André Rieu.

Gifted musician - or twat?

Discuss music related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

André Rieu.

#1  Postby Animavore » Mar 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Picture this, you pop your head into the living room to say hi to your dad very quickly before scuttling off to the kitchen to mum because you can't bear being in the same room with your father due to a massive wedge of awkwardness between you. On the TV you spot some waltzers tangoing to some classical jive and smugly among them, Michael Flatly with a violin. You also spot on your da's laptop it's open on Ticketmaster's website and your pop's is looking, well pining, hoping someone will get the hint, over prices for tickets to a Michael Bolton, except it's not Michael Bolton, the act reads André Rieu. The guy from the telly.

So two years later you look him up yourself, assuming he's some maestro, because you're going to buy those goddamn tickets for him, next time he's around (I was too poor at the time to buy them), because no one else has, and you're going to be the number one son and upstage your siblings. :tongue2:

Anyway while googling you come across this devastating critique -

Here’s the thing. Sky Arts Rieu has, for this writer, taken on the quality of a scab that needs to be repeatedly picked. The Rieu experience is so hypnotically grotesque that life without it seems pale and underpowered. André and I are trapped in a co-dependent abusive relationship.

He tortures me with his ruthless desecrations of Mozart. I scream vile abuse at his unrelentingly smug face. Only one of us is making millions from the exchange.

(Other analogies rejected by the author included: drinking nail-polish remover, bursting swollen pimples and staring at the photographs of nasty tobacco-related diseases on contemporary British cigarette packets.)

:shock: Harsh!

Sky Arts Rieu confirmed that André was attempting to summon up a Ruritanian NeverWas by sending a fawning journalist to his (no really) medieval castle on the outskirts of Maastricht.

Standing proudly beneath an appalling painting of himself – apparently perpetrated by the artists who once worked for Woolworth’s – Rieu calmly fielded criticisms that he was anything less than a maestro for the ages. You know how these things go. The classical music establishment is composed of snobs. How can you argue with a billion in record sales? And so on.

“Critics and musicians who attack me are jealous of my success and the fact that I make people happy,” he has said. It should be noted this is the sort of argument teenage Justin Bieber fans use when anybody dares to question that warbling chipmunk’s talent or pulchritude. “Your just jelous, lol!”

:shock: Jesus!

Surely, this stuff is as demonstrably, unambiguously dreadful as the novels of Dan Brown, the films of Michael Bay or the comedy of Jim Davidson.

Identifying it as ordure is akin to classifying sodium hydroxide as an alkali. It just is.

And yet. This is not science. If hugely intelligent alien lizards descended to earth they may well prefer Daniel Barenboim to André Rieu, but, most likely, only because Dan tasted better when they locked their hungry jaws around his nourishing head.

In a few millennia all this culture will be meaningless dust. Until then, the bouncing masses at a Rieu concert have as much right to savour his saccharine melodies as I do to make theatrical gagging noises.

:shock: Oh, God! What am I about to unleash? I don't know if I should buy those tickets now. Not that any of this sounds out of sync with the schmaltz my dad listens to. I just don't want to be responsible for declassing my father further.

Where's Orpheus?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: André Rieu.

#2  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Gone.

Got tldr version? Recommended. I will show you how: It does not matter if André Rieu is artist or a twat.

Your .. how to say this .. intent is misguided. If you do not respect your dad, his opinions, believes or taste, you do not respect him as person equal to you. He does not have to live up to your expectations and standards and the other way around. What gives you this ground is beyond me but I would guess he would not appreciate it.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Mar 17, 2017 6:41 pm

God you're way too serious.

Next.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm

God I am me, honest. We are in music btw.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby BlackBart » Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm

He seems to have moved into the void vacated by James Last. If there was a void.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Animavore wrote:Not that any of this sounds out of sync with the schmaltz my dad listens to. I just don't want to be responsible for declassing my father further.

Schmaltz is schmaltz :dunno:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby mindhack » Mar 17, 2017 8:57 pm

I like Rieu, as a person and showman. He's foremost an entertainer,but he's also a nice person imo.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#8  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Music .. quality of music. lol and I am way too serious. Well, maybe your ideas are way too idiotic in the first place. Ideas that music quality can be measured rigorously. But but .. oh yeah gimme. You got nothing but your useless opinion about declassing.

But but ... I spent 10 mins writing my post ... whatever .. cool story.
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Mmm, salty!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Critical but you SafeAsMilk can all it anything you want and there is nothing I can do about it.

Salty, is opinion that someone thinks that musics can be art or twat. Its fucking idiotic ignorant uneducated and unskeptical primitive opinion.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby Blackadder » Mar 17, 2017 9:39 pm

My in-laws are massive Rieu fans.

He smells of very old cheese and I feel vomit emerging into my mouth whenever I see him on TV - and I LOVE classical music.

That's two strikes.

Number three. Some may describe his personal dress sense as "flamboyant". Others may decribe it as fucking strange. And the "Southern Belle" outfits on his female singers is just a creepy thing.

It's all about personal taste. Mine is screaming at me to stick needles in my eyeballs rather than suffer watching this oleaginous fiddler.

So I'm with you, Ani.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Yeah so that is what this thread is about. Not about music but about who is with who. wtf ... oh, <insert number> of people on the internet told me they are with me thus I am right. wow gj! Your life is validated.
Last edited by tuco on Mar 17, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 17, 2017 9:42 pm

tuco wrote:Critical but you SafeAsMilk can all it anything you want and there is nothing I can do about it.

Salty, is opinion that someone thinks that musics can be art or twat. Its fucking idiotic ignorant uneducated and unskeptical primitive opinion.

Way, way too seriously.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Blackadder » Mar 17, 2017 9:43 pm

tuco wrote:Yeah so that is what this thread is about. Not about music but about who is with who. wtf ...

Who said it's about music? It's about Andre Rieu.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Board index ‹ General Topics ‹ The Arts & Entertainment ‹ Music

André Rieu

Now we will bicker.

I got tuco because he said <insert whatever> ... gj! That is fucking achievement.
tuco

Print view this post

#16  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 9:46 pm

sorry double
tuco

Print view this post

#17  Postby Blackadder » Mar 17, 2017 9:52 pm

tuco wrote:Board index ‹ General Topics ‹ The Arts & Entertainment ‹ Music

André Rieu

Now we will bicker.

I got tuco because he said <insert whatever> ... gj! That is fucking achievement.

The sub-category is what it is. This topic is about Andre Rieu and people's opinions of him. I gave mine. You appear only to want to argue about Ani's relationship with his dad. As such, that is your opinion on something other than music. So which of us is off topic?

Once again, you seem to think you are the police who gets to decide how people respond to someone else's post. Think again.
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Look, somebody has to buy all those Yanni Live At The Acropolis tapes.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby tuco » Mar 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Blackadder wrote:

André Rieu

Now we will bicker.

The sub-category is what it is. This topic is about Andre Rieu and people's opinions of him. I gave mine. You appear only to want to argue about Ani's relationship with his dad. As such, that is your opinion on something other than music. So which of us is off topic?

Once again, you seem to think you are the police who gets to decide how people respond to someone else's post. Think again.

Well, if that is the impression I signal, I will. At the same time I have not seen you to post anything relevant about music.
tuco

Print view this post

#20  Postby Blackadder » Mar 17, 2017 9:55 pm

tuco wrote:
Blackadder wrote:

André Rieu

Now we will bicker.

Well, if that is the impression I signal, I will.

Fair enough. That's your right. So expect to be criticised for it. That's my right.
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Music