Who are your heroes?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Who are your heroes?

#1  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Which people would you say are a hero to you? Why is that so?

My heroes are my parents. I realise that this is probably the stock standard answer, but it is no less true in my case. They have both always been completely supportive of whatever endeavours I have undertaken and are the reason that I have fostered a love for learning throughout my life.

I'm sure many of you will have far more interesting answers.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Who are your heroes?

#2  Postby Banzai! » Mar 09, 2010 1:44 pm

this man is my football idol

shows my age but what a player
Banzai!

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby trubble76 » Mar 09, 2010 1:48 pm

David Attenborough (i will keep pushing it until you all see the error of you ways and fall to your knees in the humble worship of the Great Attenborough :P )

And Dr Greg House (don't you dare tell me he isn't real, there is a lot of good evidence for his existence :grin: )
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby natselrox » Mar 09, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm with you there, CG. My parents are absolute role-models for me. My mom was the one who introduced me to science and is still my Physics teacher. And my dad's always been the inspiration behind my choice of career and most of the ideals I hold dear in my life.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby natselrox » Mar 09, 2010 2:41 pm

The only girl I ever fell in love with. She's the one who made me realise that I'm still a human. Are you listening, dear? I love you. :cry:

Dawkins, Dylan, My best friend, Jim Watson, Sachin...

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 09, 2010 2:56 pm

haha, Sachin.

I have a few sporting heroes, but I wouldn't classify them in the same way that I would my parents. Those in question being Geoge Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Laurie Daley, Adam Gilchrist, and Steve Waugh.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby crank » Mar 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Madalyn Murray O'Hair--she was a cunt, but the job required one, then it all went to pieces
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby devogue » Mar 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Ian Rush
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#10  Postby natselrox » Mar 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote: Adam Gilchrist

Gilly is great! Unlike the rest of the Aussie fuckers, he's an honest bloke. :grin:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#11  Postby z8000783 » Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

RICHARD FEYNMAN, a man who never had time for Bullshit.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby natselrox » Mar 09, 2010 5:13 pm

z8000783 wrote:Image

RICHARD FEYNMAN, a man who never had time for Bullshit.

John

He had time for a lot of things other than science. ;)

But he's one of my heroes as well. Feynman lectures were my first love in Physics.

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#13  Postby thomasac13 » Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Stephen Hawking, Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, Richard Leakey, Matt Ridley, Albert Einstein, Gerry van Klinken, Herman Setiady (my uncle), Descartes, Spinoza, etc...
thomasac13

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#14  Postby lordshipmayhem » Mar 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Firefighters. Dad was a firefighter. They save lives, and sometimes lose theirs.

Teach your kids, if they have any problem, any problem at all, run to a firefighter. He or she will move heaven and Earth to help you.
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby natselrox » Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm

lordshipmayhem wrote:Teach your kids, if they have any problem, any problem at all, run to a firefighter. He or she will move heaven and Earth to help you.

Really? That sounds so sweet. :)

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Melhael » Mar 10, 2010 12:00 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Which people would you say are a hero to you? Why is that so?

As far as fictional characters are concerned, the list would be too long (but the Doctor is highest on the list ATM, followed by Captain Jack Harkness). :grin:

My real-world heroes are... well, there are many of them too. But right now, the first who spring to my mind are those lovely ladies I saw on TV the other day. There was this documentary about the RAF and they interviewed some women who had taken part in the Battle of Britain (Waafs and ATA pilots). They were so brave: claiming their freedom to face both the greatest enemy their country had ever faced... and the men of Britain as well (who weren't too happy about that at first).

Drag-queens, trannies and the first gay people to fight for our rights are high on my list too (those who fought the police during the Stonewall riots, for instance). As well as that group of black lesbians in South Africa, about whom I read the other day: they created a soccer team and want to take on the Olympics or something. They were kicked out by their families, got beaten and insulted... but they stick together and they make something of their lives.

I find all those people and many others to be really inspiring. Sometimes I have doubts about the worth of the Human race. Then I think about all of them and get reminded how fantastic we are. Mostly. ;)

lordshipmayhem wrote:Firefighters.

I agree. They are underpaid... sometimes they aren't even paid at all: but they rush to save lives. They are fantastic. :thumbup:
Happiness is not a state; it's the process through which we better ourselves.

ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/
Melhael

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby xsmooth_criminalx » Mar 10, 2010 3:38 am

He's my hero because he was one of the only celebrities who really did care about the condition this world is in. I don't care what people say about him, he was a good person and this is all that matters.

Other than Michael, however, some of my heroes include: Richard Dawkins, Voltaire and Alexander Hamilton. :)
You've been HIT by, you've been STRUCK by, a Smooth Criminal~
xsmooth_criminalx

Name: Christelle
Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#18  Postby XiledSpawn » Mar 10, 2010 11:18 am

Optimus Prime. :iloveyou:
"Until that day, that all are one" ~ Optimus Prime

Everybody equal, everybody loved!
XiledSpawn
RS Donator

Name: Michael Smith
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Alnilam » Mar 10, 2010 11:28 am

The boss..

He may be overly posh and a christian, but still, legend.

angelo wrote:The words of Enoch Powell will come to haunt Western society.

:insane:
Alnilam
RS Donator

Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Mar 10, 2010 11:39 am

Attenborough again. Nietzsche, Larry Flynt, Howard Hughes, Henri Charrière, George Orwell, Carl Sagan, John Pilger, Gandhi, Michael Collins, Lars Von Trier, Roald Dahl, Salvador Dali, Picasso, Darwin and H R Giger.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion