Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Protest Music of the Bush Era

#2  Postby Macdoc » Jun 15, 2020 12:44 pm

Which Bush?
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Jun 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Watch and find out.
Or just look at the picture.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Jun 15, 2020 1:07 pm

I was trying hard to find the point of this one. I don’t know whether she was trying to simply point out the dearth of protest songs or the reason for it. If the latter I think she’s done a poor job on this one, especially as she pretty much just skips from the 60s and 70s to the aughts and takes a jab at GenX as she passes by. It’s clear that her understanding of past protest music is gleaned essentially from movies as GenX had little impact on Hollywood and mainstream culture at large. Skipping LiveAid/Band Aid, USA for Africa and Artists Against Apartheid is a huge oversight and would give her a good clue why protest songs died during that period.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Jun 15, 2020 1:15 pm

I found it one of her weaker ones too. There doesn't seem to be much explanation as to why protest music died out, only a confirmation that it has. She seems to imply that it's because protest music started becoming economically unviable and suggests after the Dixi Chicks artists became afraid of rocking the boat, but that doesn't really explain why we have no resurgance of protest songs now at a time when the US under attack from its own government more than ever before. The idea of it being economically unviable doesn't really cut it at a time when comedians are arguably making bank off of this administration. And you can't say that being critical of this government harms artists' sales when artists like Pink, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga are openly critical of the government on Twitter without any major backlash, from anyone who matters anyway, while seemingly not making political songs.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Not a single mention of Rage Against The Machine, if you want to get a sense of the gaping holes in this video.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Jun 15, 2020 2:46 pm

And the rather in-passing, almost dismissive attitude toward System of a Down and implying some sort of hypocrisy because the drummer has said pro-Trump things as if he was ever the voice of a the band, a band that is defunct anyway.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Animavore » Jun 15, 2020 2:56 pm

I think, actually, this video is a good example of someone stepping outside their chosen field.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby felltoearth » Jun 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Animavore wrote:I think, actually, this video is a good example of someone stepping outside their chosen field.

Yep
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Music