Atheist Books

Recommendations

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Atheist Books

#1  Postby DavidQuinn » Dec 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi there, i love reading original takes on the subject of atheism/religion. Being a bit of a sci-fi buff i recently checked out a series of books called The Chronicles Of Hope (they've been causing a bit of a fuss in the UK and have been pushed by Dawkins among others). It's actually not that sci-fi and features an atheist revolutionary politician. I thoroughly recommend you check it out, the first chapter is free on the website (http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com) and contains a speech on religion that's just genius in denouncing it.

Having finished that book does anyone have anymore atheist book recommendations? I've read a lot of dawkins/sam harris but atheism within a fiction spectrum fascinates me

Thanks
DavidQuinn
Banned User

Name: David; quinn

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist Books

#2  Postby Ironclad » Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm

:wave:

Hello, and welcome into the lifeboat ! This is our greeting for all new members and contains some useful stuff for you.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you some helpful resources such as how to modify your membership display settings, how to navigate around the forum, point you to some threads which address commonly asked questions from newbies, and gives you some handy links to other sites which will help you develop your skepticism. It also contains our forum rules, which we ask that you abide by at all times.

If you're new to this type of phpBB software on forums, you might like to take a look at our Handy Hints for Posting On The Forum, which will show you how to change your text, insert images & youtube clips, and do some other cool stuff.

And finally, as a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#3  Postby UtilityMonster » Dec 12, 2013 5:14 am

I prefer to read about the natural world rather than atheism specifically. Scientific truths themselves are atheistic in nature, as each chips away at the idea that a deity ever need be invoked as an explanation.

Recommendations:

How the Mind Works, The Blank Slate, Better Angels of Our Nature - Steven Pinker
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Green
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins
The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
UtilityMonster

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mike_L » Dec 12, 2013 6:17 am

This one is pretty well written, IMO...

Atheist Universe by David Mills.

4.3 stars out of 5 at Amazon.com
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Mike_L » Dec 12, 2013 6:32 am

For science fiction by atheist authors, you might try the works of...

* Iain M. Banks
* the many novels and short stories of Isaac Asimov

And...
Here's a Wikipedia list of atheist authors.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Mick » Dec 12, 2013 3:38 pm

DavidQuinn wrote:Hi there, i love reading original takes on the subject of atheism/religion. Being a bit of a sci-fi buff i recently checked out a series of books called The Chronicles Of Hope (they've been causing a bit of a fuss in the UK and have been pushed by Dawkins among others). It's actually not that sci-fi and features an atheist revolutionary politician. I thoroughly recommend you check it out, the first chapter is free on the website (http://www.thechroniclesofhope.com) and contains a speech on religion that's just genius in denouncing it.

Having finished that book does anyone have anymore atheist book recommendations? I've read a lot of dawkins/sam harris but atheism within a fiction spectrum fascinates me

Thanks

Dawkins and Harris? Why, you might never have to read another book again.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Dec 12, 2013 4:20 pm

For atheism within a fiction setting you can do no better than to read Aquinas (check sig below).
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby DavidQuinn » Dec 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly putting me onto Aquinas. His stuff seems intriguing. Also love the sound of the fabric of the cosmos so have ordered that. I'll seek to check out all the recommendations over xmas and will report back!
DavidQuinn
Banned User

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Dec 12, 2013 4:35 pm

The Fabric of the Cosmos is mind-blowingly good. Some parts just made me almost dizzy trying to comprehend. It deserves more than one read.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Matthew Shute » Dec 12, 2013 4:57 pm

David, please check out this title:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://ww ... skept01-21

It includes writings from Lucretius, Omar Khayyám, Thomas Hobbes, Spinoza, Hume, Marx, George Eliot, Darwin, Mark Twain, Joseph Conrad, H. P. Lovecraft, Einstein, George Orwell, Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, Michael Shermer, all of the "Horsemen" (Harris/Dawkins/Dennett/Hitchens), Victor Stenger, Steven Weinberg, A. C. Grayling, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and quite a few more.

I highly recommend it for the diversity of atheistic and agnostic thought - fiction, nonfiction, scientists, philosophers, and even poets.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Aca » Dec 12, 2013 5:08 pm

on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#12  Postby NamelessFaceless » Dec 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Welcome! :cheers:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DavidQuinn » Dec 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Have bought George H Smith and Hitchens Portable atheist. Thanks, will be a busy and enlightening xmas (can read to drown out the monotony of my uncle on xmas day). I'll hope to get on this forum more over xmas
DavidQuinn
Banned User

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Blip » Dec 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Well, I'd recommend three books.

'An Introduction to Social Anthropology' by Lucy Mair (to understand why people believe in gods)
'Atheism Explained: from folly to philosophy' by David Ramsay Steele (to understand why the god of the bible or any other such text simply cannot exist)
'The Bible' (if that doesn't make you an atheist, you're beyond hope ;-) )

ETA I re-read your OP and you're only after fiction. Just 'The Bible' then :thumbup:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby ScientificSkeptic » Dec 16, 2013 3:24 am

Ready for this one?

"God,No!" by Penn Jillette
ScientificSkeptic
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Dec 16, 2013 4:09 am

Religion Explained (2001) by Pascal Boyer. Not an atheist book per se, but if you have any reading comprehension whatsoever and some intellectual honesty, you will be swapping baby recipes within minutes of completing this book.

"Nonsense On Stilts" (2010) by Massimo Pigliucci. Some folks don't like this book, because Massimo seems to be far too generous with the creationist's canards, but he nevertheless drops a huge H-bomb on psuedo-science in general. Although not specifically atheistic or antireligious, use pretty much the same analyical techniques to deconstruct religious bollocks and you will be a blasphemer in no time at all. :grin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#17  Postby DavidQuinn » Dec 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Blip, the bible is an epic science fiction novel. The depth of imagination involved in the fiction is also unrivalled I think. Imagining that there’s this invisible man in the sky, an invisible man who watches over us, a man with a list of ten things we shouldn’t do, that if we do any of these ten things we’ll go to hell – this is unbelievably original character ‘making’. It's just a shame that the god in the old testament is jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. (bit of a dawkins quote there). If they had made him a lot nicer the legacy of religion would have been so much different.

Darwinsbulldog love the sound of nonsense on stilts! Another purchase for xmas
DavidQuinn
Banned User

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members