Another ex-lurker here

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#21  Postby TopCat » Jan 13, 2015 8:20 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Looks like we could get along very well, if you were repelled by Michael Behe ... :mrgreen:

Well it's a long story.... let me put it this way, I'm repelled by what he stands for now. I wasn't always so aware of what he and his ilk are up to.

I try not to impute motives, since I know only too well how deeply rooted self-deception can be.
TopCat
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 841
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#22  Postby Weaver » Jan 13, 2015 8:24 pm

campermon wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Run! The school inspector is on site!


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Emmeline is lovely. I wish she could have inspected me... :shifty:

:naughty2: :naughty2:
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 54
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#23  Postby Emmeline » Jan 13, 2015 8:41 pm

campermon wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Run! The school inspector is on site!


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Emmeline is lovely. I wish she could have inspected me... :shifty:


I'm still lovely but I'm retired now, although I'd love to have inspected you (ooh matron!) :lol: but my expertise is in primary education not proper scientists like what you are!

Just to clarify, I only did OfSTED inspections as a small part of my work, which after my own headships was predominantly evaluations, advice and support to school leaders. The most rewarding work is developmental and you don't get much of that as an inspector.

Welcome to the forum TopCat! :cheers:
Emmeline
 
Posts: 10401

Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#24  Postby TopCat » Jan 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Emmeline wrote:Welcome to the forum TopCat! :cheers:

Fanx :smile:

Not sure I'd want all of my teaching techniques inspected by a Guv'mint inspector. I'll tell you about the Learning Tool (TM) sometime...
TopCat
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 841
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#25  Postby Emmeline » Jan 13, 2015 8:57 pm

TopCat wrote:
Emmeline wrote:Welcome to the forum TopCat! :cheers:

Fanx :smile:

Not sure I'd want all of my teaching techniques inspected by a Guv'mint inspector. I'll tell you about the Learning Tool (TM) sometime...


Campers is the expert on teaching science - he runs a department where students make genuinely impressive progress and his staff think he's cool & fab, which he is here too. 8-)
Emmeline
 
Posts: 10401

Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#26  Postby The_Piper » Jan 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Welcome TopCat. :cheers:
Speaking of cats, you can read some of my best work in the LOLcats threads. :tongue:
Just kidding, sort of.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 29555
Age: 47
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#27  Postby campermon » Jan 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Emmeline wrote:
Campers is the expert on teaching science - he runs a department where students make genuinely impressive progress and his staff think he's cool & fab, which he is here too. 8-)


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbup:

I managed to promote myself out of a job - I'm now i/c data / standards for the school and act as advisor for the science department.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 52
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#28  Postby TopCat » Jan 13, 2015 9:37 pm

campermon wrote:I managed to promote myself out of a job - I'm now i/c data / standards for the school and act as advisor for the science department.

Might yet be picking your brains.

My current project is teaching chemistry GCSE to a home-ed student, so whereas with my other tutees over the years it's been a question of fixing the problems acquired at school, now I have nowhere to hide.

I have to plan the lessons myself, set and mark the homework, and do some practicals with her that are interesting enough for her to be motivated to do the book learning, yet not so interesting that it poisons her, lacerates her, or blows up her parents' house.

Top tip: turns out you need a different type of bunsen to get a proper flame with CampingGaz.
Last edited by TopCat on Jan 13, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 841
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#29  Postby Emmeline » Jan 13, 2015 9:42 pm

campermon wrote:
Emmeline wrote:
Campers is the expert on teaching science - he runs a department where students make genuinely impressive progress and his staff think he's cool & fab, which he is here too. 8-)


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbup:

I managed to promote myself out of a job - I'm now i/c data / standards for the school and act as advisor for the science department.

:beer:


Excellent news and well deserved! :cheers:
Emmeline
 
Posts: 10401

Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#30  Postby campermon » Jan 13, 2015 9:43 pm

TopCat wrote:
campermon wrote:I managed to promote myself out of a job - I'm now i/c data / standards for the school and act as advisor for the science department.

Might yet be picking your brains.

My current project is teaching chemistry GCSE to a home-ed student, so whereas with my other tutees over the years it's been a question of fixing the problems acquired at school, now I have nowhere to hide.

I have to plan the lessons myself, set and mark the homework, and do some practicals with her that are interesting enough for her to be motivated to do the book learning, yet not so interesting that it poisons her and/or blows up her parents' house.

Top tip: turns out you need a different type of bunsen to get a proper flame with CampingGaz.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite a challenge!

Give us a shout if you need some resources.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 52
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#31  Postby campermon » Jan 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Emmeline wrote:
campermon wrote:
Emmeline wrote:
Campers is the expert on teaching science - he runs a department where students make genuinely impressive progress and his staff think he's cool & fab, which he is here too. 8-)


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbup:

I managed to promote myself out of a job - I'm now i/c data / standards for the school and act as advisor for the science department.

:beer:


Excellent news and well deserved! :cheers:


:cheers:

I'm not so loved now! I've taken the standards we had in the sci dept (proper, rigorous assessment and recording etc.) to school level i.e. when we collect school wide data, I make sure it is valid. It is amazing how some of the reported grades have dropped in some subjects! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17438
Age: 52
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Another ex-lurker here

#32  Postby TopCat » Jan 13, 2015 10:02 pm

campermon wrote:
Quite a challenge!

Tell me about it!

Give us a shout if you need some resources.

Ok, well I'm using Jim Clark's IGCSE book as the main text, backed up currently with some other revision guide that has some quite decent exam-style questions in it. Jim Clark is the ChemGuide guy, excellent as a 'bare essentials' resource for A Level, explains things pretty well generally.

For practicals I'm mostly making them up (admittedly after much research on YouTube) - so far I've done freezing point depression due to dissolved salt (with graphs, noting the extended period of warming at the melting point due to latent heat of fusion).

Also heating hydrated copper sulphate to drive off the water and hence calculate the number of molecules of water of crystallisation (we did get 5 :smile: ). Can you believe you can get a pretty damn decent electronic scale for seven quid???

Next up will be some acid/base/indicator stuff, a titration and a distillation. I plan to make some dry ice from a fire extinguisher and chuck it into some dilute NaOH solution with some universal indicator, should be fun. Also, once we've distilled some water, I'll get her to grow some crystals in it.

No lectures about safety needed, I hasten to add, trust me, I'm extremely cautious. :cheers: :cheers:

Any other resource ideas will be *very* gratefully received, whether for book learning, practicals, or lab gear suppliers.
TopCat
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 841
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest