Hello all, Shantanu here!

Introductory statement

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Hello all, Shantanu here!

#1  Postby Shantanu » Nov 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Hello all,

I am a veteren of discussion forums and have yet to find the right one for me: a discussion forum for truth-seekers that is a balance between tolerance of questions and viewpoints and civility in interactions. I do not like impoliteness which is why I liked and still like Freethought and Rationalism Discussion Board 4 months after I was banned for one too many disruptions. Cannot help that. I like to investigate each and everything that comes my way, including discussion forums (http://discussionforumfortruthseekers.wordpress.com/) .

I hope in Rational Skepticism I will find a good balance of civility together with thought-provoking intellectual conversations.

Shantanu
Shantanu
Banned Troll

Name: Shantanu Panigrahi
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hello all, Shantanu here!

#2  Postby james1v » Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi! :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Steve » Nov 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Shantanu - good luck with the civility need. I like this board as the folks are pretty smart. We have a Forum User Agreement that says people are free to attack someones ideas but they may not, under any circumstances, attack the person. So folks go wild with incivility on attacking the ideas - they are very passionate after all. If you get attached to your ideas expect to feel attacked.

I personally like being attacked as it forces me to examine my self. If I have a wrong idea I really want to know. Especially if I am very attached to a wrong idea.

And in the end I see incivility as an issue for the one being uncivil. Just because that is the best they can do has no bearing on how I feel about them. I mean, would you expect someone with a broken leg to be able to jog just because you can jog? I think the issue is exactly the same. Waiting for others to behave so you can feel good is guaranteed to leave you miserable, so right off the bat I would question that requirement.

I trust that was civil enough?

And welcome to RatSkep!
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Nov 30, 2012 7:40 pm

:wave:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shantanu » Nov 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Steve wrote:Hi Shantanu - good luck with the civility need. I like this board as the folks are pretty smart. We have a Forum User Agreement that says people are free to attack someones ideas but they may not, under any circumstances, attack the person. So folks go wild with incivility on attacking the ideas - they are very passionate after all. If you get attached to your ideas expect to feel attacked.

I personally like being attacked as it forces me to examine my self. If I have a wrong idea I really want to know. Especially if I am very attached to a wrong idea.

And in the end I see incivility as an issue for the one being uncivil. Just because that is the best they can do has no bearing on how I feel about them. I mean, would you expect someone with a broken leg to be able to jog just because you can jog? I think the issue is exactly the same. Waiting for others to behave so you can feel good is guaranteed to leave you miserable, so right off the bat I would question that requirement.

I trust that was civil enough?

And welcome to RatSkep!

Thankyou. Let us see how I get on here. :)
Shantanu
Banned Troll

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby KeenIdiot » Nov 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Hello again Shantau.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby theropod » Nov 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Welcome Shantau. Interesting user name. Have any meaning you'd care to share with us?

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Fenrir » Dec 01, 2012 3:07 am

Hi again Shantanu.

I'll bet people can't wait to hear your enlightened perspective on everything. Don't forget to include your delightful proposal to legalise rape within marriage.

Shantanu wrote:There cannot be many human beings let alone mental health professionals alive in the world who are more enlightened than I am: I know all there is to know about delusions as a result of a life time of studies of the science of human nature in relation to evolutionary biology. My blogs are out in the open for anyone wishing to debate the issues. Only morons cannot see the value of what I have written. There are plenty of them around, everywhere, fighting and jostling to safeguard their positions and interests. When they cannot deal with the pronouncements I make in substance, they resort to idiotic words and actions to divert attention away from their inadequacies. Does this answer all your questions now?
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Tbickle » Dec 01, 2012 3:31 am

Fenrir wrote:Hi again Shantanu.

I'll bet people can't wait to hear your enlightened perspective on everything. Don't forget to include your delightful proposal to legalise rape within marriage.

Shantanu wrote:There cannot be many human beings let alone mental health professionals alive in the world who are more enlightened than I am: I know all there is to know about delusions as a result of a life time of studies of the science of human nature in relation to evolutionary biology. My blogs are out in the open for anyone wishing to debate the issues. Only morons cannot see the value of what I have written. There are plenty of them around, everywhere, fighting and jostling to safeguard their positions and interests. When they cannot deal with the pronouncements I make in substance, they resort to idiotic words and actions to divert attention away from their inadequacies. Does this answer all your questions now?

