Hello, that was easy.

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#21  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
scherado wrote:...
FYI, I programmed in a dozen different languages between college and when I left my programming job.

So you say. I don't want to know how many you used. I want to know what you learned about languages.


I didn't "say" anything.

I have written in these languages, in order learned:

APL (IBM, "A Programming Language", interpretive, College & Job)
APL2 (College & Job)
PASCAL (College, compiler)
PASCAL2 (College, compiler)
PROLOG (College, interpretive)
FORTRAN (College)
ASSEMBLY (College & Job training)
COBOL (College)
PL1 (IBM, "Programming Language 1")
REXX (IBM, Scripting language, HTML is a kind of "scripting language")
C (Grad school)
C++ (Grad school)

You wrote: "I want to know what you learned about languages."

I can tell you that it is precisely my programming language experience that informed the basis for my argument on the error of using X + Y = Z (2 + 2 = 5) to mock another's inability or refusal to acknowledge an "obvious" truth.

In software, "+" has a precise meaning and what is permitted to appear on the left and right of it, too, is well-defined and unambiguous. In grade school the things to the left and right of "+" were just numbers.
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 284

Country: U. S. A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#22  Postby Macdoc » Oct 11, 2018 8:06 pm

"truth value" :nono: ...flavourless chew toy on offer :popcorn:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 17344
Age: 74
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#23  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Macdoc wrote:"truth value" :nono: ...flavourless chew toy on offer :popcorn:

Something that's not factual has no truth-value. Think of "accuracy", I'm sure you know what that means.
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 284

Country: U. S. A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#24  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Strange...people usually have to get to know me a bit before they start ignoring me :scratch:
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#25  Postby Thommo » Oct 11, 2018 8:41 pm

I'm confused "Truth value" is actually a strictly defined conventional term*. It does not appear to be being used in any way I've seen before here. :scratch:

*It's 0 or 1 for classical logics, 0,1,2,... for multivalent logics and [0,1] for at least some fuzzy logics.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#26  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Thommo wrote:I'm confused "Truth value" is actually a strictly defined conventional term*. ...

I did not know that; what context, where?
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 284

Country: U. S. A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#27  Postby Thommo » Oct 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Mathematics, logic, computer science.

It shows up on google, actually.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#28  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Do you think humans share a common ancestor with gorillas scherado?

I do not know.

What I do know is that we will learn a great deal when or if we find life off Earth.
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 284

Country: U. S. A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#29  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 8:53 pm

So that would be a "no" then. Didn't see that coming, much.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#30  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Thommo wrote:Mathematics, logic, computer science.

It shows up on google, actually.

You can be sure that I'm using the term "truth-value" in a non-controversial way. Please notice the little connector "-". Perhaps, that will help your comprehension.

I ask you, what is the truth-value of this?: "If we don't STOP spewing carbon-dioxide into the atmosphere at current levels, we'll all be dead in 20 years."
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 284

Country: U. S. A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#31  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 9:02 pm

AGW and evolution denial...skipping down the road hand in hand like Spotty and Super Ted.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#32  Postby Thommo » Oct 11, 2018 9:06 pm

scherado wrote:
Thommo wrote:Mathematics, logic, computer science.

It shows up on google, actually.

You can be sure that I'm using the term "truth-value" in a non-controversial way. Please notice the little connector "-". Perhaps, that will help your comprehension.


Whatever. I'm not really in the mood for being condescended to.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#33  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Keep It Real wrote:So that would be a "no" then. Didn't see that coming, much.

No. I didn't respond "no".

Is there something wrong with you? Which of the words did you not comprehend in, "I do not know."

I ask you outright, what form will life off Earth take? I bet it's too much for you to consider.
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 284

Country: U. S. A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#34  Postby scott1328 » Oct 11, 2018 9:14 pm

What truth value do you assign to counter-factual speculation?
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8721
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#35  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm

scherado wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:So that would be a "no" then. Didn't see that coming, much.

No. I didn't respond "no".

Is there something wrong with you? Which of the words did you not comprehend in, "I do not know."

I ask you outright, what form will life off Earth take? I bet it's too much for you to consider.


You do not think that humans and gorillas share a common ancestor, you "don't know" which is a negative ("no" or to put it another way "no, I don't know") to the question posed.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#36  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Your username reminded me of this tune however, and the lyrics are oh so apt, so thanks for that!

User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#37  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
scherado wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:So that would be a "no" then. Didn't see that coming, much.

No. I didn't respond "no".

Is there something wrong with you? Which of the words did you not comprehend in, "I do not know."

I ask you outright, what form will life off Earth take? I bet it's too much for you to consider.


You do not think that humans and gorillas share a common ancestor, you "don't know" which is a negative ("no" or to put it another way "no, I don't know") to the question posed.

You, apparently, are one of those people who can't abide uncertainty. That's your problem, not mine. I've examined things over many years, I'm 57, and when I declare, "I don't know," it's after extensive consideration, decades. I'm not one of those Agnostics who hasn't labored over the evidence and just quits thinking.

I've seen the evidence and think there's something missing or unknown. Capice?
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 284

Country: U. S. A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#38  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm

EDIT: what's missing?
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 9325
Age: 40

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#39  Postby Thommo » Oct 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Keep It Real wrote:EDIT: what's missing?


Either an "r" or an "s" depending on whether he meant "caprice" or "capisce". One can only speculate on whether that affects the "truth value", or even "truth-value".
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27175

Print view this post

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#40  Postby newolder » Oct 11, 2018 10:04 pm

scherado wrote:...
You, apparently, are one of those people who can't abide uncertainty. That's your problem, not mine. I've examined things over many years, I'm 57, and when I declare, "I don't know," it's after extensive consideration, decades. I'm not one of those Agnostics who hasn't labored over the evidence and just quits thinking.

I've seen the evidence and think there's something missing or unknown. Capice?

We have a poster hereabouts, Rumraket, who wrote a guest entry at another poster's blog* about the evidence for common descent that includes:
...
The greatest agreement between theory and observation in all of science, is the agreement between the theory of common descent, and the significance of the convergence of independent phylogenetic trees. As we have just seen above, the phylogenetic tree of primates can be observationally verified to an accuracy of over three hundred decimal places.
...

I wonder, does the remainder of that blog post help fill in your blanks and unknowns?

What is Capice, BTW? Is it something connected with climate change (I'm reading it as cap-ice)? :dunno:

* https://www.hackenslash.co.uk/2018/01/g ... ience.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7405
Age: 1
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome New Members

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest