Does this board have free speech?

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Re: Does this board have free speech?

#21  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 07, 2018 12:27 am

:lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 07, 2018 1:36 am

I love authoritarianism. Love to be a part of one some day.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 07, 2018 2:22 am

Is that like a gymnasium for authors?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 07, 2018 4:34 am

UltimoReducto wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:We've also had discussions about free speech on this board. I'm the authoritarian feminist side. :awesome:

I’ve come across this view many times. It seems like it ought to be a contradiction, and I’m always surprised by how it goes unnoticed. How could a feminist be in favor of authority, unless that authority is already feminist, in which case why do you need the feminism? Yet we all apparently see it as natural for the two to go together, it kind of attests to our real beliefs about patriarchy. It doesn’t exist. More likely the social order is something along the lines of rich men versus poor men with feminists and other authoritarians living inconsequentially as useful idiots.

If you say something ought to be a contradiction, it makes it sound like you're just expressing an opinion. See the thread on the good bits of Dudeism.

Anyway, wealth is about as authoritarian as it gets. How will feminism thrive in a barter economy? Your concerns seem a bit narrow, which I attribute to trying to reduce everything to a platitude about rich vs. poor.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#25  Postby laklak » Mar 07, 2018 5:02 am

There is a thread on a Dudeist FB group where someone is being roundly castigated for saying "Be excellent to one another" on the basis that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is not scripture, and doesn't even rise to Talmud or Hadith status. Doctrine, and it's handmaiden Authoritarianism, have come to Dudesville. We are lost.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 07, 2018 5:32 am

But I mean, like, what did you expect, lak? The paradigmatic dude of Dudeism is gendered male. Thus hierarchy goes under the guise of neutrality, much in the way that "man" is colloquially, formally, and traditionally interchangeable with the category of "human" in ways "woman" is not. Thus, Dudeism rehearses traditional sexism, but with weed and bad hair. It's, in fact, more curious a poison than the traditional view because it tempts those of a liberal persuasion to drink it. And there are, of course, resources within Dudeism to deflect, from both this analysis and from social and cultural aspects of femininity more generally: one thinks of its relegation of such attempts as "opinion" and its general retreat from seriousness into subversion through humour. But because its philosophy and outlook reproduce masculine discourses it also suffers from overload when its lax theoretical machinery is jammed, and then resets to its former mode of toxicity and violence.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#27  Postby laklak » Mar 07, 2018 5:40 am

Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is philosophy. There are rules.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 07, 2018 5:44 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:But I mean, like, what did you expect, lak? The paradigmatic dude of Dudeism is gendered male. Thus hierarchy goes under the guise of neutrality, much in the way that "man" is colloquially, formally, and traditionally interchangeable with the category of "human" in ways "woman" is not. Thus, Dudeism rehearses traditional sexism, but with weed and bad hair. It's, in fact, more curious a poison than the traditional view because it tempts those of a liberal persuasion to drink it. And there are, of course, resources within Dudeism to deflect, from both this analysis and from social and cultural aspects of femininity more generally: one thinks of its relegation of such attempts as "opinion" and its general retreat from seriousness into subversion through humour. But because its philosophy and outlook reproduce masculine discourses it also suffers from overload when its lax theoretical machinery is jammed, and then resets to its former mode of toxicity and violence.

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members