Hello from the Dog

Introduction

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Hello from the Dog

#1  Postby Plutodog » May 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi, I'm Plutodog, another of the spawn of Satin. Came up in the SDA cult, free now. Have been really enjoying the available resources for information and socialization on the internet for Atheists just recently, as opposed to my home forum, TheFogbow.com, where

Looking forward to lots of interaction

TheFogbow.com is my current home where our theme is "Falsehoods Unchallenged Only Fester and Grow"...it started out as a place for politics and debunking the birthers back in 2009. But there are also some Christians there and some of them get awfully unhappy if the falsehoods challenged happen to be of the religious variety and it's considered bad form to get too much into that kind of thing given that it can trigger temper tantrums, etc.

So this should be a much freer place.

Now, how do I create an avatar? Is that an option that doesn't come until I've posted a few times?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Plutodog

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hello from the Dog

#2  Postby BlackBart » May 10, 2015 12:23 pm

A spawn of Satin eh? I'm merely a spawn of 60% cotton 40% polyester. Welcome! :cheers:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby campermon » May 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Welcome!

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby BlackBart » May 10, 2015 12:25 pm

PS You can edit you Avatar via the User Control Panel link under the Profile tab. :thumbup:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » May 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Welcome. Have fun. :cheers:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Plutodog » May 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks, found it, BlackBart. It was hiding.

My signature was going to be a longer quote from Christopher Hitchens but it weren't allowed. So I'll just add it to my introduction thread:

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”

― Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Plutodog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DougC » May 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi. :cheers:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Plutodog » May 10, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi, Doug, pleased to meetcha -- By the way, I thought Do be do be do was Cheech n' Chong. :scratch:

Hi, Alan B - I assert that all the Gods I've been made aware of don't deserve to exist whether they actually do or not. :snooty:

Hi, Campermon - Thanks for the welcome! :drunk:
― Christopher Hitchens
Plutodog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Onyx8 » May 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Welcome aboard Plutodog.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby babel » May 10, 2015 8:07 pm

But we already have a dog. And a couple of sloths. A zebra and butterflies. So welcome to the zoo!
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Plutodog » May 11, 2015 2:48 am

A zoo, huh? Could be worse.

― Christopher Hitchens
Plutodog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Steve » May 11, 2015 2:59 am

Welcome to the life boat...

As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 11, 2015 3:41 am

I am the one true dog, and Pluto isn't event a planet. But welcome anyway.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#14  Postby Plutodog » May 11, 2015 5:58 am

Yes it is. It's just a more compact, less wasteful planet. And while I was unaware there was only one true dog, now I must say, "Why sure there is. How conveeenient." Woof, Darwin. Hey, shouldn't we be taking out after Steve up there? (Hi Steve!)
― Christopher Hitchens
Plutodog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Made of Stars » May 11, 2015 9:18 am

Gidday. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Ironclad » May 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Hello :wave:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Plutodog » May 15, 2015 3:01 am

Hi, kiddies! Anybody paying attention to Kent Hovind's ongoing criminal career? His next trial starts next week with jury selection -- and apparently any number of Hovind cultists planning to hit time and demonstrate for jury nullification from the beginning. I know there's a Hovind thread, but several of my posts are most recent without others joining in.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... t%20Hovind
― Christopher Hitchens
Plutodog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Darwinsbulldog » May 15, 2015 4:49 am

Plutodog wrote:Hi, kiddies! Anybody paying attention to Kent Hovind's ongoing criminal career? His next trial starts next week with jury selection -- and apparently any number of Hovind cultists planning to hit time and demonstrate for jury nullification from the beginning. I know there's a Hovind thread, but several of my posts are most recent without others joining in.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... t%20Hovind

I confess to a little Schadenfreude over the plight of fundamentalists like Kent Hovind. Their one "virtue" is the lack of hypocrisy in their religious ideology, which does not involve cherry-picking, unlike religious "moderates". They consider themselves and their ideology immune to both reason and evidence. So the criminality is just icing on the cake. Their final, and absolute fall from grace and dignity.
Meanwhile, the cherry picking moderates will "Tut, tut", and disown the fundamentalists amongst them. A favourite escape is to make a "No True Scotsman fallacy: "Yeah, those priests who abuse children are not true Christians" [atheists obviously! :-)]; "those terrorists are not true Muslims", and so on.
In such escapes they avoid any cognitive dissonance, and thus continue to believe in their fables. Thus no possibility of insight that religious belief may be [at least in part] a driver of moral degradation and a warped ethical sense. :doh:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#19  Postby JackRussell » May 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Welcome PlutoDog from another forum hound:)
JackRussell

Name: Mark
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby NamelessFaceless » May 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Plutodog wrote:Thanks, found it, BlackBart. It was hiding.

My signature was going to be a longer quote from Christopher Hitchens but it weren't allowed. So I'll just add it to my introduction thread:

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”

― Christopher Hitchens, The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever

:lol:

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members