Hello!

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Hello!

#1  Postby euphoriameantime » May 28, 2014 3:03 am

Hello, and thank you. I found this forum, while fact checking an angry letter. I get bored. I get angry. I write letters.

I'm a Stay At Home Mom, which means I'm primarily surrounded by conspiracy theorists. Breast milk cures warts. Chiropractor will boost your immune system. Magic salt lamps purify the air. The government is out to get us. We're being lied to. We're intentionally being poisoned and......... how many shots until I forget you opened your mouth?

Which has led me to my primary (fictional) political platform. Words must be rationed and distributed according to IQ and quarterly review. Also, BS Court, Take someone spouting nonsense to court for the right to legally give them the smack they deserve. Thank you and drive through!

I've been trying to further my basic understanding of the Quantum World. I know the basics, but every time I get more in depth it's like reading 6 chapters that build on knowledge learned in the previous chapter. However, the chapters are out of order and they randomly tossed out two of them. I'm beginning to suspect this might just be the nature of Quantum Physics and it is not a personal disability. So, if anyone has some learning resources, I would love to be pointed in the right direction.
Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. Bohr
euphoriameantime

Name: Jen
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Hello!

#2  Postby Made of Stars » May 28, 2014 9:08 am

Hi EMT, welcome aboard. With regard to quantum stuff, I'm inclined to believe that if you think you understand it, you're wrong. :)
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby campermon » May 28, 2014 9:31 am

:wave:

Hello Jen, and welcome into the lifeboat ! This is our greeting for all new members and contains some useful stuff for you.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you some helpful resources such as how to modify your membership display settings, how to navigate around the forum, point you to some threads which address commonly asked questions from newbies, and gives you some handy links to other sites which will help you develop your skepticism. It also contains our forum rules, which we ask that you abide by at all times.

If you're new to this type of phpBB software on forums, you might like to take a look at our Handy Hints for Posting On The Forum, which will show you how to change your text, insert images & youtube clips, and do some other cool stuff.

And finally, as a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » May 28, 2014 9:33 am

euphoriameantime wrote:
I've been trying to further my basic understanding of the Quantum World. I know the basics, but every time I get more in depth it's like reading 6 chapters that build on knowledge learned in the previous chapter. However, the chapters are out of order and they randomly tossed out two of them. I'm beginning to suspect this might just be the nature of Quantum Physics and it is not a personal disability. So, if anyone has some learning resources, I would love to be pointed in the right direction.

We have a number are physicists on the board; if you pop over to the physics threads and post a question you'll be sure to get a response.

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » May 28, 2014 9:47 am

Welcome to Ratskep :cheers:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6  Postby virphen » May 28, 2014 9:52 am

The word rationing thing has some merit, but then what happens if I run out of IQ word allotment in the middle of
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Weaver » May 28, 2014 12:41 pm

And :this: is why I don't worry too much about lizard overlords. They just aren't that bright.

Welcome, Jen! I don't often comment in these welcome threads, but your intro was really good. Hope you like the place as much as we do!

EDITED to fix typo. Knew I shouldn't have had that dog biscuit for a midnight snack.
Last edited by Weaver on May 28, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Made of Stars » May 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Weaver wrote:And :rhis: is why I don't worry too much about lizard overlords. They just aren't that bright.

rhis? :scratch: Welcome to the forum, Scooby Doo. :thumbup:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby james1v » May 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi! :cheers:

I find theres always something to interest most people here...

www.gresham.ac.uk

Its also free. :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby BlackBart » May 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi Jen. :wave:

I have a couple of salt lamps :shifty:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby hackenslash » May 28, 2014 5:40 pm

euphoriameantime wrote: Breast milk cures warts.

Avoids obvious gag about warts on todger...

Welcome! :cheers:
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby euphoriameantime » May 28, 2014 6:35 pm

BlackBart wrote:Hi Jen. :wave:

I have a couple of salt lamps :shifty:

I've nothing against salt lamps, in general. They give a very nice ambiance, and I have no trouble believing that some people may experience a calming effect.

It's when people start claiming that they clean the air, release negative ions, cure asthma, allergies, and COPD. :naughty:
Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. Bohr
euphoriameantime

Name: Jen
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby NamelessFaceless » May 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Welcome! :cheers:

I just had to google 'salt lamps.'
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby reddix » May 29, 2014 2:45 am

Hello, Jen! :hello:

Welcome to RatSkep! :cheers:

Weaver wrote:And :this: is why I don't worry too much about lizard overlords. They just aren't that bright.

Amen and awomen to that!

.:plot:
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members