Reason Rally - March 24, 2012 - Washington, D.C.

A god-free get-together of non-theists

List your event or idea to invite your local forum members.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#21  Postby Mick » Jan 31, 2012 10:50 pm

You know, the Enlightenment had its fair share of theists both in the philo and science rooms.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
User avatar
Mick
Banned Troll
 
Posts: 7027

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#22  Postby iam43 » Feb 01, 2012 8:25 am

Mick wrote:You know, the Enlightenment had its fair share of theists both in the philo and science rooms.


..and a few death sentences were handed out for those who didn't believe in the correct religion.

http://www.site-magister.com/afcal.htm Your point?
"I believe that two things are infinite. The universe and stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein
User avatar
iam43
Banned User
 
Posts: 80

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#23  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Feb 01, 2012 8:38 am

Nebogipfel wrote:I like Daniel Dennetts idea of brights, the rational skeptics, and supers, the supernaturalists.

Then everyone has a positive nickname... :thumbup:

Except the Murkies...
Also available on Rationalia

Image
User avatar
Horwood Beer-Master
 
Name: Ian
Posts: 2186
Age: 39

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#24  Postby MrFungus420 » Feb 01, 2012 8:50 am

Fuck the Brights.

You're atheists...get over yourselves.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420
 
Posts: 3914

Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#25  Postby MrFungus420 » Feb 01, 2012 8:52 am

Teuton wrote:
Animavore wrote:"[It's a] cringe-making proposal that atheists should conceitedly nominate themselves to be called 'brights.'" - Christopher Hitchens.


Christopher Hitchens is dead.


That doesn't invalidate his opinion in any way. That doesn't change anything for those who agree with that opinion.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420
 
Posts: 3914

Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#26  Postby MrFungus420 » Feb 01, 2012 8:58 am

Teuton wrote:I concede that, marketingwise, it wasn't the cleverest decision to use the name "the Brights". But now that it exists, I wish that people with a naturalistic worldview wouldn't refuse to associate themselves with the Brights just because of the more or less unfortunately chosen name.


Not going to happen.

If people want to come across as so arrogant to call themselves "Brights", that is their prerogative..

It is my prerogative to point out how arrogant it sounds and to disassociate myself from the term. It is my prerogative to put it down at every available opportunity. It is my prerogative to encourage others to avoid this term because it sounds so fucking arrogant.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420
 
Posts: 3914

Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#27  Postby crank » Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am

Hey, how could anyone not want to go when one of the people behind The Aristocrats is going to be there?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
User avatar
crank
RS Donator
 
Name: Sick & Tired
Posts: 10413
Age: 5
Male

Country: 2nd miasma on the left
Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#28  Postby Mazille » Feb 01, 2012 10:10 am

I can't for the life of me understand how you can get together a list of speakers that awesome and then fuck up the marketing so hard. Come on... Krauss, Stark (not Tony), Savage, Minchin, the rest of the horsemen AND the probably most awesome guy in the world: The lead singer of a bad-ass rock band who also happens to hold a PhD in zoology. Come on!
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#29  Postby iam43 » Feb 01, 2012 11:37 am

Teuton wrote:
Animavore wrote:"[It's a] cringe-making proposal that atheists should conceitedly nominate themselves to be called 'brights.'" - Christopher Hitchens.


Christopher Hitchens is dead.


Irrelevant. You've quoted enough dead people to make your point for you in the past.

MrFungus420 wrote:Fuck the Brights.

You're atheists...get over yourselves.


:this:
"I believe that two things are infinite. The universe and stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein
User avatar
iam43
Banned User
 
Posts: 80

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#30  Postby crank » Feb 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Mazille wrote:I can't for the life of me understand how you can get together a list of speakers that awesome and then fuck up the marketing so hard. Come on... Krauss, Stark (not Tony), Savage, Minchin, the rest of the horsemen AND the probably most awesome guy in the world: The lead singer of a bad-ass rock band who also happens to hold a PhD in zoology. Come on!

:thumbup: On all counts. One wonders if they realize. Also, one wonders if that PhD came in handy attempting to identify some of the more exotic fauna attracted to punk shows in the 80's in LA, I always had a hard time, and never did find a guide book.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
User avatar
crank
RS Donator
 
Name: Sick & Tired
Posts: 10413
Age: 5
Male

Country: 2nd miasma on the left
Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#31  Postby LarianLeQuella » Feb 01, 2012 2:13 pm

iam43 wrote:
Mick wrote:You know, the Enlightenment had its fair share of theists both in the philo and science rooms.


