Greetings and Salutations

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Greetings and Salutations

#1  Postby Prog Snob » Oct 11, 2013 4:59 pm

My name's John and I'm a Network Engineer from Staten Island, NY. I consider myself to be an agnostic with an impassioned interest in scientific and rational thought. I was raised Roman Catholic, became a LaVeyan Satanist by my high school years, followed by a few years of Paganism, and now I question everything because doubt is far more enlightening than certainty.
Prog Snob

Name: John
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Greetings and Salutations

#2  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Prog Snob wrote:My name's John and I'm a Network Engineer from Staten Island, NY. I consider myself to be an agnostic with an impassioned interest in scientific and rational thought. I was raised Roman Catholic, became a LaVeyan Satanist by my high school years, followed by a few years of Paganism, and now I question everything because doubt is far more enlightening than certainty.

Welcome! :cheers:

Now off to google LaVeyan Satanism . . .
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Welcome to Rat Skep John. :cheers:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby scott1328 » Oct 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Do you accept that the claim "There is a god" is true?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DougC » Oct 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi there. :cheers:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Bribase » Oct 11, 2013 6:26 pm

:wave:
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Ironclad » Oct 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Welcome to RatSkep!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Prog Snob » Oct 11, 2013 10:06 pm

scott1328 wrote:Do you accept that the claim "There is a god" is true?

Define god.

Thanks everyone. This seems to be an extremely interesting place. A lot of the more interesting topics seem to have endless pages of posts so I have a lot of catching up to do. :grin:
Prog Snob

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Ironclad » Oct 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Have fun! :cheers:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 12, 2013 9:07 am

Hi John, and welcome. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby james1v » Oct 12, 2013 9:09 am

Hi! :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Welcome! :cheers: Bit of a more old fashioned prog snob myself, but always the more the merrier :mrgreen:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby amok » Oct 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Welcome aboard, Prog Snob! :smile:
amok
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Prog Snob » Oct 12, 2013 8:29 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Welcome! :cheers: Bit of a more old fashioned prog snob myself, but always the more the merrier :mrgreen:

Who do you like?

Thanks again everyone!
Prog Snob

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Prog Snob wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Welcome! :cheers: Bit of a more old fashioned prog snob myself, but always the more the merrier :mrgreen:

Who do you like?

Thanks again everyone!

Peter Gabriel era Genesis (Trick Of The Tail was good too), Bill Bruford era King Crimson (also first record), early Amon Duul 2, some Strawbs, Frank Zappa, Faust (if you count them as prog), early Gong, Soft Machine, Goblin, Van Der Graff Generator, Syd Barrett, Rush, Magma (all of it!), Queensryche, a bunch of stuff from that era that I'm forgetting just now...

I like Dream Theater's "Awake" a lot, but most of the newer prog metal stuff leaves me cold. Rhapsody is hilarious/awesome tho :dopey:

How about you?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Prog Snob » Oct 13, 2013 12:25 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Prog Snob wrote:

Who do you like?

Thanks again everyone!

Peter Gabriel era Genesis (Trick Of The Tail was good too), Bill Bruford era King Crimson (also first record), early Amon Duul 2, some Strawbs, Frank Zappa, Faust (if you count them as prog), early Gong, Soft Machine, Goblin, Van Der Graff Generator, Syd Barrett, Rush, Magma (all of it!), Queensryche, a bunch of stuff from that era that I'm forgetting just now...

I like Dream Theater's "Awake" a lot, but most of the newer prog metal stuff leaves me cold. Rhapsody is hilarious/awesome tho :dopey:

How about you?

Well Dream Theater are my favorite band. The new album is actually really good. After the drummer left, they seem to have returned to more songwriting as opposed to just putting random flashy pieces together. Don't get me wrong, I love everything they do but this album is their best in almost 10 years.

The problem with a lot of these newer prog metal bands is their penchant for trying to resemble earlier Dream Theater, which is something even Dream Theater hasn't been able to do to well until recently. :grin: Their Images & Words and Awake CDs set the standard for technical prog metal. I orignally left out the "technical" adjective but realized that one could argue Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime and Fates Warning's Parallels, which both predated Images & Words, were the first prog metal CDs.

