Favorite music / What's playing? (2)

Discuss music related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Favorite music / What's playing? (2)

#4781  Postby arugula2 » Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Fallible wrote:I was watching a programme recently about the hip hop choreographer Kate Prince, as I am a one for hip hop. Well, of course this was played. As soon as I heard the first ‘intergalactic planetary’, that was it. I was off on a Beastie Boys jaunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g

Best of the comments - ‘Played this to my ten year old daughter she said it was terrible she’s now doing well with her foster family’.

I keep forgetting to mention... Apple TV has the Spike Jonze docu about them... halfway through it, pretty good.

arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4782  Postby Fallible » Sep 16, 2020 9:19 pm

:cheers:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4783  Postby Evolving » Sep 17, 2020 7:33 am

I’m listening to « Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton » (John Mayall). I’ve never heard this before. I know it highlights my ignorance, but I’m astonished that something so good came out in 1966.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#4784  Postby Hermit » Sep 17, 2020 8:46 am

Evolving wrote:I’m listening to « Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton » (John Mayall). I’ve never heard this before. I know it highlights my ignorance, but I’m astonished that something so good came out in 1966.

Hah. You've struck the mother lode there. John Mayall, aka the godfather of British Blues, has released about three dozen studio albums and about as many live recordings. The ever changing lineup of his band includes not only Eric Clapton, but many other legends of Blues and Rock 'n Roll, Mick Taylor, Mick Fleetwood, Jack Bruce, Peter Green and Patti Smith being some of the one's you may have heard of.

What's more, a lot of their recordings, including entire albums, are available on Youtube. I was happy to have come across one, titled "No more Interviews"* It has never been released on CD and my vinyl disc has become a bit worse for wear when some not-so-bright spark shone his laser pointer on it while my cat was in one of her hunting moods.

Here's a 2008 live recording of "So many roads" with Gary Moore:

*Bugger. No longer there (though at least one track from it still is.) Just as well I downloaded the album before it was removed from Youtube.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#4785  Postby Evolving » Sep 17, 2020 10:52 am

« No more interviews «  isn’t on Apple Music either, though several others are, and I’ll give them a go in due course.

I’m a bit disappointed with Apple Music, actually, and I’ll probably cancel my subscription and try something else instead. I mainly listen to classical music, and Apple is rather pathetic for that.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#4786  Postby Hermit » Sep 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Evolving wrote:« No more interviews «  isn’t on Apple Music either, though several others are, and I’ll give them a go in due course.

I’m a bit disappointed with Apple Music, actually, and I’ll probably cancel my subscription and try something else instead. I mainly listen to classical music, and Apple is rather pathetic for that.

Why bother with subscriptions at all when you can get the music you like listening to for free? Youtube has become a veritable treasure trove, especially when it comes to performances of music composed in the period between, say, Hildegard von Bingen and Philip Glass.

You can download the stuff using a number of utilities and store it in a device of your choice for playback at your leisure. My currently favourite tool is Youtube-dl, which will do the job on hundreds of other sites besides Youtube. You can also make it download the sound tracks without the video if that's what you want. While Youtube-dl is a command line program you can find graphical user interface overlays for Microsoft, Apple and Linux operating systems, but it is easy enough to use without them.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4787  Postby Evolving » Sep 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Hermit wrote:While Youtube-dl is a command line program you can find graphical user interface overlays for Microsoft, Apple and Linux operating systems...

I’m sure that means something. :)
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#4788  Postby arugula2 » Sep 17, 2020 3:14 pm

ClipGrab works too, most of the time.

Hermit's saying you should bypass the so-called streaming services & just rip your favorite tunes directly from youtube. ^_^ It's what us heathens do.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4789  Postby Hermit » Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Evolving wrote:
Hermit wrote:While Youtube-dl is a command line program you can find graphical user interface overlays for Microsoft, Apple and Linux operating systems...

I’m sure that means something. :)

"Command line" just means that instead of clicking on buttons you type commands in to make a program do what you want it to do. Initially this looks intimidating, like so, for instance:

Youtube-dl command line prompt.png
Youtube-dl command line prompt.png (10.79 KiB) Viewed 193 times

but this one is really easy to use. All I did here is to open the command prompt (this is how you do it in a Mac), navigate to the folder I downloaded the youtube-dl program in (in my case it involved typing "cd downloads\youtube-dl" and hitting the "Enter" key), starting the download program by typing "download-dl", followed by hitting the space bar once, then pasting the link of the thing to be downloaded (this one was "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHNLdHe8uxY") and finally hitting the "Enter" key again. Youtube-dl then does what it is told, which is to download Xaver Varnus playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor on the great Sauer Organ of the Berliner Dom in 2013. This one:

It defaults to downloading the clip to the folder where your Youtube-dl program is installed. You then move the file to wherever you want to. You can also download the sound track only if that is what you want. It's all pretty simple.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4790  Postby arugula2 » Sep 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Evolving, if you happen to rely on an iPhone or iPad & have tended to use the Music app... if you do break free from the subscription thingy, I recommend you break free from the Music app also, since it limits how you load music to your device. I always recommend VLC, which lets you migrate songs to and fro easily, including over wifi. I’ll post a quick step-by-step with screenshots if it’s something you’re curious about.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4791  Postby Evolving » Sep 17, 2020 6:23 pm

That would be most useful. I have iTunes (now Apple Music) on my iPhone and my Mac, and have also uploaded numerous CDs to my Mac (but I don’t know how to get them on to my phone).

