A new person has appeared

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

A new person has appeared

#1  Postby Deremensis » Mar 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Rational Skepticism,

My name is Sean. A few details about me - I'm twenty years old, male, and I live in Florida. I'm attending college currently, pursuing mathematics and biology. I'm particularly interested in mathematical modeling, especially in a biological context, and in population dynamics.

I came to Rational Skepticism through another forum. I've been bored of some other forums I used to use that pretty much died, and I've been trying to branch out. Where I go to college, I don't have many opportunities for in-depth discussion, so I've mostly just been looking for a place for that kind of thing, and this seems like the right kind of place.

Hope to see you guys in the forum. Have a good day! :)
Deremensis

Name: Sean Carter
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: A new person has appeared

#2  Postby campermon » Mar 03, 2014 9:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Sean!

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby james1v » Mar 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi! :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mazille » Mar 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Ullo! :cheers:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DougC » Mar 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi from sunny Surrey. Apart from the weather, architectture, culture and the beaches we could almost be twined with you. :cheers:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 03, 2014 11:36 pm

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the place.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby hackenslash » Mar 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Ah, a potential new R.A. Fisher! Welcome. :cheers:

You will be especially interested in the posts of susu.exp, whose posts in your area of interest have always been highly illuminating to me.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby theropod » Mar 04, 2014 12:29 am

Welcome aboard! (Hack's right about susu.exp's posts, great stuff).

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)

Birthday
Print view this post

#9  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 04, 2014 12:53 am

Hello Sean. Welcome and enjoy!
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#10  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 04, 2014 4:03 am

Deremensis wrote:Hi Rational Skepticism,

My name is Sean. A few details about me - I'm twenty years old, male, and I live in Florida. I'm attending college currently, pursuing mathematics and biology. I'm particularly interested in mathematical modeling, especially in a biological context, and in population dynamics.

Nice! In which case, you can help some of the forum members understand these topics in more detail! A very welcome addition to the arsenal!

Deremensis wrote:I came to Rational Skepticism through another forum. I've been bored of some other forums I used to use that pretty much died, and I've been trying to branch out. Where I go to college, I don't have many opportunities for in-depth discussion, so I've mostly just been looking for a place for that kind of thing, and this seems like the right kind of place.

Oh, I think you'll enjoy it a lot here with your background. Don't forget to have a browse at the past posts of certain esteemed individuals here. As others have already mentioned susu.exp, allow me to put in a word for the following in addition, no order of preference implied I might add:

GenesForLife (GfL for short)
Hackenslash
Thomas Eshuis
Rumraket
ADParker
Shrunk
theropod
MrFungus420
Pelfdaddy
Spearthrower
Blackadder
Fenrir
Weaver
ramseyoptom
Halucigenia
Nicko
Oldskeptic
Greyman
trubble76

This list, I hasten to add, is by no means complete. :)

If you want entertainment of a particularly perverse sort, just find any post originating from a creationist. :mrgreen:

Deremensis wrote:Hope to see you guys in the forum. Have a good day! :)

If you're bringing an understanding of mathematical modelling in biology to the forum, that's a given. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 04, 2014 10:13 am

Gidday! :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Scarlett » Mar 04, 2014 11:21 am

Calilasseia wrote:

If you want entertainment of a particularly perverse sort, ........

Phew Cali, I thought you were going to say my name :oops:

Hello n00b :wave:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Deremensis » Mar 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
Deremensis wrote:Hi Rational Skepticism,

Nice! In which case, you can help some of the forum members understand these topics in more detail! A very welcome addition to the arsenal!

Deremensis wrote:I came to Rational Skepticism through another forum. I've been bored of some other forums I used to use that pretty much died, and I've been trying to branch out. Where I go to college, I don't have many opportunities for in-depth discussion, so I've mostly just been looking for a place for that kind of thing, and this seems like the right kind of place.