..and a few death sentences were handed out for those who didn't believe in the correct religion.

http://www.site-magister.com/afcal.htm Your point?


Theists usually don't have points. They are all rather dull. :evilgrin:
User avatar
LarianLeQuella
 
Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Posts: 449
Age: 54
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#32  Postby Nebogipfel » Feb 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Horwood Beer-Master wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:I like Daniel Dennetts idea of brights, the rational skeptics, and supers, the supernaturalists.

Then everyone has a positive nickname... :thumbup:

Except the Murkies...


:lol:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
User avatar
Nebogipfel
 
Posts: 2085

Country: Netherlands
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#33  Postby 210karman » Feb 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Oh dear I thought this term had gone away.

Hi, I'm a bright. End of discussion...
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
User avatar
210karman
RS Donator
 
Posts: 1339
Male

Country: Utlending fra England
Norway (no)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#34  Postby Paul G » Feb 05, 2012 10:28 pm

I wonder if it gets crashed....
User avatar
Paul G
 
Name: Beef Joint
Posts: 9836
Age: 38
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#35  Postby AlohaChris » Feb 14, 2012 4:01 am

Anyone going?
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
User avatar
AlohaChris
RS Donator
 
Name: Chris
Posts: 4453
Age: 50
Male

Country: Uhmerikah
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#36  Postby snowman » Feb 14, 2012 7:13 pm

MrFungus420 wrote:Fuck the Brights.
You're atheists...get over yourselves.

No, brights are not the same as atheists. Atheists do not believe in a god. Thats all. They may believe in the existence of Bigfoot, Orcs, Miracles, supernatural Powers and many other things. Brights deny all that sort of supernatural stuff. Being an atheist says virtually nothing about your worldview. Being a bright tells much more about your worldview. Equating both is not correct.
User avatar
snowman
 
Posts: 55

Country: Switzerland
Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#37  Postby Teuton » Feb 14, 2012 7:38 pm

snowman wrote:No, brights are not the same as atheists. Atheists do not believe in a god. Thats all. They may believe in the existence of Bigfoot, Orcs, Miracles, supernatural Powers and many other things. Brights deny all that sort of supernatural stuff. Being an atheist says virtually nothing about your worldview. Being a bright tells much more about your worldview. Equating both is not correct.


Right. To be a Bright is to have more than just an atheistic worldview; it is to have a naturalistic/nonsupernaturalistic worldview.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
User avatar
Teuton
 
Posts: 5461

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#38  Postby Teuton » Feb 14, 2012 7:48 pm

snowman wrote:Atheists do not believe in a god. Thats all. They may believe in the existence of Bigfoot, Orcs, Miracles, supernatural Powers and many other things. Brights deny all that sort of supernatural stuff.


If Bigfoot existed, what would be supernatural about him? Wouldn't he be a member of an exotic natural animal species?
I think so, which means that the belief in the existence of Bigfoot or Yetis isn't supernaturalistic unless "supernaturalistic" is defined scientistically as "scientifically unconfirmed/unwarranted".
Bigfoot, Nessie (the Loch Ness Monster), and Yetis are simply natural creatures which happen to be nonexistent.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
User avatar
Teuton
 
Posts: 5461

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#39  Postby 210karman » Feb 14, 2012 8:17 pm

snowman wrote:
MrFungus420 wrote:Fuck the Brights.
You're atheists...get over yourselves.

No, brights are not the same as atheists. Atheists do not believe in a god. Thats all. They may believe in the existence of Bigfoot, Orcs, Miracles, supernatural Powers and many other things. Brights deny all that sort of supernatural stuff. Being an atheist says virtually nothing about your worldview. Being a bright tells much more about your worldview. Equating both is not correct.


On what basis do you imply that atheists may believe in in the existence of Bigfoot, Orcs, Miracles, supernatural Powers and in this sense they are different from "brights".
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
User avatar
210karman
RS Donator
 
Posts: 1339
Male

Country: Utlending fra England
Norway (no)
Print view this post

Re: THE BRIGHTS INVITE YOU TO THE REASON RALLY!

#40  Postby Teuton » Feb 14, 2012 10:06 pm

210karman wrote:
On what basis do you imply that atheists may believe in in the existence of Bigfoot, Orcs, Miracles, supernatural Powers and in this sense they are different from "brights".


The simple reason is that atheism consists in nothing more than the nonbelief in the existence or the belief in the nonexistence of God or other deities. That is, whatever it is, if it's not a god or deity, atheists may believe in its existence.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
User avatar
Teuton
 
Posts: 5461

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Events

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest