Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

List your event or idea to invite your local forum members.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Which days could you meet up?

Monday
3
13%
Tuesday
2
8%
Wednesday
2
8%
Thursday
2
8%
Friday
5
21%
Saturday
5
21%
Sunday
5
21%
 
Total votes : 24

Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#1  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Torontonians..... ASSEMBLE!

Yes the time has come for our e-love affair to bloom into something a bit more material. Time to unleash the fury of RatSkep onto the mean streets of Toronto!

I'm a resident here but only moved over from Ireland last year so I've no problem taking the plunge and meeting some new people. So come on down to have some big big fun in the city. Like to talk about skepticism shit? Like to talk about science fact, science fiction, debunking woo or just generally shoot the shit? Like to trade old war stories? Like to generally cause a scene to the embarrassment of others? Or perhaps you just wanna kick back and go for some good wings and beer and talk about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? We've got it all!

So who's in, who's out, who's shaking it all about? Any suggestions for a date, time, place?

Is it gonna be the hip, mean streets of Queen St. W, the seedy, sexy underworld of Jarvis, or perhaps the "hot pants are a must" Chruch St.? :lol: We don't even have to go downtown...

The RatSkep possie are out and going to feature at a bar near you. Bring your joke book and a fresh pair of pants!

Here's one for free:
A child gets lost in WalMart and asks a cashier "can you help me find my mommy?"....
The cashier says "no problem, son, what's she like?"....
The boy quickly replies "big dicks and vodka!".


This thread will self destruct in 5 seconds....
Last edited by HughMcB on Mar 25, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#2  Postby Sityl » Mar 25, 2010 8:48 pm

I'd be interested, but would be driving up from NY, so it'd have to be some kick-ass wings.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'


Image
User avatar
Sityl
 
Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Posts: 5131
Age: 39
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#3  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 8:54 pm

num1cubfn wrote:I'd be interested, but would be driving up from NY, so it'd have to be some kick-ass wings.

Driving from NY?! I don't know if I could handle that sort of pressure, does that mean I'd have to put out? :?

Is that NY State or City?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#4  Postby MitchLeBlanc » Mar 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Hrm, this might be fun. If I do come, would anybody be opposed to me filming some things for my Phronesis project: http://urbanphilosophy.net/projects/phronesis/ ?
User avatar
MitchLeBlanc
 
Posts: 55
Age: 32
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#5  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 9:10 pm

MitchLeBlanc wrote:Hrm, this might be fun. If I do come, would anybody be opposed to me filming some things for my Phronesis project: http://urbanphilosophy.net/projects/phronesis/ ?

At first I was a bit :? but having read your website it actually looks like a very interesting idea...

Phronesis Project wrote:Phronesis, UrbanPhilosophy’s first project, aims to bring philosophy to the streets of Toronto! During the Spring/Summer, the Phronesis team heads out to interview regular people on a variety of philosophical topics. The project is a constant search for wisdom in the midst of busy city life.


So are you suggesting a little Q&A? Could you give us a brief outline of what you may have planned? It would be better to have some form of structured approach rather than just filming some gratuitous drinking and dirty jokes.

Perhaps those who may be interested could part-take on a sidenote. We don't have to rush this too, we can always just meet for an old natter and see if we can bear each other enough to set a time for your project.

Whatever the mob wants!
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#6  Postby MitchLeBlanc » Mar 25, 2010 9:16 pm

HughMcB wrote:
MitchLeBlanc wrote:Hrm, this might be fun. If I do come, would anybody be opposed to me filming some things for my Phronesis project: http://urbanphilosophy.net/projects/phronesis/ ?

At first I was a bit :? but having read your website it actually looks like a very interesting idea...

Phronesis Project wrote:Phronesis, UrbanPhilosophy’s first project, aims to bring philosophy to the streets of Toronto! During the Spring/Summer, the Phronesis team heads out to interview regular people on a variety of philosophical topics. The project is a constant search for wisdom in the midst of busy city life.


So are you suggesting a little Q&A? Could you give us a brief outline of what you may have planned? It would be better to have some form of structured approach rather than just filming some gratuitous drinking and dirty jokes.

Perhaps those who may be interested could part-take on a sidenote. We don't have to rush this too, we can always just meet for an old natter and see if we can bear each other enough to set a time for your project.

Whatever the mob wants!


I don't want to takeover the meetup by any means, but it'd be a bit of Q and A. You might have a good idea about meeting first and then meeting again for those who might want to participate.

The topics would cover some things such as the role of science, the existence of morality, existence of God and so on and so forth.
User avatar
MitchLeBlanc
 
Posts: 55
Age: 32
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#7  Postby MitchLeBlanc » Mar 25, 2010 9:17 pm

Oh also, if you folks like Seafood (and there are less than 9 of us) we can get 25% off at the downtown Red Lobster =P
User avatar
MitchLeBlanc
 
Posts: 55
Age: 32
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#8  Postby Keyser Soze » Mar 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Let me know when and where, if I can make it I will be there. Would be cool to meet up with other like-minded folk in the GTA.

