Hello! Is Spear Thrower here?

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Hello! Is Spear Thrower here?

#1  Postby Chief Wiggum » Oct 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi there, I was steered this way by someone on Facebook, who I believe goes by the name Spear Thrower on here.
He was very knowledgeable about evolution and debunking Creationist ideas and we had a long, spirited, highly educational debate with Creationist fundies.
Sadly, I've noticed his Facebook account has since been deleted and with it, his vast reams of expert opinion were expunged from the records.
Just checking he's OK really, as I wanted to thank him for the patient dissection of fundamentalist nonsense. He inspired me to write a newspaper column on evolution/Creationism myths and wanted to thank him.
I don't know whether he left Facebook voluntarily or was forced off by some religious nuts taking offence and getting him blocked. Either way, cheers!
Chief Wiggum

Name: Dave Bromage

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Hello! Is Spear Thrower here?

#2  Postby campermon » Oct 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Indeed he is.

:wave:

Hello, and welcome into the lifeboat ! This is our greeting for all new members and contains some useful stuff for you.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you some helpful resources such as how to modify your membership display settings, how to navigate around the forum, point you to some threads which address commonly asked questions from newbies, and gives you some handy links to other sites which will help you develop your skepticism. It also contains our forum rules, which we ask that you abide by at all times.

If you're new to this type of phpBB software on forums, you might like to take a look at our Handy Hints for Posting On The Forum, which will show you how to change your text, insert images & youtube clips, and do some other cool stuff.

And finally, as a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Oct 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Yeah, Speary is here. He got massively hacked off with Facebook and has retreated from that social media.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Fallible » Oct 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Never 'eard of 'im.
Last edited by Fallible on Oct 28, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby kennyc » Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ironclad » Oct 28, 2014 2:20 pm

You may not have PM privileges for a little while yet, but he's around somewhere.

Welcome aboard :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Made of Stars » Oct 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Gidday! :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Chief Wiggum » Oct 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi all, thanks for the welcome. I shall enjoy having a look around. Glad Spear Thrower is still alive - luckily before he left I made detailed notes on his Creationism v evolution discussion. They will come in very handy when explaining stuff to my 3yo.
Chief Wiggum

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby kennyc » Oct 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Some interesting discussion going on right here at the moment: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creat ... 47250.html
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Welcome! :cheers:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Onyx8 » Oct 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Good to have you here.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Oct 29, 2014 12:41 am

Welcome Chief. :cheers:

Spearthrower? I seem to recall. I privately call him "HEAD SHOT" Spearthrower as he is the bane of woo-mongers everywhere. :thumbup: :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#13  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 29, 2014 2:07 am

Doesn't surprise me to learn that Spearthrower became heartily sick and tired of Farcebook. Post anything on evolution there, and the creotards turn up in droves posting the usual inane drivel. Here, we have somewhat better control over them. :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby james1v » Oct 29, 2014 2:16 am

Chief Wiggum wrote:Hi all, thanks for the welcome. I shall enjoy having a look around. Glad Spear Thrower is still alive - luckily before he left I made detailed notes on his Creationism v evolution discussion. They will come in very handy when explaining stuff to my 3yo.

Are you insinuating his arguments for evolution would just about convince a 3 year old? :scratch: :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 29, 2014 6:24 am

Hello hello! I am indeed here! (they've got me locked in a gimp box - please send for help!)

Just to note that I left FB entirely voluntarily on account of frustration with what I perceive to be a growing authoritarianism and disdain for their members' private information.

Would Chief Wiggum be the gentleman with whom I shared a (somewhat frustrating) discussion on the British Humanist Association's page?

If so, you're going to be thrilled at what you find here - comparative to a goodly number of the members here, I am a rank noob on details of evolutionary biology! :D

Welcome aboard!

I'd be really interested to read your column though - that sounds awesome and I am glad to have inspired something positive!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 29, 2014 6:26 am

james1v wrote:
Are you insinuating his arguments for evolution would just about convince a 3 year old? :scratch: :think:

Sounds about right! Actually, the intellectual level of the creationists involved in that debate would have been approximately the right target age then! :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Fallible » Oct 29, 2014 8:21 am

Oh, you're Spearthrower!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Chief Wiggum » Oct 29, 2014 10:21 am

Hi Spearthrower, yes, it was indeed that BHA discussion. I'll stick my column online soon and send you the link. It got a hilarious/engaging response in the letters page the following week from an Answers in Genesis loon.
I really was dreadfully uneducated about evolution before that debate though. Now I'm talking about genetics with my 3yo! I'm so pleased kids will now be taught about evolution better than I was at school.
Chief Wiggum

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Fallible wrote:Oh, you're Spearthrower!

Stop misrepresenting me! :grin:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members