fossil I.D.

saying hello and identifying a fossil

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

fossil I.D.

#1  Postby sgtoooog » Feb 04, 2014 12:31 am

Hello to all ,nice to find such a place . much needed calm in times of turmoil and intolerance. I live in So. Calif. USA, you might think it a place of acceptance and openminded thought. not so , the place is just as intolerant of different philosophy as you would think the biblebelt might be. If not more so.
Seeking a hand in identifying a fossil found in the Sespe river of So. Ca..it appears to me to be a tortoise of some type but that's only an uneducated guess. vessels are easily seen ,as well as bone structure.
For whatever reason I can't get the photos to load ,if someone is interested in seeing them please email me and I will email a pic to you . have been trying to identify this thing for over a year and no one can figure it out ,pretty frustrating ...lol
thanks for your interest.
Hugo
sgtoooog

Name: Hugo E.

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: fossil I.D.

#2  Postby theropod » Feb 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Oh my! FOSSILS!

Welcome to ratskep, BTW.

To attach a picture use the full post editor page, not the quick reply box.

At the bottom of that page will be a tab to upload an attachment. Click on the browse your computer button to find the file you want. Make sure the image size isn't huge in pixels or file size. Select the file and allow the board software to process the data. When it's finished it will prompt you to place the image inline. Do so at the point you want the image to appear.

Try again, please, and I'll do my best to give you an idea of what you have. Be sure to include the location of where it was collected, and the best idea you have as to the age of the deposit in which it was found.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby hackenslash » Feb 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Alternatively, upload the pics to an image hosting service such as Photobucket, ImageShack, etc, then use the img tags to display them here.

theropod's definitely yer man for fossil idents.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Piper » Feb 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Welcome Sgtooong. Let's see the picture!
If you don't get an ID here, there are more avenues to try.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby theropod » Feb 04, 2014 2:48 pm

I've been doing a little preemptive research on the likely formation. I sure hope this fossil, if from a vertebrate, wasn't collected from BLM land. If so I wouldn't give out any further info about EXACTLY where it was found. While one may collect just about any fossils from Federal land within the USA it is a HUGE no-no for private individuals to collect ANY vertebrate fossils from such land without the proper permits. A single tooth found in your possession on BLM land can lead to serious fines. I feel this rule is silly since vertebrates are of no more, or less, importance than invertebrates. In fact some of those invertebrates can provide much more data than an isolated vertebrate skeleton.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the age of the fossil from this locale are Eocene and may be nearshore marine in nature. If this is so then you won't have a land tortoise unless it was washed out to the eventual depositional setting from land. More likely this would be from a marine turtle.

Also be aware that alligators and crocodile scutes have a marked similarity to turtle scutes. Crocdillian scutes will be more flat in cross section and turtle scutes will have less pitting.

Croc scute:

SOURCE

Turtle scute:

SOURCE

Note that the turtle scute has much more fine dimpling and this is only seen in some species of turtle. Some turtle scutes look exactly like the surface we see in turtle today.

Awaiting more data, anxiously.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby sgtoooog » Feb 04, 2014 9:46 pm

been trying suggestions posted , thanks for those BTW,still getting" file invalid ". I have posted some on facebook page ,they can be seen there under my name . title is" what I found in the sespe river on new years day". I'll continue trying other avenues but this seems to be simplest and that is my mantra ....lol. to answer question regarding dating ,impossible to say since the river floods periodically.things accumulate on the banks and strata is unreliable source for determining .all sorts of interesting things found.
I can be reached by Email on hoo ,same name.will send pics of finds . the citrus ranch where I lived is literally on the river bank and subject to floods,when there is rain ,fingers crossed .
sgtoooog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby theropod » Feb 04, 2014 10:51 pm

sgtoooog wrote:been trying suggestions posted , thanks for those BTW,still getting" file invalid ". I have posted some on facebook page ,they can be seen there under my name . title is" what I found in the sespe river on new years day". I'll continue trying other avenues but this seems to be simplest and that is my mantra ....lol. to answer question regarding dating ,impossible to say since the river floods periodically.things accumulate on the banks and strata is unreliable source for determining .all sorts of interesting things found.
I can be reached by Email on hoo ,same name.will send pics of finds . the citrus ranch where I lived is literally on the river bank and subject to floods,when there is rain ,fingers crossed .

OK? Those instructions for posting image attachments weren't suggestions. If the file is a jpeg and within size limits it will work if done right. Of course you could just give us a link to your FB images and make it easy on all of us.

Even after your PM to me I can't figure out who you are. Have you ever done a search for how many folks use your name on FB? There are a great many. Look for yourself.

I've already figured out the age of the formation. See above.

Email via hoo?

Just send me ONE good picture to: theropod (AT) yahoo (DOT) com. Please make sure the file is under 2 megs since I use my cell for ALL my net connections and all data counts against my allotment.

What about the images I posted above? Either of hose look like your find?

I'm more than willing to help here, but you've gotta give us more with which to work.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby sgtoooog » Feb 04, 2014 11:18 pm

my name on YIM and email is same as here . I'll try to email you what I think is best pic . don't want to solicit any special treatment but I should tell you I was blown up twice in Afghanistan so the response time for my brain is a little diminished ,and I sometimes forget what I am doing . don't we all ,,,thanks again for yourb efforts
Hugo Elizondo
sgtoooog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby hackenslash » Feb 05, 2014 12:41 am

Is this the pic?

It's the only fossil pic I can find on the page of any Hugo Elizondo, though I didn't look that hard. There are other clues that this might be the right person.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby theropod » Feb 05, 2014 12:58 am

sgtoooog wrote:my name on YIM and email is same as here . I'll try to email you what I think is best pic . don't want to solicit any special treatment but I should tell you I was blown up twice in Afghanistan so the response time for my brain is a little diminished ,and I sometimes forget what I am doing . don't we all ,,,thanks again for yourb efforts
Hugo Elizondo

Fossils get special treatment by me every single time. Yours, mine or anyone's. It's my "thing".

I thank you for your service and am very sorry you were wounded. I think it's a stupid war. Fighting ideas? Rarely works without genocide. Still, you did what was asked of you and that's enough for me.

I've done enough drugs by weight to sink a battleship, and am far from the sharpest knife in the drawer, so no worries.

If I need another picture I'll ask. Looking forward to your email.

If I'm coming across as a little grumpy be aware that I took my wife to her work Saturday night and won't see her again until late tomorrow. She is a critical employee and overly dedicated, and I've been trapped at home from two winter storms ever since. The first was snow and today it was freezing rain. It may be dry in Cali, but you don't want this shit!

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 06, 2014 1:37 am

Welcome to the forum Hugo! :cheers:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby theropod » Feb 06, 2014 1:54 am

Still no email.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members