Hello Skeptics from a Spiritual Person!

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Hello Skeptics from a Spiritual Person!

#61  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Feb 11, 2015 11:09 pm

Wonderfeel wrote:@Thomas Eshuls, no I haven't read a book debunking astrology, have watched a fair bit of Richard Dawkins but found him too unscientific because he's closed-minded. I was particularly interested in Alain de Botton's work 'Religion for Athiests'.

So basically, you haven't bothered to look into sources that debunk astrology?
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Wonderfeel wrote:
@Thomas Eshuls, no I haven't read a book debunking astrology,

So you haven't actually considered the topic with an open mind.

Wonderfeel wrote: have watched a fair bit of Richard Dawkins but found him too unscientific because he's closed-minded.

This is a rather hypocritical statement given the one above.

Wonderfeel wrote: I was particularly interested in Alain de Botton's work 'Religion for Athiests'.

How is this relevant in any way?

Wonderfeel wrote:Have you ever read about your lunar nodes? (that is a sincere question coming from me)

Have you read a scientific book debunking astrology yet? Serious question.
Stop trying to shift the burden of proof.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#63  Postby BlackBart » Feb 11, 2015 11:45 pm

Wonderfeel wrote:
I was thinking about how occaisionally I hear weird scratching noises outside, and my skeptical self might say it's nothing, but my innocent self will get me to go have a look, and I might see an echidna moseying along. If I were purely or emphatically skeptical I might have missed seing him/her.

No, deciding that a scratching noise is 'nothing' would not be scepticism. That would be merely making an assumption. Neither would deciding not to investigate the sound constitute scepticism. That would merely be a lack of curiousity.

So I feel to balance healthy skepticism with being open to experience...

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that skepticism and being 'open to experience' are mutually exclusive.

You might find that learning what skepticism actually is would be helpful in fixing that misapprehension. :thumbup:

Oh, and welcome! :cheers:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Onyx8 » Feb 12, 2015 12:47 am

Your skeptical self would say that a scratching noise you heard was nothing? Why? If there is a scratching noise then something is making a scratching noise, what is there to be skeptical about? That you heard it? You aren't making sense.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#65  Postby hackenslash » Feb 12, 2015 12:48 am

Might I graciously request of the staff that they split the relevant portions to a thread in the debunking fora? This isn't really the place for a public display of a newb getting mullahed, which is definitely in Wonderfeel's immediate future. There's no mileage in prospective new members getting frightened away by the humiliating flaying that this member's guff is about to be subjected to.

:cheers: and apologies for the effort.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby Wonderfeel » Feb 12, 2015 2:09 am

Hi Skeptics,
Thanks Scarlett and Fallible for explaining I had misinterpretted your comments!

I do feel vulnerable, in a way I feel I am a herbivore among carnivores. Hello Skeptics from a Spiritual Person!

I feel up for a challenge, I joined this group to hone myself and my belifs. I want to live with and offer a spiritual system that have minimal fat, that are the bares-bone of what is needed to be of use, with a minimal amount of hocus-pocus. I am skeptical of heaps of things I imagine a lot of you are too, and I also accept a lot of things a lot of you don't.

If it was appropriate to start a thread in Pseudoscience about the Wonderfeel system, that'd be cool. I can isolate the 3 or 4 foundation stones I build my case on, and explain why each is chosen.

Difficult to reply to everything, but will have more time later today....
“The opposite of creativity is cynicism”
Esa Saarinen
Wonderfeel

Name: Peter Siahna Wadham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Shrunk » Feb 12, 2015 2:39 am

Wonderfeel wrote:I want to live with and offer a spiritual system that have minimal fat, that are the bares-bone of what is needed to be of use, with a minimal amount of hocus-pocus.

I can make it easy for you: Get rid of the whole idea of "spirituality." You're done.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#68  Postby laklak » Feb 12, 2015 2:43 am

I'm feeling a bit spiritual tonight, I believe I'll have a Tullamore Dew. I'll try the whiskey stones I got for Xmas.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Ironclad » Feb 12, 2015 3:05 am

Wonderfeel wrote: do feel vulnerable, in a way I feel I am a herbivore among carnivores.

We're all pussycats really, just drop a bowl of milk on the floor and it's all good :dopey:

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Open a thread in another sub-forum if you like, the Welcome thread isn't the place we want made scary. It's the place to say ''hi'', and keep friendly. :)

IC
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#70  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Apr 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Wonderfeel wrote:
If it was appropriate to start a thread in Pseudoscience about the Wonderfeel system, that'd be cool. I can isolate the 3 or 4 foundation stones I build my case on, and explain why each is chosen.

I'm looking forward to seeing this happen. I dearly hope we wind up with something fresh rather than the stale drivel I've previously seen in defense of New Age silliness.

As an atheist who started out believing in New Age silliness, welcome to the forum! :dance:

And, to reiterate what's already been said by others, developing an open mind and fairly applying standards of evidence to all propositions was what brought me to skepticism and an atheist conclusion. So please feel free to stop implying that skepticism and closed-mindedness are synonymous.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Apparently so. :coffee:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members