I used to have an iPad, but it was a bit out of date when I bought it on offer in 2011, and it doesn’t work any more.

My daughter has a premium subscription to YouTube, and I’m tempted to get one too, but it’s quite expensive.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#4792  Postby Fallible » Sep 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Air drop?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4793  Postby aufbahrung » Sep 17, 2020 9:57 pm

Anyone else on lastfm here? I'm lonely in cyberspace. Not gonna bombard you with doom-laden music, nice to have some vague company online and definite inspiration for new music when folks are isolating from the virus...it's so dead everywhere these days. You can always block me if I irritate you...

https://www.last.fm/user/Mocatta
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4794  Postby arugula2 » Sep 17, 2020 10:27 pm

Currently in a conference call, but I've lined up all the screenshots (I think), and I'm going to type up my strategy in a way that hopefully doesn't make you pull your hair out. :)
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4795  Postby felltoearth » Sep 17, 2020 11:15 pm

Fallible wrote:Air drop?

An Apple thing. Just a secure way to send files from one device to another.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

VLC app, tags 'n stuff...

#4796  Postby arugula2 » Sep 18, 2020 2:30 am

*This assumes your iPhone is no more than six years old... lemme know if it isn't.*

So, Evolving, my Luxembourgian friend... Mostly VLC app, but there are also some details about organizing, which I find useful. Ignore whatever seems irrelevant. Under each header, I describe what it's about, to make it easier to skip if it's irrelevant. :)

I use Windows, you use Mac, but the basic strategy should be the same...

iTunes library settings
When you ripped a bunch of CD's, whatever program you used (iTunes on Mac?) probably organized all the music files automatically, by artist, album, etc. This section makes sure if you ever add/edit music in iTunes (on your computer) in the future, 1) it organizes the files properly whenever you edit them; and 2) it actually copies the music to your library.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
In 'Edit' --> 'Preferences...' --> 'Advanced' tab, check the first 2 boxes.

AAC --> MP3 in iTunes
This makes sure your iTunes computer program isn't saving music in AAC instead of MP3 format. AAC is fine, as VLC can handle AAC files, but to avoid future confusion, you might want to change the setting to MP3. Click spoiler tag to see how. Otherwise ignore.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Click 'Edit'...

Click 'Preferences...'
In the 'General' tab, click 'Import Settings...'

If you see 'AAC Encoder' at the top, change to 'MP3 encoder'

Iirc, that's all the useful settings in iTunes. iTunes (on Mac/PC) is a decent program for organizing music & I still sometimes use it for batches of files. If you didn't use/ won't be using iTunes (on Mac) for anything, then ignore the above, of course.

Once you've installed VLC app on iPhone...
There's a variety of ways to copy files from your Mac to the VLC app. Most straightforward is over WiFi. As Fallible mentioned, you can probably use AirDrop to dump songs directly into your iPhone's File app, and from there move the songs to the VLC folder (VLC will automatically create a folder in the Files app)... but this way is more direct... unless AirDrop also shows you all the folders in your iPhone's Files app, in which case it's just as direct. Anyway, in the VLC app, in the 'Network' tab, the 'Sharing via WiFi' button is greyed out if you're not on WiFi:
[Reveal] Spoiler: not connected...

Once you're on WiFi, click it to turn sharing on:
[Reveal] Spoiler: VLC app is ready to share...

You'll see the address of your device now, maybe something like 10.0.0.xx (see image above). Open a browser on your computer, and type that address, press Enter. If you're on the same WiFi network, your iPhone's VLC app is now a container ready to receive files through your computer's browser:
[Reveal] Spoiler: computer is ready to share

The top half is where you dump files from your computer to the VLC app. You can drag files from any folder, or even from iTunes on your Mac. The bottom half is where you download files from the VLC app to your computer. (You can dump any file type to the app, not just audio & video... This is one way to quickly add subtitles for a movie that's missing them... ask me sometime if that interests you.)

I dragged an album into VLC app on iPhone, and then a random song...
Tags help with organization. The random song ("13th century metal") didn't have properly edited tags - the album did. This is what happened:
[Reveal] Spoiler: in Artist view...
(Ignore the first item... that's my alarm music. It was already there.)
The second item is the random song I added, without editing its tags. VLC doesn't know how to categorize it.
The third item is the album, with properly edited tags.

