Hello I am new

This is not actually the first post I submitted, but my second my apologies.

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Hello I am new

#1  Postby Deist513 » Nov 15, 2020 6:45 am

Hello so as my name says I am an agnostic deist. I was a devout christian before certain events in my life lead me to conclude all religion was a manmade falsehood. I actually still believe this, but somewhat lean towards the idea there may be a God and afterlife we do not understand hence my rather recent position of deism. I still admire many atheist thinkers to this day as I view religion to be a falsehood. I think that if there is a God he largely is unconcerned with hummanity, and religous preconceptions of his meddling in human affairs to be largely without basis in reality. My first post was actually about pursuing a career in biological research which I do not know if that willl be possible I hope to make a reality someday. Thank you so much for reading.
Deist513
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Andrew Gavin
Posts: 6

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Hello I am new

#2  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 15, 2020 12:41 pm

Deist513 wrote:Hello so as my name says I am an agnostic deist. I was a devout christian before certain events in my life lead me to conclude all religion was a manmade falsehood. I actually still believe this, but somewhat lean towards the idea there may be a God and afterlife we do not understand hence my rather recent position of deism. I still admire many atheist thinkers to this day as I view religion to be a falsehood. I think that if there is a God he largely is unconcerned with hummanity, and religous preconceptions of his meddling in human affairs to be largely without basis in reality. My first post was actually about pursuing a career in biological research which I do not know if that willl be possible I hope to make a reality someday. Thank you so much for reading.


You're still evidently stuck with the vocabulary you learned as a theist. You might as well still be a theist for all I care. Most notably, you're still practicing theology. You only received the notion of a deity from theists, so you have to do better than "leaning towards" this stuff in accounting for why you use the vocabulary of theism at all. Some members here will coddle your soft-headed pronouncements (entities "we don't understand") in hopes you won't go back to being a confirmed theist. Better luck conversing with them.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Placebo Domingo
Posts: 29397
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Hello I am new

#3  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Logic says we should be agnostic when there's no evidence either way. As Asimov said, we are creatures of emotion, and with all the church scandals making a leap of anti-faith based on a appeal to our emotions makes perfect sense. I do think religion is a helpful construct, a day of rest reduces carbon emission's, and theists do live longer on average - so go with what feels right to you, some fluctuation between 48 and 52 % for belief and disbelief won't harm anyone
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
User avatar
aufbahrung
 
Name: Your Real Name
Posts: 1398

Country: United Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hello I am new

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 15, 2020 2:52 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I found that by referring to "God and afterlife we do not understand", you are turning it into something that you understand. There are undoubtedly things about the universe that we don't understand or are even aware of, I think it does them a disservice to associate them with concepts that are so clearly the product of human wishful thinking.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14393
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello I am new

#5  Postby Deist513 » Nov 16, 2020 1:41 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Deist513 wrote:Hello so as my name says I am an agnostic deist. I was a devout christian before certain events in my life lead me to conclude all religion was a manmade falsehood. I actually still believe this, but somewhat lean towards the idea there may be a God and afterlife we do not understand hence my rather recent position of deism. I still admire many atheist thinkers to this day as I view religion to be a falsehood. I think that if there is a God he largely is unconcerned with hummanity, and religous preconceptions of his meddling in human affairs to be largely without basis in reality. My first post was actually about pursuing a career in biological research which I do not know if that willl be possible I hope to make a reality someday. Thank you so much for reading.


You're still evidently stuck with the vocabulary you learned as a theist. You might as well still be a theist for all I care. Most notably, you're still practicing theology. You only received the notion of a deity from theists, so you have to do better than "leaning towards" this stuff in accounting for why you use the vocabulary of theism at all. Some members here will coddle your soft-headed pronouncements (entities "we don't understand") in hopes you won't go back to being a confirmed theist. Better luck conversing with them.



I see quite scathing, but I do not mind at all. I actually still debate with myself my recent idea that God/and or an afterlife exists. I would actually say I am well below 60% leaning that way probably more like 51% if anythings. I called myself an agnostic atheist for around six to seven years, and would have classified myself as a 5 or 6 on the Dawkins scale.

Sorry I seem to have offended you so much. I highly doubt I will go back to being a theist, but you will never really know as I never thought I would leave christianity either.

As far as why I am a deist is because I think there are certain while far from conclusive hints that their may be an afterlife, and a universal observer of the universe at large.

I do not believe this being cares for us particularly much if at all, or that he answers prayers or some such thing as a theist would. Hence I label myself a deist.

