Hello, is anyone home?

Introduction

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Hello, is anyone home?

#1  Postby beejewel » Jun 12, 2015 3:49 am

Hi, I came across your forum by chance and thought it looked interesting. havent read very many posts yet, but hope to catch up in time. It would be wrong to say I believe in Atheism, so let's just say I have no religion. I am a lateral thinker and I am not afraid to challenge anything, even the most holy held beliefs.

I am in my mid 50's and have been self employed since I was 19, my interests are physics, business and anything else interesting.

I have three businesses and plenty of ideas for more but no time to do it in.

Steven S.
Dropped in on this forum for a chat, couldn't get a rational conversation going and left within 48 hours, more about Kepler's planets here... | http://groundpotential.org
beejewel

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hello, is anyone home?

#2  Postby Scar » Jun 12, 2015 5:14 am

You don't believe in atheism. Atheism is the absence of belief. Welcome!
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ironclad » Jun 12, 2015 6:27 am

Welcome to RatSkep :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 12, 2015 7:11 am

Welcome Stephen! Get used to people nit-picking what you say, it can be both irritating and enlightening.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#5  Postby BlackBart » Jun 12, 2015 7:43 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Welcome Stephen! Get used to people nit-picking what you say, it can be both irritating and enlightening.

Depends what you mean by nit-picking...

:hide:

Welcome Stephen. :cheers:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby beejewel » Jun 12, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks for the welcome wishes, I shall remain sceptical of the board until proven otherwise.

I prefer forums where people post with their real names, it tends to eliminate the couch assassins. I sign with my real name because I have nothing to hide. Let's see how rational this bunch of people are ;)

Steven
Dropped in on this forum for a chat, couldn't get a rational conversation going and left within 48 hours, more about Kepler's planets here... | http://groundpotential.org
beejewel

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Scar » Jun 12, 2015 8:02 am

Don't know how displaying my real (full) name would change my behavior. You'd still be non the wiser who I actually am in RL.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jun 12, 2015 8:12 am

beejewel wrote:Thanks for the welcome wishes, I shall remain sceptical of the board until proven otherwise.

I prefer forums where people post with their real names, it tends to eliminate the couch assassins. I sign with my real name because I have nothing to hide. Let's see how rational this bunch of people are ;)

Steven

Perhaps Steven, but there are many other ways to look at anonymity, some of them good. For example, one can critically comment on the fact that in some parts of the world you can be beheaded for simply not believing in the "correct" sky fairy, and thus be protected from insane megalomaniacs who claim to do it on behalf of their child-raping deity and will seek retribution on one's person for having the temerity to disagree with them. of course, if one of them is a forum member one is obliged to follow the FUA! :dopey:

Also, avatar names can be fun! :grin:

Rob. :thumbup:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#9  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 15, 2015 6:17 am

Welcome. :cheers:

MoS.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 13, 2015 1:59 am

beejewel wrote:Thanks for the welcome wishes, I shall remain sceptical of the board until proven otherwise.

Steven

Welcome Steven, hope you enjoy your stay!

In my experience posting with my real name on YT and FB, I didn't notice that people were any more polite or civil. In fact, I've had some people get perilously close to outright stalking me - the last time this happened I decided to change my username to avoid dealing with that kind of shit in the future.

Some people will hide behind their anonymity, for others it sets them free of being threatened for their positions.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members