[Reveal] Spoiler: in Album view...
In 'Album' view, the random song doesn't even show up, because VLC doesn't detect album or artist info.

[Reveal] Spoiler: in Song view...
Everything shows up in 'Song' view, because at least VLC has the file name itself.

Your computer's file system can edit tags... (This may no longer apply... haven't tried this on a Mac in years)
Songs you ripped from CD's should already be organized pretty well. These next couple sections are for new downloads (not from CD's). Mac and Windows windows look slightly different, but not much. Here's me editing tags in Windows. All the files are together in a folder, and then...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Highlight all the files in the would-be album...

Right-click or Command-click, then choose 'Get Info' (on Windows it's 'Properties')...
In a certain tab, you should see various fields, such as 'Album', 'Album Artist', etc.
When editing multiple files at once, DO NOT edit the 'Title' field, or it will make all song titles identical.
(Do this process individually with each file to check/edit song titles.)
As long as every file has the same album name and same album-artist name, your media player will organize the songs correctly when you've dumped them in.

I like to ignore album names, and just put artist name for both. I deliberately omit/remove Track#. So all my albums consist of every song by that artist, in alphabetical order. It's unorthodox, but it keeps things simple. When I want to add album detail to a particular track (e.g. Live in Madison Square Garden) I prefer to add it to the individual track title.

This system lets me remove all the songs I don't particularly like, and my 'albums' don't end up looking hodgepodge.

You would do all the necessary editing before dumping the files into VLC app, to avoid the potential chaos implied in the previous section. If you can't directly edit this stuff in your Mac's file system, use a media player (next section)...

Any (computer) media player can edit tags, and it'll look similar...
For example VLC for Mac <--(click link). But to use iTunes (on Mac) instead, first check the beginning two sections above (library settings & MP3 setting). To edit multiple tags, highlight the tracks in iTunes (Ctrl-click if they're listed non-sequentially), and then...
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Right-click or Command-click, then click 'Get Info'...
You'll see fields. It's pretty intuitive. Again, my own preference is to keep album/artist/album-artist fields the same for simplicity, and to avoid/delete Track#.

In the 'Artwork' tab, you can drag whatever image you like...

To replace an image, I would first delete whatever images are there (click image, hit Delete button), before adding a new one.

Whatever player you use should rely on 'Album Artist' to organize by "artist". You can still decide afterwards to change 'Artist' for each track where you think it needs changing, for example if some tracks feature a collaboration with other artists. So the "album" will reflect 'Album Artist', and each song will still show whatever other artist(s) you added to the track. Keeps things neat. Also, iTunes still has some trouble applying album art, so it may not show up properly in VLC. Such is life.
Official demo if you prefer to use VLC (on computer) for this: How to View and Edit ID3 Audio Tags Using VLC

Re: videos...
Drag-n-drop works the same for videos. Organizing videos in the VLC app is much like the folder system on the computer. You can long-press a video thumbnail and then specify what folder to put it in, or create a new folder to put it in. In the latest version of the app, VLC calls folders "media groups". That's distinct from "playlists", which is just playlists. You can add individual songs to playlists too, but you can't regroup them (i.e., "move" them) like with video files - though you can certainly delete songs, of course, or move them out of VLC from within the Files app. More on video files & subtitles if you're curious, anytime.

Hopefully this didn't make your eyes swim. ;)
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

ClipGrab

#4797  Postby arugula2 » Sep 18, 2020 4:34 am

There are many ways to extract audio or audio+video from youtube - I use ClipGrab. (Mac link).

You can copy the address of the song... like the copyright-free song below ;)

Paste it into ClipGrab (1.)... wait a second for the title to show up in the blue region (2.)... choose format (audio or video) and quality if you want video (3.). Press Enter or click the 'Grab this clip' button.

Alternately, switch to the 'Search' tab & do a search instead. It's not great, but it's sometimes adequate.

It should prompt you before downloading, and you can change the file name to whatever you want, and also the location. You can set the default download location in the 'Settings' tab. Once the download is complete, you can right-click the item & click 'Open target folder' to find it quickly. From there you can edit it further (tags).

arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4798  Postby Evolving » Sep 18, 2020 5:07 am

Awesome, arugula2. I’ll have a go at it today or at the weekend.

Thank you very much!
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#4799  Postby arugula2 » Sep 18, 2020 5:21 am

Pester me if you get annoyed with something - I'm happy to figure it out with you.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4800  Postby Evolving » Sep 18, 2020 5:34 am

felltoearth wrote:
Fallible wrote:Air drop?

An Apple thing. Just a secure way to send files from one device to another.

I think Fall was suggesting how I could transfer my uploaded CDs to my phone.

That would probably work. I’ll ask my daughter to help...
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Music