You will find I do not need to be coddled at all as I am quite open to changing my mind, and rarely get offended by people. So fire away.
Deist513
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Andrew Gavin
Posts: 6

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello I am new

#6  Postby Deist513 » Nov 16, 2020 1:47 am

Deist513 wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Deist513 wrote:Hello so as my name says I am an agnostic deist. I was a devout christian before certain events in my life lead me to conclude all religion was a manmade falsehood. I actually still believe this, but somewhat lean towards the idea there may be a God and afterlife we do not understand hence my rather recent position of deism. I still admire many atheist thinkers to this day as I view religion to be a falsehood. I think that if there is a God he largely is unconcerned with hummanity, and religous preconceptions of his meddling in human affairs to be largely without basis in reality. My first post was actually about pursuing a career in biological research which I do not know if that willl be possible I hope to make a reality someday. Thank you so much for reading.


You're still evidently stuck with the vocabulary you learned as a theist. You might as well still be a theist for all I care. Most notably, you're still practicing theology. You only received the notion of a deity from theists, so you have to do better than "leaning towards" this stuff in accounting for why you use the vocabulary of theism at all. Some members here will coddle your soft-headed pronouncements (entities "we don't understand") in hopes you won't go back to being a confirmed theist. Better luck conversing with them.



I see quite scathing, but I do not mind at all. I actually still debate with myself my recent idea that God/and or an afterlife exists. I would actually say I am well below 60% leaning that way probably more like 51% if anythings. I called myself an agnostic atheist for around six to seven years, and would have classified myself as a 5 or 6 on the Dawkins scale.

Sorry I seem to have offended you so much. I highly doubt I will go back to being a theist, but you will never really know as I never thought I would leave christianity either.

As far as why I am a deist is because I think there are certain while far from conclusive hints that their may be an afterlife, and a universal observer of the universe at large.

I do not believe this being cares for us particularly much if at all, or that he answers prayers or some such thing as a theist would. Hence I label myself a deist.

You will find I do not need to be coddled at all as I am quite open to changing my mind, and rarely get offended by people. So fire away.


I suppose what convinced me to a very limited extent as I am far from certain of even the deistic proposition much less a theistic one which I am convinced is false is as follows.

From my limited understanding of physics matter changes under observation, and I have also read it may be that matter requires observation to function the way it does.

The other pieces of evidence that convinced me was reading about mentally disable people frequently with incomplete brains far exceeding the expectations of medical doctors, but this could easily be labelled a God of the gaps argument.
Deist513
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Andrew Gavin
Posts: 6

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello I am new

#7  Postby Deist513 » Nov 16, 2020 1:56 am

Actually I really did not come on here to debate the existence of a deistic god. I lean that way very tentaviley only recently, and I do not particuraly care either way. Suffice it to say I am quite happy the theisitc gods of say the abrahamic religions are almsot certainly false as I view them as great evil beings if they were true.

I actually came on here to get advice on pursuing a career in science, but to that thread no one has as of yet responded too.

I am really not interested in debating my deistic position. I only chose to include it as a position of honesty. I came on here far more out of curiosity for science than actually debating any type of god/afterlife.

It is far more likely I will go back to being an agnostic atheist than a theist as I view the concept of a personal god to be all but thouroughly debunked. I could for instance never return to the abrahamic religions knowing what I know now, but living in ignorance of it when I was a Christian.

Thank you all for your responses.
Deist513
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Andrew Gavin
Posts: 6

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Hello I am new

#8  Postby romansh » Nov 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Welcome Deist513
As an agnostic myself I have trouble believing in things that ultimately that have a root in an argument from incredulity. But I do sometimes succumb to that type of argument ... but deism is not one of them.

Regarding a career in science ... speaking from forty years of experience: if it is your passion go for it. If you want to be successful ... it helps to have good communication skills.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
User avatar
romansh
 
Posts: 2751

Country: BC Can (in the woods)
Print view this post

Re: Hello I am new

#9  Postby Deist513 » Nov 17, 2020 2:45 am

romansh wrote:Welcome Deist513
As an agnostic myself I have trouble believing in things that ultimately that have a root in an argument from incredulity. But I do sometimes succumb to that type of argument ... but deism is not one of them.

Regarding a career in science ... speaking from forty years of experience: if it is your passion go for it. If you want to be successful ... it helps to have good communication skills.


As I said I am aware some of what convinced me could be labeled a God of the gaps argument. Which if I am not mistaken fall into that vein of argument from incredulity.

Thank you for the advice. I have no I idea if I will make any progress, but I have been pursuing a lab assistant job.

Thanks.
Deist513
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Andrew Gavin
Posts: 6

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post


Return to Welcome New Members

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest