Hello

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Hello

#1  Postby LSD » Aug 02, 2015 6:57 pm

I don't usually join forums, I generally prefer to just read. For the most part, I lurked around the jref forums and xkcd. I like reading about the limitless amount of crazy things people believe and I also try to get sources from both sides. Lately, the amount of corruption in politics has gotten to a point where it's hard to know who and what to trust now. I figure this would be a good place to go.

I like the nice simple layout, too.
LSD

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hello

#2  Postby campermon » Aug 02, 2015 7:14 pm

:wave:

Hello LSD, and welcome into the lifeboat ! This is our greeting for all new members and contains some useful stuff for you.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you some helpful resources such as how to modify your membership display settings, how to navigate around the forum, point you to some threads which address commonly asked questions from newbies, and gives you some handy links to other sites which will help you develop your skepticism. It also contains our forum rules, which we ask that you abide by at all times.

If you're new to this type of phpBB software on forums, you might like to take a look at our Handy Hints for Posting On The Forum, which will show you how to change your text, insert images & youtube clips, and do some other cool stuff.

And finally, as a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Aug 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi, LSD. :cheers:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Aug 02, 2015 7:25 pm

Fallible wrote:Hi, LSD. :cheers:

Haven't you had enough already?

:mrgreen:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Emmeline » Aug 02, 2015 7:28 pm

:lol:
Emmeline

Print view this post

#6  Postby Ironclad » Aug 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Welcome to the forum :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#7  Postby LSD » Aug 02, 2015 10:24 pm

I just opened that New Member's Welcome Pack, very cool. I like that the first link is to radiometric dating. I have a JW colleague who is gonna give me some literature on evolution. I haven't gotten it from him yet, but I have a feeling some of it will focus on limits of carbon dating. Thank you for the welcome, glad to be here.
LSD

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Made of Stars » Aug 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Gidday LSD. :cheers:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 02, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm not sure what's more dangerous, LSD or LDS. Just don't fall asleep on LSD. Welcome!
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#10  Postby Fallible » Aug 02, 2015 11:29 pm

campermon wrote:
Fallible wrote:Hi, LSD. :cheers:

Haven't you had enough already?

:mrgreen:

Never! :fly:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby LSD » Aug 02, 2015 11:39 pm

:::)
LSD

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 03, 2015 12:07 am

Welcome LSD! :)

LSD wrote:I just opened that New Member's Welcome Pack, very cool. I like that the first link is to radiometric dating. I have a JW colleague who is gonna give me some literature on evolution. I haven't gotten it from him yet, but I have a feeling some of it will focus on limits of carbon dating. Thank you for the welcome, glad to be here.

JW literature on evolution will have nothing to do with evolution! :grin:

I used to do Bible studies with them when I was a kid - I bet I can predict with fairly high accuracy what the contents of any such literature will be. First, there'll be a picture of a big bowl of sweets of different colours, and the text will tell you that evolutionary theory tells you that this bowl of sweets just upped and sorted itself into an ordered arrangement. It will also point out the probabilities of assorted chemicals arriving at a particular arrangement. Next, some Bible verses they think state how Goddidit, then some 'evidence' of that taken from the natural world. Next up will be scientific hoaxes. Finally, they'll pull the 2nd Corinthians 4:4 out and tell you that evolution is the work of Satan trying to confuse humanity to turn away from God.

Disproving evolution in just 8 glossy pages of mostly pictures and Bible quotes! :drunk:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby LSD » Aug 03, 2015 12:16 am

I always thought the head of the vatican observatory said it best. Scripture was written between 2000 BCE to 200 AD, while modern science, from Galileo to Copernicus to Newton to Einstein was all in the last 500 years. There's no overlap between all we know we modern science and scripture. There's no possible way for scripture to be talking about science. I haven't used that argument against him yet, I want to read the stuff and then bring him some information back. Religious people are tough nuts to crack cause as you said, Goddidit.

The funny thing was he seemed so surprised when I said something about identifying skin color first being an evolutionary trait and he said "So you believe in evolution? Okay, well I'm going to bring you some stuff."

I'm still waiting on it.
LSD

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 03, 2015 1:24 am

LSD wrote:I always thought the head of the vatican observatory said it best. Scripture was written between 2000 BCE to 200 AD, while modern science, from Galileo to Copernicus to Newton to Einstein was all in the last 500 years. There's no overlap between all we know we modern science and scripture. There's no possible way for scripture to be talking about science. I haven't used that argument against him yet, I want to read the stuff and then bring him some information back. Religious people are tough nuts to crack cause as you said, Goddidit.

The funny thing was he seemed so surprised when I said something about identifying skin color first being an evolutionary trait and he said "So you believe in evolution? Okay, well I'm going to bring you some stuff."

I'm still waiting on it.

He gets brownie points for bringing you stuff, so I expect he will actually do it! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Briton » Aug 03, 2015 8:54 am

Hello LSD.

Trust Bernie. ;)
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post