Oh, I think you'll enjoy it a lot here with your background. Don't forget to have a browse at the past posts of certain esteemed individuals here. As others have already mentioned susu.exp, allow me to put in a word for the following in addition, no order of preference implied I might add:

GenesForLife (GfL for short)
Hackenslash
Thomas Eshuis
Rumraket
ADParker
Shrunk
theropod
MrFungus420
Pelfdaddy
Spearthrower
Blackadder
Fenrir
Weaver
ramseyoptom
Halucigenia
Nicko
Oldskeptic
Greyman
trubble76

This list, I hasten to add, is by no means complete. :)

If you want entertainment of a particularly perverse sort, just find any post originating from a creationist. :mrgreen:

Deremensis wrote:Hope to see you guys in the forum. Have a good day! :)

If you're bringing an understanding of mathematical modelling in biology to the forum, that's a given. :)

Now I'm almost scared, with what I have to live up to. :P Only a lowly undergrad am I. I'm gonna have to reference my textbooks every time I make a post from now on, just to be sure I don't embarrass myself with all of the people here who might be able to correct me, lol
Deremensis

Name: Sean Carter
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mazille » Mar 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Or you do it like me and make being wrong and embarrassing yourself a lifestyle choice that you proudly wear like a silly hat at a funeral.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Scarlett » Mar 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Yes, he does do that :coffee:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Agrippina » Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Scarlett wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

:rofl: Scarlett. I breathed a sigh of relief as well. I know a little about a few things, one of them is definitely not mathematics. :thumbup:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#17  Postby hackenslash » Mar 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Deremensis wrote:Now I'm almost scared, with what I have to live up to. :P Only a lowly undergrad am I. I'm gonna have to reference my textbooks every time I make a post from now on, just to be sure I don't embarrass myself with all of the people here who might be able to correct me, lol

Don't be scared or embarrassed. The simple fact is that we learn far more from our mistakes. You can learn a great deal here, but you'll learn more when you get it wrong than when you get it right. All of us have been corrected here at some point, and that's good, because it leads to greater understanding.

One of the beauties of a place like this, as opposed to text books, is that you can really test your understanding. A text book can't challenge your interpretation of the text, but discussing with others can provide different perspectives on the text, and find different ways of explaining the text to ensure better understanding. I've learned far more in discussion with people on this forum and its predecessor in 6 years than I learned in more than 20 years beforehand reading everything I could get my hands on, and it's precisely because my shortcomings in interpreting the text have been addressed in discussion with people who really know what they're talking about.

Oh, and since nobody else has included him, it should be noted that Calilasseia's posts are a particular feature generally here, and I know of people who don't even post here but who look for his weapons-grade demolitions of bad thinking. I feel honoured to be mentioned in his list above, but he's the real star here, and his presentations of the primary literature in exposing creationist canards for the drivel they are are a sight to behold.

Here's a little taster selection for you, including a couple of notable posts by others:

hackenslash @ Calilasseia: Information in DNA Drivel
http://www.rational-skepticism.org/crea ... tml#p64200
http://www.rational-skepticism.org/crea ... tml#p64201
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... ml#p614376
Paleontology Comments Revisited
Calilasseia @ Frequently Occuring Fallacies
Calilasseia @ Frequently Occuring Fallacies
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... tml#p63910
hackenslash @ Theropod: Early Dinosaur Evolution
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/chemi ... tml#p47054
hackenslash @ Calilasseia: AiG Carbon Dating Drivel Debunked
hackenslash @ Calilasseia: Radiometric Dating is Rigorous
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... tml#p41476
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... ml#p347627
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... ml#p926120

That should give you some idea of the flavour. Enjoy!

Incidentally, if you need access to any papers, shout out. I'm sure you'll have institutional access for pretty much whatever you need, but Cali has an extensive library, and others also have access and/or know where to find useful info for citation purposes.

I have a feeling you're going to find the forum extremely useful in your studies. Best of luck, and again, welcome! :cheers:
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby babel » Mar 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Agrippina wrote:
Scarlett wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

:rofl: Scarlett. I breathed a sigh of relief as well. I know a little about a few things, one of them is definitely not mathematics. :thumbup:

Meaning you DO know a thing or two about perverse entertainment? Hmm... watch out Deremensis. There are cougars on the loose. :?

Welcome to Ratskep! :cheers:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby hackenslash » Mar 04, 2014 1:24 pm

Oh, and I should add, for mathematics generally:

Thommo
Vazscep
Pulsar
Twistor59
Campermon

The latter 3 are physics oriented, while the former 2 are pure mathematics. There are others,of course.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Scarlett » Mar 04, 2014 1:25 pm

FFS, I'm getting offended at NOT getting a mention now :snooty:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members