Justin Bieber tragedy

More sad news

Discuss music related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Justin Bieber tragedy

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 01, 2016 11:39 am

From my British point of view at the time they were a PR stunt. That they actually produced half decent songs was a bonus.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#42  Postby crank » May 01, 2016 11:54 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:From my British point of view ...

Of course, that really says a lot, pretty much says it all actually. :whistle:
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 01, 2016 12:01 pm

crank wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:From my British point of view ...

Of course, that really says a lot, pretty much says it all actually. :whistle:

Well it was viewed as a direct assault on the British pop world that was dominating the world at the time.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby crank » May 01, 2016 12:59 pm

You Brits, it's always about you, innit?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 01, 2016 3:42 pm

crank wrote:You Brits, it's always about you, innit?

In the '60's it definitely was. Finally turning back American influence on our society and enjoying ourselves.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Oldskeptic » May 02, 2016 12:57 am

The first album I ever owned was Meet the Monkees, I thought they were the greatest band ever. I was nine and also liked to make fart noises in public by cupping my hand in an armpit.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby crank » May 02, 2016 1:56 am

My first records were Puff the Magic Dragon, age about 5, it was a 45, and [i]The Beatles[/i], the one with I Want to Hold Your Hand. All before The Monkees, which I also had, and about the same time the 45 of Me and Bobby McGee. I still like them all, a lot. The farting thing, that just wasn't me, not back then, I only started that fairly recently.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#48  Postby felltoearth » May 02, 2016 2:12 am

I clicked on this thread fearing the worst and unfortunately got it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 02, 2016 9:34 am

crank wrote:My first records were Puff the Magic Dragon, age about 5, it was a 45, and [i]The Beatles[/i], the one with I Want to Hold Your Hand. All before The Monkees, which I also had, and about the same time the 45 of Me and Bobby McGee. I still like them all, a lot. The farting thing, that just wasn't me, not back then, I only started that fairly recently.

Cant remember my first record as I bought so many then. I was 12/13 and into music big way and having my own income (I started work at 10 years totally illegal) I spent a lot on records. Standard Saturday morning was down to the record shop to listen to all the latest records.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#50  Postby crank » May 03, 2016 2:03 pm

The records I'm talking about were bought by my parents obviously, I wasn't working in the cotton fields at 5 or so when I had the first two. What the hell were you working at 10 for? That's awfully damn young. Did it involve anything loud? That might be the cause or some of the cause for your hearing issues. 10 was about my age when both The Monkees and Joplin records came out.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#51  Postby The_Piper » May 03, 2016 3:54 pm

I loved The Monkees and Sha Na Na tv programs.
I can't remember for sure what my very first album was. Perhaps Saturday, Saturday Night by Zoom. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 03, 2016 3:57 pm

crank wrote:The records I'm talking about were bought by my parents obviously, I wasn't working in the cotton fields at 5 or so when I had the first two. What the hell were you working at 10 for? That's awfully damn young. Did it involve anything loud? That might be the cause or some of the cause for your hearing issues. 10 was about my age when both The Monkees and Joplin records came out.

Had my first paper round at 10. A small one and just filling in. It works totally different as in America I believe. No it was very quiet first thing in the morning in a very residential area. I started seriously at 12 and did two rounds every morning. There were no other real jobs available back then for kids.

I know what the cause of my tinnitus is thanks.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#53  Postby The_Piper » May 03, 2016 4:16 pm

I had a paper route at age 12. My customers were really cheap bastards man. It was a lot of pedaling for like, $1.78 a day.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 03, 2016 4:34 pm

The_Piper wrote:I had a paper route at age 12. My customers were really cheap bastards man. It was a lot of pedaling for like, $1.78 a day.

I think the American system was more like the Dutch one where you worked for one newspaper? We worked from a newsagents where you delivered all the different news papers and magazines. It gave you plenty to read in the days long before internet was ever dreamed of. 8-) We just walked and we had to deliver into the letterbox. My Sunday paper job was a different kettle of fish altogether. I earned in total about 10 pound a week which in those days was an adult wage.

At xmas I could turn as much as 20 pound. I kept it all as my parents never found out how much I actually earned. I was smoking 40 of these things a day:

Which were not cheap.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#55  Postby The_Piper » May 03, 2016 5:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I had a paper route at age 12. My customers were really cheap bastards man. It was a lot of pedaling for like, $1.78 a day.

I think the American system was more like the Dutch one where you worked for one newspaper? We worked from a newsagents where you delivered all the different news papers and magazines. It gave you plenty to read in the days long before internet was ever dreamed of. 8-) We just walked and we had to deliver into the letterbox. My Sunday paper job was a different kettle of fish altogether. I earned in total about 10 pound a week which in those days was an adult wage.

At xmas I could turn as much as 20 pound. I kept it all as my parents never found out how much I actually earned. I was smoking 40 of these things a day:

Which were not cheap.

I worked for a newspaper company, probably the actual paper, but I don't remember. I went to a garage in the morning where they gave me the stack of papers to deliver. They didn't pay me any money, my income was the tips. Most people didn't give one. :nono:
I didn't have to use a bike, but it made it a lot faster so I did.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Oldskeptic » May 10, 2016 6:24 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
crank wrote:The records I'm talking about were bought by my parents obviously, I wasn't working in the cotton fields at 5 or so when I had the first two. What the hell were you working at 10 for? That's awfully damn young. Did it involve anything loud? That might be the cause or some of the cause for your hearing issues. 10 was about my age when both The Monkees and Joplin records came out.

Had my first paper round at 10. A small one and just filling in.

Fucking slacker I was thinning acres of beets on the farm when I was five or six and was driving the tractor plowing and towing the cutter and baler through the hay fields by 12.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 10, 2016 8:01 am

Scar wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:Didn't even know who he is, had to google him. How'd the little fucker get $200 million?

He is (was) cute and a passable singer.

Do you think he was cute? I think he's becoming more attractive and might qualify as cute at 40. Not sure. His lips are enormous. I've had lip injections and couldn't compete.

He's also growing into his voice and does not sound bad live, which is more than a lot of performing musicians can say. His music is, overwhelmingly, just terrible but I don't consider the Bieb talentless. Insufferable dickbrain? Probably. He's an OK little singer though and his recent stuff is really intelligently composed such that it appeals to a wider audience than anything he did before. It isn't great but it's slick. Not, "What Do You Mean?" but the other two. I just wish he pronounced "sorry" like a Canadian in the song, "Sorry".

My mom said she wanted to bitchsap him when he came on the radio in the car the other day though. He's yet to win her over.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Music