A question

Good science/bad science

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Re: A question

#141  Postby Macdoc » Jan 31, 2016 10:05 pm

Where is the rodent control when needed :doh:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#142  Postby BartEstes » Feb 01, 2016 6:27 am

BartEstes

Name: Bart Estes

Print view this post

#143  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 01, 2016 9:48 am

campermon wrote:
Currently enjoying a glass of Aussie pinot grigiot while cooking tea.

That must be the French-Italian variety, but I think the French call it 'gris'. You can bring a horticulture...
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#144  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Gareth wrote:Hi, D McC

I'm with you on the speed of light. I've seen several experiments in New Scientist where people have sent information faster than light with ordinary lab equipment..

Eh? :scratch: Are you sure youy've got the right person? I am the only one here who actually asserts that the speed of light is the limit for particle motion. The information experiment to which you refer is misleading, because the "instantaneous" transmission of informaton can only occur over a finite distance after two entangled photons have been allowed to separate, which occurs at a speed less than c.
Any idea how the opsins are preserved/protected? I've had one cataract op, so I'm interested. Seems to me the lens was 'poached' by uv light. I think I remember seeing the flash of sunlight off a car windscreen that did it. I have no evidence to support this however.

In an unrelated thread, I have discussed how photo-oxidative opsin damage is unavoidable for more than a certain light dose to the retina, I'm afraid.
There doesn't seem to be much hard evidence as such for the big bang. It was the Vatican that first proposed that idea, apparently. Plenty of room for other possible explanations, though I haven't come up with any myself.

No, I don't think it was the Vatican that came up with it, it was physicists, noting that the universe is expanding, and therefore must have been smaller in the past. They extrapolated this back to when it was a point, and came up with a date of ~13.7BnYa for the big bang. The Vatican merely jumped on it as a way of claiming that the BB was "god creating the universe"! As an atheist, I found it just amusing, TBH.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#145  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 01, 2016 8:27 pm

... I wonder if you saw a post made by one of the "FTLers" (a gang that harrassed me for some time, last year), in which one of them made a strange remark seeming to portray me as the FTLer, and not them! :roll:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#146  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 01, 2016 9:39 pm

I think, as conspiracy theories go, The FTLers aren't nearly as exciting or as well-evidenced as Chemtrails.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Thommo » Feb 01, 2016 9:46 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:I think, as conspiracy theories go, The FTLers aren't nearly as exciting or as well-evidenced as Chemtrails.

I don't know. They conspired to have mods delete David's posts, and even to deny that they actually believe in FTL in the first place. :ask:

In fact they did such a good job you won't even be able to find anywhere on the forums where "the FTLers" actually say they believe FTL is possible! This went to such extremes that moderators even intervened (I believe) to ask David to stop misrepresenting them!
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#148  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Thommo wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:I think, as conspiracy theories go, The FTLers aren't nearly as exciting or as well-evidenced as Chemtrails.

I don't know. They conspired to have mods delete David's posts, and even to deny that they actually believe in FTL in the first place. :ask:

In fact they did such a good job you won't even be able to find anywhere on the forums where "the FTLers" actually say they believe FTL is possible! This went to such extremes that moderators even intervened (I believe) to ask David to stop misrepresenting them!

So..... You're saying that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence? :ask:
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Thommo » Feb 01, 2016 9:51 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Thommo wrote:

So..... You're saying that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence? :ask:

I think someone is saying that, but with all the conspiracies going on I can't be sure if that someone is me or not. I'll wait for someone else (outside of the FTLer conspiracy) to decide what I think for me.
Thommo

Print view this post

#150  Postby campermon » Feb 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Shhhhhh!

:whistle:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#151  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Feb 01, 2016 9:53 pm

:shifty:
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#152  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Here's a reminder of the thread concerned:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/physics/jpl-s-ftl-project-t41052.html
There was certainly a great deal of defence of Harold White's part in a space rocket project. So much, in fact, that I concluded that there was an overdose here of wide-eyed innocence over him.

By the sound of it,some people haven't got over the fact that White was pretty much the world's worst physicist, and he was probably only allowed to do the initial work with a capacitor circuit because it was cheap, not because it it had any real chance of successfully zooming off across the galaxy at FTL speed!

EDIT: I assume JPL would not have been interested in a misinterpretted interference pattern inside the capacitor, because that isn't propulsion.Nor would it show how FTL propulsion could be achieved.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members