Welcome?
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Steve » Dec 01, 2012 3:39 am

Yeah, well, that sort of incivility would lead to a banning here.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Doubtdispelled » Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm

:lol:

I quite like his enlightened views on feminism...
Shantanu wrote:Feminism is the idea that the female component of the human species should dictate the terms of the relationship between man and woman in favour of its independence and rejection of the need to submit women to the common cause of humanity. It stems from realising that it is a man’s world in that men make all the major decisions on the direction of humanity in terms of government, business and the professions. It wishes to empower women to take over the running of the world by abandoning women’s traditional role in child bearing and home-making. It abhors the negative aspects of womanhood that prevents the female sex from attaining high positions of power in society. The feminism movement is a resistance movement that wishes to upset the biological evolutionary imperative that the two sexes perform different roles in Nature and are the weaker sex from purely physical strength and stature that enables it to dictate the terms of social interactions. Females are better at multi-tasking so are able to do much more work than men who have evolved to be lazier wanting relaxation and sexual intercourse for which they have a penis which they can thrust into the women’s vagina until sperms are ejaculated, the act tiring them so much that they need rest afterwards.

:rofl: :rofl:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#12  Postby Shantanu » Dec 01, 2012 3:42 pm

theropod wrote:Welcome Shantanu. Interesting user name. Have any meaning you'd care to share with us?

RS

I describe myself as a Secular Pacifist. Due to an amazing piece of coincidence my parents named me 'Shantanu' which in Hindu-Indian languages means a model of peace (shant=peace; anu=model). I always seem to know how to make the right peace in the different circumstances of daily conflicts in a manner that leaves everyone happy and contented that they have all won. Secular Pacifism is interesting, isnt it? It is the username that I always use because it is my real name.
Shantanu
Banned Troll

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby KeenIdiot » Dec 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Shantanu wrote:
theropod wrote:Welcome Shantanu. Interesting user name. Have any meaning you'd care to share with us?

RS

I describe myself as a Secular Pacifist. Due to an amazing piece of coincidence my parents named me 'Shantanu' which in Hindu-Indian languages means a model of peace (shant=peace; anu=model). I always seem to know how to make the right peace in the different circumstances of daily conflicts in a manner that leaves everyone happy and contented that they have all won. Secular Pacifism is interesting, isnt it? It is the username that I always use because it is my real name.

Colour me skeptical.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Shantanu » Dec 01, 2012 7:02 pm

fleamailman wrote:
only morons cannot see the value of what I have written

("...and yet, if one fails to win over one's readers, if conversely one alienates them to the point where they will no longer listen, or ridicule one even, and where the forum then bans one now, then surely one's message, however true and valuable perhaps, has been done a disservice by its presenter who has not seen the nature of those around him..." ventured the goblin, who only hoped that Shintanu could learn from his past mistakes, adding "...I mean unless you wish the same fate to befall you here as the one that befell you back there, how do intend to adjust your message and its presentation to those around you, or do you blame your circumstances for yourself I wonder...", and with that the goblin went back posting in "off topics")

No comment.
Shantanu
Banned Troll

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby iamthereforeithink » Dec 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Physician, heal thyself :cheers:
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby hackenslash » Dec 01, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm sure MrFungus will welcome you presently...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Welcome! I cannot wait to hear the many interesting things you have to share with us, Shantanu.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Ironclad » Dec 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Welcome to RatSkep :cheers:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#19  Postby iamthereforeithink » Dec 01, 2012 8:18 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Welcome! I cannot wait to hear the many interesting things you have to share with us, Shantanu.

Good things come to those who wait. You will have your chance to drink from the fountain of knowledge, but now is not the time.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Shantanu » Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Welcome! I cannot wait to hear the many interesting things you have to share with us, Shantanu.

That is nice to know. But I am no longer sure that sharing my interesting things is always the right thing to do, LucidFlight. Maybe I should first learn what others are saying about things first.
Last edited by Shantanu on Dec 01, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shantanu
Banned Troll

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members