Hello

I am a Christian. Please don't beat me up too bad.

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Hello

#1  Postby jinxu » Mar 27, 2015 10:52 pm

My knowledge of evolution and other scientific theories and all of its evidences are rather outdated and limited. Most websites I have visited are very much slanted towards one viewpoint or another. And almost none allows for proper dialogue or questions. The common theme seems to be :

1) Look at the evidence
2) Talk to scientists

So here I am. I have found in my life that talking to and surrounding yourself with people who have common ideas or beliefs yields little results. In fact, talking to people with opposing views often times results in more for both. Through the discourse are new ideas just like an intellectual natural selection.

I have no scientific background. If you see me over simplifying then it is usually more for my own benefit then others nor am I trying to disregard anything.

I promise to, the best of my abilities, avoid any of the canards posted here. But if in my ignorance I bring one up then please forgive me. And instead of attacking or labeling me, point me to where the flaw lies. If you attack my personal belief then expect a defense which will sound very much like evangelism which I know is not accepted here. Everything else is fair game.

My personal statement for myself is this : If curiosity killed the cat then "meow."
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hello

#2  Postby wunksta » Mar 27, 2015 10:56 pm

Hey, glad to see that you have a desire to learn and expand your knowledge! What are you interested in learning more about specifically?
The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ironclad » Mar 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Welcome to RatSkep :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 27, 2015 11:09 pm

Greetings!

I am conversing elsewhere about politics and xianity! Which of the 40,000 sects of xianity do you belong to, and if in UK, who are you going to vote for and why? :-)

Doh! In US!

OK do you know any communist christians?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » Mar 27, 2015 11:24 pm

In America? FFS Clive torqumada Durdle, is it tonight?

;)

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 27, 2015 11:28 pm

I wish I could say you won't encounter any derogatory or aggressive posts but I'm afraid some posters here roll like that. Please don't judge us all by that yardstick if, indeed, you encounter such behaviour.

Welcome! :cheers:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#7  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard, lots of good info here.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby scott1328 » Mar 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I wish I could say you won't encounter any derogatory or aggressive posts but I'm afraid some posters here roll like that. Please don't judge us all by that yardstick if, indeed, you encounter such behaviour.

Welcome! :cheers:

And please don't judge us all by Keep It Real, the forum's self-appointed Tone-police.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 27, 2015 11:46 pm

Thanks scott1328 - an important role ascribed to me!
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Liberty!!!!!!! Yeeeehaw!
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#11  Postby Ironclad » Mar 27, 2015 11:55 pm

So there you go OP, we'll bite ourselves before we 'get at the theists'. Happy dayz! Welcome, once again :D

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#12  Postby jinxu » Mar 28, 2015 12:10 am

Thank you everyone. Specific topics include evolution, physics (particularly astrophysics), and whatever else catches my eye.

Communist Christians, hmmm. Do you mean christians in communist countries? Or christians with communistic viewpoints?
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Blackadder » Mar 28, 2015 6:51 am

Welcome Jinxu. This is as diverse a group as any other human group. Some will be gentle and others not. The main thing you will encounter here (which took me aback a little when I first joined its predecessor at RDF) is that for someone coming from a religious viewpoint as I was then, the dismantling of wooly thinking can feel hurtful, as if it's a personal attack. I was religious once and felt that my faith defined me and so an attack on faith felt like a personal attack. It is not. You have to understand that, if you are not to crash and burn like so many theists who have ventured here before. The idea is not the person and bad ideas exist to be destroyed. You may sometimes feel like you are getting a rough ride but stick with it, open your mind and you WILL learn extraordinary things on here. Good luck!
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby michael^3 » Mar 28, 2015 7:55 am

You'll find this forum is full of Christians. In fact, the biggest thread here is an 1888 page long meditation on Jesus called "The Historical Jesus".
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#15  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 28, 2015 8:06 am

Second! Not Brother Andrew et al!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Clive Durdle » Mar 28, 2015 8:08 am

And about evolution and astrophysics, how old do you think the universe is?
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Mar 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Welcome aboard! If you are truly seeking knowledge and not just Trollin' Fer Jebus you'll get a lot of mileage from the forum.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby trubble76 » Mar 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Welcome aboard :cheers:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby TopCat » Mar 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi and welcome.

Out of curiosity, and speaking as an ex-Christian myself, are you open to the possibility of ever not being a Christian in the future? How would you deal with things if you found that a rigorous inspection of evidence led you to doubt the foundations of your belief? You may not have an answer to that, or want to give it if you do, but I'd be interested if you cared to share it.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby jinxu » Mar 29, 2015 2:48 am

TopCat wrote:Hi and welcome.

Out of curiosity, and speaking as an ex-Christian myself, are you open to the possibility of ever not being a Christian in the future? How would you deal with things if you found that a rigorous inspection of evidence led you to doubt the foundations of your belief? You may not have an answer to that, or want to give it if you do, but I'd be interested if you cared to share it.

Never really considered not being a Christian in the future. Call it delusional if you like but my faith is independent of science in that I put my personal experience before anything else when it comes to making decisions.

"rigorous inspection..." Lol, I haven't even needed that in the past to shake my faith, a fortune cookie was enough sometimes! However, these days I think it beneficial for me to have my foundations shaken up from time to time so I do not get lazy in my beliefs.

Clive Durdle wrote:And about evolution and astrophysics, how old do you think the universe is?

That's hard to say and it is why I would like to know more about physics and such that deals with things like that. If you're beating around the bush to ask me if I am a YEC or other type of creationist, then yes I am (though I am reserving judgement on the YEC part). It dawned on my just the other day while re-reading Genesis 1 that it doesn't specifically say that God created the heavens and the earth on Day 1, just that it was created in the beginning, as in simply first / before everything else. Seems like only light was created on Day 1.
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members