Whereabouts do you all live? I'm in Mississauga, I'd wager there are a few more who show "Toronto" and live in the 'burbs like me. :thumbup:
"...it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." (Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man, 1871)
User avatar
Keyser Soze
 
Posts: 110
Age: 53
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#9  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 9:29 pm

MitchLeBlanc wrote:Oh also, if you folks like Seafood (and there are less than 9 of us) we can get 25% off at the downtown Red Lobster =P

My list of Torontonians is only 9 people (and 1 of those is an unconfirmed Toronto dweller) so I doubt we'll have 9. Unless we get a sudden influx of Torontonauts.

I'm fine with any food, I'm as liberal with my eating as I am with my politics....
(not with my beers though, in that I'm a downright tyrant!)
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#10  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Let me know when and where, if I can make it I will be there. Would be cool to meet up with other like-minded folk in the GTA.

Whereabouts do you all live? I'm in Mississauga, I'd wager there are a few more who show "Toronto" and live in the 'burbs like me. :thumbup:

I'm living right down down (by the Skydome), but we can meet wherever. I imagine downtown somewhere will probably be most convenient overall though.

We can try to get a time to suit everyone. I'm off this weekend to the nations capital for some fun and frolicking. After that I'll be around.

I dunno if people would prefer weekend or weeknight though? :think:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#11  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Count me in. Downtown is probably best, I'd suggest someplace close to Union Station for those farther out but still near GO Transit lines.

If we're looking at restaurants, Fran's near the Eaton Centre isn't too far from any transit point, and has lots and lots of lots and lots. Mr. Greenjeans in the Eaton Centre works too.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
User avatar
lordshipmayhem
 
Posts: 1514
Age: 60
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#12  Postby Sityl » Mar 25, 2010 9:33 pm

HughMcB wrote:
num1cubfn wrote:I'd be interested, but would be driving up from NY, so it'd have to be some kick-ass wings.

Driving from NY?! I don't know if I could handle that sort of pressure, does that mean I'd have to put out? :?

Is that NY State or City?


State, not city, so I'm closer than you were thinking. Also, it means that you'd have to NOT put out.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'


Image
User avatar
Sityl
 
Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Posts: 5131
Age: 39
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Make sure you all tell your parents where you're going, and meet in a public area.
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 9620
Age: 36
Male

Country: Malaysia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#14  Postby RichardPrins » Mar 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Some more groups you can hook up with in your area:
http://skeptics.meetup.com/144/
http://www.meetup.com/The-Toronto-Athei ... tup-Group/
http://www.meetup.com/torontoskepticsinthepub/

And you bring back some to the forum... :mrgreen:
Image
Image
User avatar
RichardPrins
 
Posts: 1525
Age: 54

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#15  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 9:35 pm

num1cubfn wrote:State, not city, so I'm closer than you were thinking. Also, it means that you'd have to NOT put out.

I don't know if I'm still interested so... :(

How far upstate are you?
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#16  Postby Sityl » Mar 25, 2010 9:36 pm

HughMcB wrote:
num1cubfn wrote:State, not city, so I'm closer than you were thinking. Also, it means that you'd have to NOT put out.

I don't know if I'm still interested so... :(

How far upstate are you?


I'm smack dab in the center of the state, which is a little closer to toronto than NYC.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'


Image
User avatar
Sityl
 
Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Posts: 5131
Age: 39
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#17  Postby Madmaili » Mar 25, 2010 9:37 pm

I live 5 hours away and my only means of getting there is my brothers new car for which my death shall result if much mileage to it I add. I love Toronto though :grin:
Last edited by Madmaili on Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If life is meaningless , why the fuck are you still around?
User avatar
Madmaili
 
Posts: 452
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#18  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm


:tongue2:

I'm, only meeting up with them if its gonna be one of those pre-organised soccer hooligan style street fights! :smug:

JK, cheers for the info!
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#19  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:Make sure you all tell your parents where you're going, and meet in a public area.

:shhh:

They're gonna know I'm trying to abduct them.... the RatSkep Killer! :bat:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Toronto RatSkep Meet-up

#20  Postby HughMcB » Mar 25, 2010 9:40 pm

lordshipmayhem wrote:Count me in. Downtown is probably best, I'd suggest someplace close to Union Station for those farther out but still near GO Transit lines.

If we're looking at restaurants, Fran's near the Eaton Centre isn't too far from any transit point, and has lots and lots of lots and lots. Mr. Greenjeans in the Eaton Centre works too.

I'm big on beers, a good time and stepping out for a cigarette every now and again, if we can cater for that I'm cool. :smoke:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
User avatar
HughMcB
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 19113
Age: 36
Male

Country: Canada
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Events

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest