have to go to work, though.

I've only got a ticket for the Sunday, even though I'll be there for the entire weekend (and almost all of Monday - figured I should take the opportunity to take a look around). So I'm pretty flexible with whatever happens.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#96  Postby Praxis » Mar 09, 2010 6:36 am

I'm feeling generous!

If you PM me with your avatar of a decent size & quality, I will make you a nametag for the Convention.

I've made two for myself - one has my AFA avatar as well as my RatSkep avatar, my forum name and then it says:

AFA Member & Forum Moderator
rationalskepticism.org member
RDF Forum member 2006 - 2010

The other one has the AFA logo and my forum name and "but you can call me Lil" on it.

So many names and affiliations I need two badges!

Anyway, if you would like one with your avatar, forum name and perhaps your real name too *gasp* - PM me. I'll hand them out on Friday (or whenever I see you!).

:cheers:
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#97  Postby Durro » Mar 09, 2010 6:44 am

Steve
(Durro)

rationalskepticism.org &
richarddawkins.net
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Praxis » Mar 09, 2010 6:54 am

Durro wrote:Steve
(Durro)

rationalskepticism.org &
richarddawkins.net

It's not very big ...

:whistle:
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

#99  Postby xrayzed » Mar 09, 2010 6:55 am

Praxis wrote:If you PM me with your avatar of a decent size & quality, I will make you a nametag for the Convention.

Nice gesture. What size is "decent size"?
A thinking creationist is an oxymoron. A non-thinking creationist is just a moron.
(Source: johannessiig, here)
xrayzed

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Praxis » Mar 09, 2010 6:59 am

xrayzed wrote:
Praxis wrote:If you PM me with your avatar of a decent size & quality, I will make you a nametag for the Convention.

Nice gesture. What size is "decent size"?

er ... don't know really :scratch:

Put it this way, I pinched Goldenmane's avatar to play with and when I tried to make it a bit bigger, it became quite blurry. So if he has a bigger version I'd rather work with that and size it down.

I've just done Durro's and although it's quite small, I've managed to make it bigger quite easily with some manipulation (oooh, the fun of double entendres! I'm feeling positively Mrs Slocum :lol: )

So if you have a bigger version of your avatar, post that for me. Also, what wording you want and if you want some colour (I have a colour laser printer!).

Durro, do you want any colour for the text?
Praxis

Female

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Events