I love all of those bands that you mentioned. After Dream Theater, my favorite are Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Spock's Beard, Marillion, Genesis (up until Hackett left - I constantly refer to Phil Collins as the man who ruined Genesis ;) ), and the list goes on. King Crimson and ELP are two of my favorites too. The Crimson ProjeKct, with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin, opened up for DT on their last tour. I first heard Zappa on my father's Mothers Of Invention albums. I thought it was a strange yet amazing sound. If you check out the website progarchives.com you could probably find a LOT of newer prog that pays tribute to the older bands. Did you ever check out Steven Wilson's solo stuff?

Sorry, I started to rant. I could go on about music forever....
Prog Snob

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 13, 2013 5:55 am

Prog Snob wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Prog Snob wrote:

Who do you like?

Thanks again everyone!

How about you?

Well Dream Theater are my favorite band. The new album is actually really good. After the drummer left, they seem to have returned to more songwriting as opposed to just putting random flashy pieces together. Don't get me wrong, I love everything they do but this album is their best in almost 10 years.

The problem with a lot of these newer prog metal bands is their penchant for trying to resemble earlier Dream Theater, which is something even Dream Theater hasn't been able to do to well until recently. :grin: Their Images & Words and Awake CDs set the standard for technical prog metal. I orignally left out the "technical" adjective but realized that one could argue Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime and Fates Warning's Parallels, which both predated Images & Words, were the first prog metal CDs.

I love all of those bands that you mentioned. After Dream Theater, my favorite are Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Spock's Beard, Marillion, Genesis (up until Hackett left - I constantly refer to Phil Collins as the man who ruined Genesis ;) ), and the list goes on. King Crimson and ELP are two of my favorites too. The Crimson ProjeKct, with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin, opened up for DT on their last tour. I first heard Zappa on my father's Mothers Of Invention albums. I thought it was a strange yet amazing sound. If you check out the website progarchives.com you could probably find a LOT of newer prog that pays tribute to the older bands. Did you ever check out Steven Wilson's solo stuff?

Sorry, I started to rant. I could go on about music forever....

Ah, I may have to check out the new DT. And I'll be happy if the quality of their recordings have improved, the last one I heard was done at Portnoy's home studio I think, and it sounded awful. Generally that style just isn't what I'm listening to nowadays. Have been listening to a lot of Queensryche lately (I wasn't even sure if they qualified as prog when I put them on my list, It can be a pretty tough genre to define. It's interesting to consider Operation Mindcrime one of the first prog metal albums, I've never thought of it that way before. Having trouble at the moment thinking of anything older that would qualify.

Zappa is amazing, and there's so much of it. Not all is great, but goddamn did the man have a vision and he pursued it doggedly. The Mothers stuff is definitely my favorite, though Hot Rats, Joe's Garage and Apostrophe are what I started with. Thanks for the progarchives.com recommendation, though honestly I've got my hands full with older stuff, and I'm more interested in newer bands that are doing things differently like Pearls And Brass. Heavy prog blues, so fucking good!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Blackadder » Oct 13, 2013 7:52 am

Prog Snob wrote:Genesis (up until Hackett left - I constantly refer to Phil Collins as the man who ruined Genesis ;) )

:this:

Yes! Great prog rock band turned into the middle-of-the road, hotel-lounge, pap-jazz. Thanks Phil.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Paul » Oct 13, 2013 9:48 am

Blackadder wrote:
Prog Snob wrote:Genesis (up until Hackett left - I constantly refer to Phil Collins as the man who ruined Genesis ;) )

:this:

Yes! Great prog rock band turned into the middle-of-the road, hotel-lounge, pap-jazz. Thanks Phil.

+1

Welcome Prog Snob, there's a prog thread here
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Fallible » Oct 13, 2013 10:19 am

Phil Collins should be confined to a tiny cell and have a muzak rendtion of We Can't Dance piped in 24 hours a day.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members